Ninja 300 to a cruiser | GTAMotorcycle.com

Ninja 300 to a cruiser

Moff

I have been riding a Ninja 300 for 2 years looking at upgrading to a middleweight cruiser. Can't decide on which one, I like the Vulcan 900 but also the Iron 883. I know I won't get the handling of the Ninja with a cruiser and would love to ride a Hayabusa or Vfr 800, but the insurance on these bikes are too much. I would welcome thoughts and Ideas?

Vulcan S 650
sporty handling with cruiser - foot forward ergos
same platform as the ninja 650 and Versys
cheap insurance

What about the Vulcan 900?

solid cruiser, handles like a typical cruiser
insurance rates are starting to creep up for mid range cruisers
Vulcan S is not sport bike, raked out front end, average brakes
but far more capable than a standard cruiser for a bit of spirited riding
hard to find a good deal on used though...they've only been around a few years
sellers seem to be trying to get the purchase price back

I have been riding a Ninja 300 for 2 years looking at upgrading to a middleweight cruiser. Can't decide on which one, I like the Vulcan 900 but also the Iron 883. I know I won't get the handling of the Ninja with a cruiser and would love to ride a Hayabusa or Vfr 800, but the insurance on these bikes are too much. I would welcome thoughts and Ideas?

Before everyone gets going too far . . . What do you need that the Ninja 300 won't give you?

Commuting?
Long distance riding?
Highways?
Backroads/Gravel?
Pillion comfort?
Rider comfort?
Camping?
Carrying more stuff?
Range?
Acceleration?
Lean angle?
Ease of parking?
Less shifting?
Looks?
Other things not included above?

I would start by asking my insurance broker what my 5 star minimal coverage insurance rates would be for, a Vulcan 900, Iron 883, Hayabusa and a Vfr 800 ;) maybe add a BMW in there for comparison.

Know anyone that rides a Hayabusa and how much they pay for insurance. I am not against cruisers but I personally find them not as good in the handling performance, my Ninja 300 handles great. I believe the Hayabusa is a great bike as long as you have self control.

I have both the Ninja and the cruiser and plan on keeping both, one for the city and commuting and one for the weekend and long rides in the country. Yes best of both worlds. If you can afford it keep your Ninja so you dont regret it later. Good luck to you my friend.

Know anyone that rides a Hayabusa and how much they pay for insurance. I am not against cruisers but I personally find them not as good in the handling performance, my Ninja 300 handles great. I believe the Hayabusa is a great bike as long as you have self control.
thats a poor way to price out insurance for you, if insurance companies want the business they have to give you a quote and if they don't want to give you a quote on it then you probably can't afford it and they know it.
and hate to sound like a kill joy but your self control is not the problem, your ability to ride the bike is the challenge, it's a relatively big wide powerful motorcycle with massive powerful brakes and ludicrous horsepower of which you will be regularly using ~10 % of. Cruiser is a relatively bigger wider lower heavier ride fitted with marginal brakes and suspension, on which you will be using 99% of the available power on a regular occasion.

thats a poor way to price out insurance for you, if insurance companies want the business they have to give you a quote and if they don't want to give you a quote on it then you probably can't afford it and they know it.
and hate to sound like a kill joy but your self control is not the problem, your ability to ride the bike is the challenge, it's a relatively big wide powerful motorcycle with massive powerful brakes and ludicrous horsepower of which you will be regularly using ~10 % of. Cruiser is a relatively bigger wider lower heavier ride fitted with marginal brakes and suspension, on which you will be using 99% of the available power on a regular occasion.

Could just get a VMax, it's a cruiser. 99% you say? :lmao:

Could just get a VMax, it's a cruiser. 99% you say? :lmao:
They sure sound like they are at 99% every time I blow past one ;)
and I'm guessing the ones trying desperately to pass my travel trailer on highway #7 asap are fairly tapped out.

wasn't V-max the first ever power cruiser. and that's a V4 not a V-twin cruiser, huge difference

Last edited:
Just for kicks I called insurance today as I'm still in a similar boat....

CBR500R - $770/year
VFR800 - $1300/year
GSXR600 - $790/year

Honestly for me it looks like it's just engine size that makes the difference instead of actual bike....I'm tempted to try the GSXR600 for kicks as the insurance is not much more than the CBR500R.

Have you considered the Rebel 500? Used pricing is on par with new for the most part as people are trying to recover most of their money...tax...PDI...and interest...

You should try a Triumph Bobber on for size and insurance.

my18-bobberblackherorhs-lb.jpg

Good answers,
I may ride the ninja 300 for another season. Hayabusa is a dream bike and I get what your saying, but it would be nice too have that power if you need it. As far as insurance goes I was looking for a ballpark figure by someone who rides one.

Good answers,
I may ride the ninja 300 for another season. Hayabusa is a dream bike and I get what your saying, but it would be nice too have that power if you need it. As far as insurance goes I was looking for a ballpark figure by someone who rides one.
Nobody NEEDS the power of a hayabusa, ever. Just saying...

Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk

I went from a brand new cbr300 to a 35 year old muscle cruiser and haven't looked back. Much more suited for long distance stuff, but still nimble and sporty feeling. That new rebel 500 looks pretty sweet, but if you're good at tinkering you could always grab something a bit older to fix up over the winter. I grabbed this for 1000$, worked on it for 2 months, then put over 14000km on this season without skipping a beat.

xNUqBFw.jpg

Talk about cheap insurance! ;) keeps up with the mid-size sport bikes no problem, and the sound, oh the sound...

I went from a brand new cbr300 to a 35 year old muscle cruiser and haven't looked back. Much more suited for long distance stuff, but still nimble and sporty feeling. That new rebel 500 looks pretty sweet, but if you're good at tinkering you could always grab something a bit older to fix up over the winter. I grabbed this for 1000$, worked on it for 2 months, then put over 14000km on this season without skipping a beat.

xNUqBFw.jpg

Talk about cheap insurance! ;) keeps up with the mid-size sport bikes no problem, and the sound, oh the sound...
Honda Nighthawk? Looks great!

xNUqBFw.jpg

What is that thing? And what are other examples of a 'muscle cruiser'?

Back
Top Bottom