Finally ... hybrid vehicles ... anything other than Prius? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Finally ... hybrid vehicles ... anything other than Prius?

EC2010

Alright, wife still not fully convinced of EV, so decided on Hybrids for now. Looking at Prius (Prius base or Prius Prime). Any other comparables folks here have tried? Hyundai Ioniq? Honda Insight?

Need to keep cost to about $3-400 a month on a lease to make it worthwhile. She can get a gas vehicle to about $320 a month and fill up of gas on that would be about $60 a week....

Alright, wife still not fully convinced of EV, so decided on Hybrids for now. Looking at Prius (Prius base or Prius Prime). Any other comparables folks here have tried? Hyundai Ioniq? Honda Insight?

Need to keep cost to about $3-400 a month on a lease to make it worthwhile. She can get a gas vehicle to about $320 a month and fill up of gas on that would be about $60 a week....

Without stupid government rebates, I can't see these being the most cost-effective solution. If you are doing it to save the environment or similar, go nuts.

My shopping list would include Volt, Insight, Ioniq, Prime if you want PIEV (some of these are far ahead of others for me, but I would still look at all of them to confirm my feelings). Any of the PIEV with sub 30 km range seem dumb to me so they would be off my list (eg. Pacifica, Outlander, Energi). Non plug-in hybrids don't make sense to me at this point. So much cost and complexity added for minimal possible future savings.

Last edited:
I have Prius V, 2017. I got demo one with 4000km on it, my monthly payment is 415$ all in. I do 650km before light for low gas turns on ( there is 7L in the tank left). All together i love the car, lot of space, very comfy.....
I forgot, mine is with Technology Package

Last edited:
Another vote for a Prius V (just a regular Prius should fit the bill). Thing goes forever on 38 litres of gas. You cannot get anything more reliable and price wise the regular Prius should be in your range. Super low maintenance and if you plan on owning it for a long time you have the one you know will last the longest.

I have a 2014 Camry Hybrid. Looks like a regular car. I keep driving while the empty light is on, farther then I would with a regular car. Good on gas. But it all depends on how you drive it like most cars, heavy on the pedal, more fuel.
No issues just basic maintenance, oil, gas, and brake cleaning. Noting has been replaced so far but might soon as I am reaching 100k.

I had a Ford Fusion hybrid as a rental in the US a while back. If you drove it like a normal car it got 45-ish mpg US. If you did some mild hypermiling techniques - like minimizing how much the engine ran but making sure that when the engine was running, it was running under load - it could be coaxed up to 60-ish and that's with staying with normal traffic speed. The main bad thing with that particular car is that the battery eats up trunk space. Same is true of a few other cars that are the hybrid versions of normally non-hybrid gasoline engine cars. I think the earlier Camry hybrid was like that but the new one might have fixed this.

The Fusion hybrid drives like a normal Fusion, with decent acceleration and well-sorted ride, handling, braking, and steering. I liked it quite a bit. Priuses ... aren't like that. (well, supposedly the new one is better, but they broke the styling when they fixed the chassis.) Priuses before the current one have video-game steering feel - that is to say, none. I despised the one that I drove briefly.

The Ioniq is supposed to be pretty good but I haven't driven one.

The economics aren't as attractive now that the government incentives are gone. Crunch the numbers for whether they make sense for you.

I'd have no reservations about buying a Volt. But I have an ordinary non-hybrid cheap car.

Ignore the Fusion hybrid, the lost space in the trunk shows the hybrid system was an "afterthought" and not an integral part of the design of the car, Ford is killing Fusions and pretty much their entire car line up, so re sale will take a hit down the road, and parts will get harder to find.

If anybody is currently in the market for a higher end Civic, you would be foolish not to pay $4g more for the Insight Hybrid. It LOOKS better, is slightly roomier, more refined, and interior is up a notch. Not only do you get better gas mileage, you get a far better and refined car for a bit more money. No need for govt rebates here folks.

and you won't look like a dork driving one like you would with a Prius.

Last edited:
Trunk space is the only compromise in hybrids. My Camry folds down 1 seat with a dinky pass through. Enough for about 8 2x4's but thats it. Otherwise the trunk itself is decent.

The new Prius' is kind funky looking, they really stand out on the road.

I looked at the civic back when I was shopping a while back. Liked the handling and power from such a small engine. But the size was a bit cramped for me (6'2") Otherwise great cars.

img_4165.jpg

Back
Top Bottom