Is it time to finally give up the R6 dream? | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Is it time to finally give up the R6 dream?

That's the most inspirational and actually applicable thing I've read on GTAM, ever.
But as others have noted, you do have time. Also, you can try going for a couple test rides on some at a Yamaha dealership to really feel it during season. Or this season, you still got a couple months before they'll probably say no.

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk
I catch all of Mina's inspirational quotes. You should follow on Insta for a daily dose......now I just need to actually apply the stuff he posts.

Imho we've all had that "dream" (insert item here).
You lust and lust for it and then you finally get it and then it's just meh. Sometimes you need to just evaluate your wants and needs and then prioritize.
To play off of @Mina's comment; I tell my kids all the time: "You can have anything that you want, you just can't have everything."

Now with all that being said....my entire life I pictured owning a certain type of bike. Or more specifically, a bike with a certain look. And when I got my license, I got that bike. 8 years later, and it still makes me smile all the time.

Sent from my purple G4 using Tapatalk

I catch all of Mina's inspirational quotes. You should follow on Insta for a daily dose......now I just need to actually apply the stuff he posts.

Imho we've all had that "dream" (insert item here).
You lust and lust for it and then you finally get it and then it's just meh. Sometimes you need to just evaluate your wants and needs and then prioritize.
To play off of @Mina's comment; I tell my kids all the time: "You can have anything that you want, you just can't have everything."

Now with all that being said....my entire life I pictured owning a certain type of bike. Or more specifically, a bike with a certain look. And when I got my license, I got that bike. 8 years later, and it still makes me smile all the time.

Sent from my purple G4 using Tapatalk
Good on you Joe, haven't gotten my dream bike yet and I hope when I do it's still my dream

Sent from my ZTE B2017G using GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app

If I listened to all the retirees on this forum I would still be riding a 125cc and be bored out of my mind

Hear hear.

If you are bored out of your mind riding any sized motorcycle you are doing it wrong, or you bought something totally crappy to start with.

[video=youtube_share;qMVNAYqnRT0]https://youtu.be/qMVNAYqnRT0[/video]

I got my R6 when I was 18, I'm 21 now and I'm considering taking it off the street, it's just not a practical every day bike. Look at something like the new MT09. Still has heaps of torque for playing around but won't kill you on insurance. As soon as the MT becomes affordable in the used market, the R6 will be permanently converted to a track bike. I'm getting stick of swapping bodywork each time :D

Or I'll pick up a new gen R1 and throw rational thinking out the window, time will tell

If you are bored out of your mind riding any sized motorcycle you are doing it wrong, or you bought something totally crappy to start with.

[video=youtube_share;qMVNAYqnRT0]https://youtu.be/qMVNAYqnRT0[/video]

Hear hear!

I got my R6 when I was 18, I'm 21 now and I'm considering taking it off the street, it's just not a practical every day bike. Look at something like the new MT09. Still has heaps of torque for playing around but won't kill you on insurance. As soon as the MT becomes affordable in the used market, the R6 will be permanently converted to a track bike. I'm getting stick of swapping bodywork each time :D

Or I'll pick up a new gen R1 and throw rational thinking out the window, time will tell

Were you a millionaire at 19?! Even my DRZ insurance was scary my first year

Actually, I hit 1 million at 17 :)

Let's just say having someone in the family who is willing to get their M2 helps alot... Like ~$110/month instead of $400+/month
So insurance fraud then?

Sent from my SM-N9500 using Tapatalk

Basically. All the cool kids are doing it...
So insurance fraud then?

Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk

So insurance fraud then?

Basically. All the cool kids are doing it...

Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk

One of those situations where if nothing happens, you save a few thousand dollars, but if something does, all it would take is an insurance company who really doesn't want to pay out (any large at fault claim) to look into the nitty gritty details, and you may be F'ed for life.

Short term gain for a potential​ of long term pain.

One of those situations where if nothing happens, you save a few thousand dollars, but if something does, all it would take is an insurance company who really doesn't want to pay out (any large at fault claim) to look into the nitty gritty details, and you may be F'ed for life.

Short term gain for a potential​ of long term pain.
Let's not forget the impact to all our rates because of the cost of fighting fraud, litigation, paying out claims for risks that were not properly rated, etc...

All he's doing is pushing the cost of insuring him on to the rest of us. There's a reason he was rated at 4x what he was paying...

Wow growing old has it's benefits I guess, TDMM just quoted me $1267 full coverage.... And I may be posting this evening that I got an R6 lol

Wow growing old has it's benefits I guess, TDMM just quoted me $1267 full coverage.... And I may be posting this evening that I got an R6 lol

Woo-Hoo! Exciting stuff, let's see a picture! If it's a 08+ you should get in touch with Jamie for an ECU flash. It works wonders on even a stock bike as far as both peak power and power delivery goes.

Woo-Hoo! Exciting stuff, let's see a picture! If it's a 08+ you should get in touch with Jamie for an ECU flash. It works wonders on even a stock bike as far as both peak power and power delivery goes.

It's an 03, found it on kijiji when I was looking for a winter project bike. Seems nearly mint mechanically and cosmetically, was $2400 with 17k, included yoshi, stands, booster pack, helmet and jacket. New battery, new tires. All in all it showed very nicely and sounds amazing with the yoshi on it. I'm going to pick it up tomorrow. I've always loved the look of these bikes, very sexy with just the right amount of aggression on the face.

ziEzLxX.jpg
3TIPG1T.jpg

22 y/o male. Will have had insurance on my '17 cbr 500r for a year (put about 4500Km on it this year) when I want to upgrade. Living in the rural area of Brampton. Two speeding tickets (15 over both times), no claims

I've gotten to the point on my bike where feel I am way too tall for the 500 and have enough experience to be comfortable on something bigger.

Is finding insurance for a 2017 R6 a possibility next summer or will they make me keep on waiting?

willing to pay what I have to to a degree but anything over $5000 a year is ridiculous.
IMHO you are not ready for an R6. You have 4500KM experience on a nice beginner bike and you want to hop onto a race ready 600 -- recipe for disaster and that's why insurance companies are providing 'deterrent' pricing. Get some experience on what you have, or something similar that is tame enough to learn on. Maybe try a 650, most of those are in the ST category so insurance will not kill you. Bikes like Suzuki SV650, Kawi ER650 are a lot cheaper to insure and a lot tamer for novice riders.

I know you probably think you are ready, take it from an old dog who has trained a lot of riders, 4500KM on a baby Honda isn't enough to put you into a race bike.

Back
Top Bottom