AWD vs. FWD ... in snow | Page 6 | GTAMotorcycle.com

AWD vs. FWD ... in snow

ATGATT attempts to decrease the damage to you body when/if you crash. Winter tires and AWD/4WD do not.

ATGATT implies that you are aware of the possibility of crashing. Winter tires and AWD/4WD imply that you are aware of the possibility of losing traction.

Of course there's a segment of the population that "dress for the slide, not for the ride". But ask any of the guys on rnickeymouse if they'd ever pull the stuff they do on Mullholland if they were were wearing flip-flops, shorts, t-shirt and no-lid. The answer would be "no way, I'd get hurt".

This is the same mentality of the guys in AWD SUVs and winter tires who fly by you on icy conditions and end up in the ditch. If they were on All-Seasons and FWD, they'd probably have a bit more common sense/sense of self-preservation, and still be on the road instead of in the ditch.

I'm not saying ATGATT and AWD+Winter Tires are bad (of course they are not), but for a segment of the population, it emboldens them to do stupid things.

Last edited:
This is the same mentality of the guys in AWD SUVs and winter tires who fly by you on icy conditions .

That would be me, and I love it. except in the last 16 years, I've never ended up in a ditch. When you know your vehicle, and know your tires limits, Unstoppable. Rock on....

I'm not saying ATGATT and AWD+Winter Tires are bad (of course they are not), but for a segment of the population, it emboldens them to do stupid things.

I love belonging to this segment!
What's better than driving 149kph by someone who's doing 35kph in a foot of snow on the highway? You can almost hear the cursing and swearing as you fly by! Fifty years of driving like an idiot, 90% of those without winter / snow tires......no ditch, no splat......yet.

Of course there's a segment of the population that "dress for the slide, not for the ride". But ask any of the guys on rnickeymouse if they'd ever pull the stuff they do on Mullholland if they were were wearing flip-flops, shorts, t-shirt and no-lid. The answer would be "no way, I'd get hurt".

This is the same mentality of the guys in AWD SUVs and winter tires who fly by you on icy conditions and end up in the ditch. If they were on All-Seasons and FWD, they'd probably have a bit more common sense/sense of self-preservation, and still be on the road instead of in the ditch.

Also ask them if they'd be pushing as hard if there were no cameras around lol.
I've gotten myself into a few good messes offroad over the years "for the camera".

Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk

I love belonging to this segment!
What's better than driving 149kph by someone who's doing 35kph in a foot of snow on the highway? You can almost hear the cursing and swearing as you fly by! Fifty years of driving like an idiot, 90% of those without winter / snow tires......no ditch, no splat......yet.

That would be me, and I love it. except in the last 16 years, I've never ended up in a ditch. When you know your vehicle, and know your tires limits, Unstoppable. Rock on....

Of course you guys do. I wouldn't expect the replies to be any different.

Because if you guys did put on winter tires and end up in the ditch, would you be replying to this thread lamenting about what an idiot you were? Of course not.

But it still happens and we see it on the roads every winter.

Selection Bias Responses.

Just like there are guys who start out on literbikes and crash them due to inexperience. You'll never see them come on GTAM and post, "I should have started out on a 250". Yet it still happens.

Instead, you'll only hear from the guy that started on on a literbike who tells everyone they've never had a crash.

Of course he didn't.

Of course.

You call it bias, I call it driver confidence and ability.

its pretty much accepted that 90% of the population lack proper driving skill in any type of weather.

you call it bias, i call it driver confidence and ability.

Its pretty much accepted that 90% of the population lack proper driving skill in any type of weather.

lol

You call it bias, I call it driver confidence and ability.

its pretty much accepted that 90% of the population lack proper driving skill in any type of weather.

I'd bet money that you aren't nearly as skilled as you think you are.

All you folks sniping at each other should put your money where your mouth is. Meet at TMP in Feb and compare lap times in the snow. I'm game and I'll throw money on it.

All you folks sniping at each other should put your money where your mouth is. Meet at TMP in Feb and compare lap times in the snow. I'm game and I'll throw money on it.
I'll have to get new snows for the minivan if I really want to be competitive.

Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk

Is that really a thing? Sounds like fun.

Of course there's a segment of the population that "dress for the slide, not for the ride". But ask any of the guys on rnickeymouse if they'd ever pull the stuff they do on Mullholland if they were were wearing flip-flops, shorts, t-shirt and no-lid. The answer would be "no way, I'd get hurt". This is the same mentality of the guys in AWD SUVs and winter tires who fly by you on icy conditions and end up in the ditch. If they were on All-Seasons and FWD, they'd probably have a bit more common sense/sense of self-preservation, and still be on the road instead of in the ditch. I'm not saying ATGATT and AWD+Winter Tires are bad (of course they are not), but for a segment of the population, it emboldens them to do stupid things.
No. EGO. It's ego. That segment could be dressed like thong man on an '80's supersport, or driving an old 5.0 Mustang with bald tires, and they're still going to think they're better than everyone else. The big takeaway though, is that we are all like this to some degree or other. We almost all believe that we're above average drivers, even though that's statistically impossible.

We almost all believe that we're above average drivers, even though that's statistically impossible.

Taking a sample from a motorcycle enthusiast site I would say it's statistically probable. Now if this were the off topic forum on an extreme crocheting site, I would agree with you.

Is that really a thing? Sounds like fun.
Thats how all motorized vehicle racing starts :rolleyes:
except djm wants to wager a cash bet on it so that is a grey area because then it becomes gambling.

"We almost all believe that we're above average drivers, even though that's statistically impossible."
lol most of us probably are better then average drivers, there are enough really bad or brand new drivers out there to make it a pretty big bell curve

Last edited:
Did someone mention gambling?

And. Where does one sign up for the doings at tmp in the snow? I know someone who's interested.

Back
Top Bottom