Single vehicle bike accident affect car insurance ? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Single vehicle bike accident affect car insurance ?

Vontwowheels

Hey guys, so first season with my bike and managed to put it down, right in front of my house doing maybe 10Khm.
No cuts, bruises or head injuries, protective equipment and all but broke my knee guess that's that

If I put a claim through my insurance (I only have comprehensive) incase of physio and stuff, will my car insurance go up?
They're not with the same company

Thanks guys, and well be safe.
Glenn

I've heard yes, claim is a claim regardless of vehicle. Plus if you ever hunt for a new company you have to declare it for the next 6ish years.

I know this is living in a dream world idea, but for ***** and giggles I thought I would throw this out there. Why do we not buy vehicle insurance for an individual and not a vehicle. In other words, I pay for my insurance for me based on my record and regardless of what I drive or how many vehicles I own. I can only operate one vehicle at a time anyway. I know it's crazy and/or wishful thinking and would mean that insurance companies would not make as much money but maybe fraud is curtailed to some degree. Maybe it helps vehicle sales increase.

flame away.

I know this is living in a dream world idea, but for ***** and giggles I thought I would throw this out there. Why do we not buy vehicle insurance for an individual and not a vehicle. In other words, I pay for my insurance for me based on my record and regardless of what I drive or how many vehicles I own. I can only operate one vehicle at a time anyway. I know it's crazy and/or wishful thinking and would mean that insurance companies would not make as much money but maybe fraud is curtailed to some degree. Maybe it helps vehicle sales increase.

flame away.

It could work, but there would have to be a ton of conditions on it as the vehicle you are driving grossly affects the potential claims you file. You might be able to have a blanket for any unmodified four wheel vehicle with less than 300 hp and worth less than $50,000 for example. If you want a blanket policy to protect you from everything the insurance company has to assume you are going to crash a Britten or chiron and price you accordingly.

I know this is living in a dream world idea, but for ***** and giggles I thought I would throw this out there. Why do we not buy vehicle insurance for an individual and not a vehicle...
I already posted that, nobody flamed it, that's the way the liability portion of our mandatory insurance Should work.

Unfortunately, the situation in Ontario is that it's best to not file any claim in which you would be deemed at-fault, if you can possibly help it. You will end up paying over and over for it, on ALL vehicles that you are insured on, for the next six years. A single-vehicle collision is by definition considered to be your fault.

Unfortunately, the situation in Ontario is that it's best to not file any claim in which you would be deemed at-fault, if you can possibly help it. You will end up paying over and over for it, on ALL vehicles that you are insured on, for the next six years. A single-vehicle collision is by definition considered to be your fault.

I was told that they could only hammer you on one vehicle. If you had a bike, car and truck each with a premium of $1500 a year they could only significantly double one policy, go from $4500 to $6,000 not $9000.

Firstly, hopefully you're recovering ok from your injury. To answer your question, and I can only speak for Allstate insurance because that's what I'm familiar with (but I do believe the same rules apply for other insurers), but your motorcycle accidents DO NOT impact your car insurance premiums. They are separate. So if you get into an at fault single vehicle bike accident your car insurance rate will not increase as a result. However, the accident may impact your eligibility when reapplying for motorcycle insurance in the near term as insurers will look at motorcycle insurance claims history when assessing whether you qualify under their guidelines for motorcycle insurance. But to stay on topic, it will not impact your car insurance rate.

Cheers,
Matthew

Glad you're mostly OK.

I would have personally avoided making a claim at all and dealt with the injury some other way. It may make it difficult for you to get motorcycle insurance moving forward - I know in my first year of street riding in the early 90's I did something similar and at my renewal I was told that they "no longer had a market for me", which is their polite way of saying "We aren't interested in your business anymore, go away".

I had to find another carrier (at way more $$$$) to keep my bike on the road.

Back
Top Bottom