"Don't have time to ride anymore": WTF? | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

"Don't have time to ride anymore": WTF?

I was dying to get an SS pretty much since I was 14 yrs old...20 years later I finally got one...but the fun is over for some reason... when I sell it will say lost interest
Gonna change your gtam handle then too.

Sent from my purple G4 using Tapatalk

Would you rather them say I have more important things to do with my time. Haven't had a bike since having kids. I do rent some times, ride in the states. Between maintaining a house, cottage, kids activities, cycling. Not much time left over.

Perhaps a baby just arrived...totally changes a life style.

"Just had a baby" would make more sense to me: Someone wanting to ditch risky undertakings when there's a new mouth to clothe and feed makes complete sense. But still having trouble with the "no time" thing.

Good point.

I have blokes and blokeess come up to look at the bike and say, "I used to Ride" My reply," I understand you started a Family" 99 times out of hundred that is what happened.

Riding takes a lot of time and money. To which new Families have better ways to spend their money ???????????

Sorry for the shameless plug but I just wrote on this topic. http://hoodsmoto.com/2018/09/18/riding-dirt-bikes-after-having-kids-part-1/ Kids will not keep you from riding if you have a game plan.

No time to ride is just that...an excuse. It most often just means they've just lost interest or have lost the edge and won't admit it. A lot of the folks that say they have "no time" still spend a few hours a day watching TV and playing video games.

I've also heard "I can't afford it anymore" yet they still buy cigarettes and eat out every day. Again, translation for "lost interest".

Having said that, it doesn't bother me at all if it's in an ad.

Oh brother...you know you're completely done with motorcycles when:
...I just find gearing up to be a hassle....

...wanting to ditch risky undertakings...
This is sadly one of the longest running myths --that motorcycling is inherently "risky".

I'm of the mindset that motorcycling is a very safe and economical form of transportation. Environmentally, we have a lower carbon footprint over cars, trucks and SUVs and bikes take up less space which is becoming more of an issue in densely populated urban centers.

Really digressing here...sorry.

Back to the original topic, I would say that "making time to ride" says that you would rather go out for a ride, even if only for 30 minutes on crappy roads, than sit on the couch watching television, doing tedious never-ending household chores, ... It's a personal choice how you spend a portion of your day.

Sent from my SGH-M919V using GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app

This is sadly one of the longest running myths --that motorcycling is inherently "risky".

I'm of the mindset that motorcycling is a very safe and economical form of transportation. Environmentally, we have a lower carbon footprint over cars, trucks and SUVs and bikes take up less space which is becoming more of an issue in densely populated urban centers.

I'll politely disagree that motorcycling is "very safe." Statistics (and insurance rates) prove this.

Back to the original topic, I would say that "making time to ride" says that you would rather go out for a ride, even if only for 30 minutes on crappy roads, than sit on the couch watching television, doing tedious never-ending household chores, ... It's a personal choice how you spend a portion of your day.

I agree. There are 168 hours in a week. Nobody, even harried parents of toddlers, is so busy that they can't set aside even one of those hours to go for a ride. There are many reasons one might give up riding but having "no time" seems unlikely to me. They gave it up because they hate traffic or crappy roads. Or because their wife put her foot down. Or insurance was too expensive. Or they simply lost interest and their free time goes to other endeavors.

i say part of it is the traffic these days. A summer day, hot / humid and traffic. No fun on a bike.

And stats. yes a minor "fender bender" btwn a car and bike usually results in injuries for rider. BUT looking at stats for car accidents in north America.
There are thousands of people killed and injured in car accidents each year. You never hear folks saying they are giving up driving a car because it is too
risky

And stats. yes a minor "fender bender" btwn a car and bike usually results in injuries for rider. BUT looking at stats for car accidents in north America. There are thousands of people killed and injured in car accidents each year. You never hear folks saying they are giving up driving a car because it is too risky

It's too simplistic to look at absolute numbers. According to the NHTSA, in 2013, "per vehicle mile traveled, motorcycle fatalities occurred 26 times more frequently than passenger car fatalities."

PGtfvxs.jpg

The numbers don't lie: Motorcycling is way more dangerous than, say, traveling by car. If someone just had a baby I would completely understand if they decided to put their family's interest ahead of their hobby.

