I'm Going For Motorcycle Trip To Most Dangerous Nation In The World | GTAMotorcycle.com

I'm Going For Motorcycle Trip To Most Dangerous Nation In The World

Pegassus

Site Supporter
Yes you heard it right, tomorrow Im departing (by airplane) and going on a motorcycle trip to El Salvador, Honduras and Guatemala, one of those places (El Salvador) was deemed the most the most violent and dangerous place in the world after Syria. Its not the first time I take this adventure trip. I did the trip years back and posted some pics. My Toronto neighbor is from there and I was invited to go with him for a cross-country motorcycle tour, it was a blast!

You might ask why in hell go there, well the fact that its the most dangerous place in the western hemisphere is what makes it spicy and exotic to go there. Plus their tropical beaches and pretty women and 38C + sunny weather. They have virgin white-sand beaches there that nobody owns.

We will be crossing the country and the 2 other neighbors in Central America with a Yara Serpento 250cc and a Honda XL 250cc. They go 120 km/h and with the narrow, winding mountain roads there that's enough challenge even for a skilled rider. And don't forget the flock of cows that suddenly run into the middle of the street while going 120 km'h and while you are looking at some volcano.

Okay here are some pics and a video of the place where Im going tomorrow on a 2-week motorcycle adventure;

CerroVerde_elsalvador-e31700e13de1.jpg

el_salvador.jpg

elcuco2web-800x536.jpg

Rd_to_SS.jpg

El%2BSalvador%2B-%2Besquintla.jpg

031.jpg

-
-
-
-
Here is the thread from years back whe I took this same trip...........................

http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforu...tside-Of-North-America)&highlight=el+salvador

-

looks fabulous, congrats
and it's good to get out of the comfort zone every now and then

Looks like a fantastic adventure. Should be fun, just don't get in anyone's way if you know what I mean. I always thought it is an incredible shame the way those Central American countries are so crime-ridden. It could be like paradise.

Not all are ...Costa Rica does very well and to a lesser degree Belize.... S Chicago and LA not so safe either.

Looks nice!

I'm already salivating over a return to Thailand next year.

Thailand and especially India are in my bucket list too! Well Im already here arrived last night. We were going to take off at noon today for a short ride but my friend just discovered this morning that the licence plates are expired lol Will take care of the ptoblem in a short trip to the equivalent of the MTO about 23 km from here.

Enjoy and ride safe. Post pics when you get back.

Rode to Panama and back this past spring. Passed through and stayed in all three of those countries. No problems whatsoever. The border crossings are an exercise in patience if you don't speak Spanish. El Salvador was one of the easiest, most pleasant border crossings. The border agent was courteous, professional and couldn't have been nicer. The government of El Salvador is trying to shed their old image of crime and corruption and this border agent perfectly embodied the new attitude and practices of the country. While he personally walked us through the immigration process (easy in all countries except Nicaragua) and the importation of our bikes,(this is the procedure at the border that takes all the time) he commandeered a couple of soldiers to keep an eye on our bikes while we were in the building waiting for the paper work to be filled out. In the customs office there are large posters that explain how to report crime and corruption. In Salvador there are posters on the street light poles rallying against crime and corruption.
No problems in Honduras or Guatemala either... Nicaragua on the other hand, I wouldn't visit now. When we were travelling north back through it was the beginning of a revolution. Not for the faint of heart.
Have a great trip it's an interesting part of the world.

the crime in Latin America unfortunately eats up all the oxygen
I've found the people to be very warm, welcoming and helpful
and like anywhere, exercise common sense about where you go

it's also a good idea at every opportunity to point out that you are Canadian
since the Trump situation, with the wall and the deportations etc
Gringos are not popular with some people
I was corrected when in Mexico on business in July
always assumed we were also Gringos, we are not in the minds of Latinos

Most of the crime doesn’t impact tourists. It’s gang on gang over turf. One of the most heartbreaking stories I read a while back is that a couple of bus touts (small kids who shout out to pedestrians to try to get them to use the buses they work on) were killed in order to force the drivers to hand over protection money, can’t remember which country that was in, Guatemala I think. The kids were something like 13. Costa Rica does have quite a bit more petty crime now but if you’re careful you’ll never have issues. I’ve been to all those countries and many of them look after tourists as they see that as their future. I was given an armed guard in El Salvador years back when visiting a volcano crater outside the capital but that was a bit of overkill. Tegucigalpa in Honduras was sketchy though....I got followed by a big gang of kids until I ducked into a mall as I had a weird feeling something bad might happen.

El Salvador is an awesome place to visit. I paid a cabdriver to take me all over the country, my hotel made me sign a waiver. Visited archeological ruins, markets, the city etc. I asked him if he had a gun...he said no but he said “if you see me run, you run”. Some of the houses in one part where the civil war was particularly violent still had old bombs as gate posts. To be fair, it has gotten more violent since I went as the gang truce ended not so long back. They’re back to hacking each other to pieces.

It’s not whether Pegasus can survive South America, it’s whether South America can survive Pegasus.

I’m jealous!

Sure looks sketch based on your pictures...

..Tom

Yeah, especially that road with only four cars on it. When you're from Toronto that's almost dystopian, like everyone was stolen by aliens or World War Z or something.

Back
Top Bottom