I gear up for my daily 30-40 minute rush hour commute both ways every day. Really don't see what the hassle is all about.

Motorcycles Are relatively safe, it's riding them on the streets that we share with cars and trucks that make them dangerous. I drive an F350 dually diesel, if your little car meets up with my 3 tons of truck, you're toast, if I meet up with 14 tons of Mack truck I'm toast, if the Mack truck meets up with a freight train the Mack is toast. What motorcycles can potentially do best is 'not be there' but that requires great attention, some skill and a lot of luck.

Liability insurance costs: My 6 passenger F350 hauling a 34 foot travel trailer is close to half the cost to insure, compared to my solo 400 pound motorcycle, even if I'm hauling 3 motorcycles at the time. There is no logic just profit and loss, their profit is our loss.

... can't ride today and it's not because of the rain, I'm servicing the bikes I've been riding for the last 10 days :|

Having a child put into perspective how short life is and a large portion of it is already gone. I decided not to delay any more and got into riding after my first kid.

I gear up for my daily 30-40 minute rush hour commute both ways every day. Really don't see what the hassle is all about.

its not a hassle if people enjoy it, once they no longer enjoy, it becomes a hassle

I have no problem loading up a trailer and going racing or for a track day because I still find it enjoyable, cant say the same for street riding.
I sold my street bike at the start of the season, and didnt buy another until the end of August, and that one is up for sale because I don't have time to ride (read: choose not to make time)

OP, initially I wanted to agree with you; but I can't.
Everyone's circumstances are different, and people can lose interest and would rather spend their time doing something else.

Honestly, a few times this season have felt as though don't have enough time to ride. Then I take it out for one ride after a few weeks off and realize I can keep it even though I don't get out as much as I may like.

Oh brother...you know you're completely done with motorcycles when:

Really digressing here...sorry.

Sent from my SGH-M919V using GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app
Wish this was true but i have personally seen multiple people die and know even more from motorcycle accidents. No one I know has died in a car accident nor have i witnessed anyone dying in a car crash in the time I have been riding. Most car crashes people walk away from.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Wish this was true but i have personally seen multiple people die and know even more from motorcycle accidents. No one I know has died in a car accident nor have i witnessed anyone dying in a car crash in the time I have been riding. Most car crashes people walk away from.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Member on this forum that use to ride a lot died in a car crash a few years ago.

Always makes me remember that sometimes it doesn't matter if you are riding/driving when your time is up.

We are only here for a short time.

It's very easy for life to get too busy to ride. A 30 min ride every now and then (especially in the GTA) may not be worth it to the seller to keep paying the insurance and up keep costs year over year. They may see the thousands of dollars tied up in the bike just sitting there and have a better use for that money right now. Not everyone who gets into riding rides for life with no breaks.

When my kids were born I barely put 2000km a year on my bikes for a few years there. Even this year I've done a little over 6000k but when I look at my ride log (yes I'm a dork and keep track of my rides) I have gaps of 2-3 weeks where I don't get out at all. Family vacations, playing with my kids, work, weather hitting 40c+ all put up road blocks to riding and that's just life. I keep the bike as I've never been without a bike since I was 16 and can't imagine life without one but that isn't everyone and I certainly get it. At one point I was riding so little that I was seriously considering just getting a Grom basically to keep my insurance going so I didn't have any gaps in insurance to keep my rates low. Many insurance companies will give you a newbie rate if you've been without bike insurance for 5yrs or more regardless of how long you've had your license.

...it doesn't matter if you are riding/driving when your time is up. We are only here for a short time.
Exactly. Motorcycling is no more dangerous than driving, base jumping, skiing, flying, or whatever. Just walking down the street as a pedestrian you can be ploughed down.

Some people really need a crash course in statistics/probability. Pun may be intended.

Some people really need a crash course in statistics/probability. Pun may be intended.

I think people need to realize the over-reliance on statistics.

Statistics often miss out on major factors. Take, for example, the fact that many of the riders you see on the street are squids. If you mix squid + stupid judgment, you end up with a ton of crashes. So this is where some honestly and "digging deep" needs to come into play: are you squid? And how well do you actually know how to operate a motorcycle? Those who are not honest about these answers are far more likely to **** themselves with a lamp post than others.

Back
Top Bottom