"Don't have time to ride anymore": WTF? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

"Don't have time to ride anymore": WTF?

I'd be building a golf club carrier for the bike (assuming your golf round is about golf not a boozefest).

Back when I was diving more, I was thinking about making mounts to let me carry tanks and dive gear with the bike.
we have a gup who drives his Goldwing with his bag strapped to the back ☺

Perhaps a baby just arrived...totally changes a life style.
yes it does; in just 3 or 4 years you will be shopping for little tiny motorcycles so they can ride with you.

Last edited:
When my brother sold his Integra many moons ago, the ad read like this:
For sale: 1991 Acura Integra $3xxx
Must sell
Lost job
Getting divorced
Need money
GF pregnant
Leaving country
Going back to school
....and a bunch of other typical ad reasons..... I thought it was freaking hilarious.

And, not sure if I mentioned it before, but I like to think that I don't have time to ride, but in actuality, I'm just pretty freaking lazy.
Oh. And now I have cataracts amd my left eye's vision isn't great.

Sent from my purple G4 using Tapatalk

With two young kids, a 65 hour a week job and other interests I certainly don't have the time to ride that I want. I've probably only averaged 5-8000 km per year for the last few years.
However my bike will always be in the garage and insured for when I do have the time.
The only other thing that changed after having kids was the number of bikes in the garage. At one point I had 9 street bikes and 12 dirt bikes, all complete, all but two running and ready to ride, only 3 insured though lol.

Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk

With two young kids, a 65 hour a week job and other interests I certainly don't have the time to ride that I want. I've probably only averaged 5-8000 km per year for the last few years.
However my bike will always be in the garage and insured for when I do have the time.
The only other thing that changed after having kids was the number of bikes in the garage. At one point I had 9 street bikes and 12 dirt bikes, all complete, all but two running and ready to ride, only 3 insured though lol.

Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk
A nice problem to have, all those bikes

Sent from my ZTE B2017G using GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app

I know a couple of people who didn't have time to ride, because they were busy on weekends teaching others to ride.

I can tell ya, with having a 6 month old baby at home, between parenting duties, lack of sleep, and working 60 hours a week, most times the choice is between getting some food in my stomach or taking a nap if I have a 1/2 hour. My ride has sat in the garage all summer.

I used to get home at 7pm and go riding until 1 or 2am, but now I'd rather spend some time with the kid and do what needs to be done at home. I wouldn't change a thing...

Sent from my SM-N9500 using Tapatalk

I'm 56 and I don't ride as much as I used to. No particular reason, I just find gearing up to be a hassle, I drive a fast car, too many idiot drivers in the city, etc., so yah......I don't make riding a priority any more, so, in essence, I "don't have time to ride" and if I sold my bike, that's the exact reason I would use.

Although, as I told my gf, even if I only rode it 2 or 3 times a year, I'd keep it insured and ready to roll just for those times. And I have friends who do just that.

Just saw an ad for a bike where the CO says "Don't have time to ride anymore." Seeing this reminded me that this is not an uncommon "excuse" for selling a bike but I wonder, wtf does it even mean?

How much time does it take to ride a bike? Is one's schedule so full that you can't find 30 minutes to yourself and go for a spin once in a while?

Or is it just an excuse for some other reason, like "I've had it with ****** cage drivers" or "My wife is going to divorce me" or "I thought I'd like riding but just can't get into it" or "I hate this bike" ... ?

Just maybe some people have many more hobbies and activities and finding time to ride is a challenge. Especially for those that do not commute by motorcycle. I sold my bike this spring because I could not justify only riding 2,000km a year and paying $$$ for insurance. "I did not have time to ride" because, I like to ride decent roads, and that's not in the GTA, so riding for me would be ride of 300-400 kms day out of the GTA. Scheduling that in a weekend, when there's other things going on like family events, concerts, sports, house work, etc. It gets tough. I don't want to ride 30mins aronud my hood on battered roads with bad drivers for no reason. Sorry, I have better things to do.

Well said, Mr. Kiwi. On the knife's edge of deciding to cancel insurance + sell myself. Work is exhausting and the carrot of looping a few distant roads is outweighed by the stick of a highway drone through endless suburbia. No friends or family ride, so using the weekends for daytripping means we don't talk much. Oddly enough, urban commuting is the only thing that keeps me going--it's a bit of practical gymkhana. Trackdays, trials and duel-sporting are other directions I could take, but that requires even more resources. $5k buys you a lot of interesting things or experiences. It *might* snag you an unremarkable streetbike. Between the hostile climate, aggressive insurers and geographic location, Toronto often feels like short straw of motorcycling. A shame, because I do love riding.

A 30 min spin once and a while is HORRIBLE "return on investment" of purchase, insurance, maintenance, gear and gas. lol.

I appreciate these "no time to ride" types who buy a 1000cc+ starter bike, then sell it after the second season. It gives me a good selection next time I want to buy second hand. It also give younger, more serious riders a chance to upgrade to what they otherwise couldn't afford.

I appreciate these "no time to ride" types who buy a 1000cc+ starter bike, then sell it after the second season. It gives me a good selection next time I want to buy second hand. It also give younger, more serious riders a chance to upgrade to what they otherwise couldn't afford.
This. I found a good deal on a liter SS thanks to a "no time to ride" seller. Seller bought it brand new, put less than 4k km in 3 seasons.

I was dying to get an SS pretty much since I was 14 yrs old...20 years later I finally got one...but the fun is over for some reason... when I sell it will say lost interest

This. I found a good deal on a liter SS thanks to a "no time to ride" seller. Seller bought it brand new, put less than 4k km in 3 seasons.

:eek: !

Just maybe some people have many more hobbies and activities and finding time to ride is a challenge. Especially for those that do not commute by motorcycle. I sold my bike this spring because I could not justify only riding 2,000km a year and paying $$$ for insurance. "I did not have time to ride" because, I like to ride decent roads, and that's not in the GTA, so riding for me would be ride of 300-400 kms day out of the GTA. Scheduling that in a weekend, when there's other things going on like family events, concerts, sports, house work, etc. It gets tough. I don't want to ride 30mins aronud my hood on battered roads with bad drivers for no reason. Sorry, I have better things to do.

Also factor in half the year you can't really ride either.
In Florida it's flat as hell too like the GTA but they got year round riding weather and insurance isn't even required lmao, fuel is a lot cheaper too.

Not having time to ride simply means that it's no longer a priority. I sold my bike for the very same reason. It's not about having 30 minutes to go riding, it's about what I would rather do in those 30 minutes instead. Different stages in life require different priorities.
Well stated.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Also factor in half the year you can't really ride either.
In Florida it's flat as hell too like the GTA but they got year round riding weather and insurance isn't even required lmao, fuel is a lot cheaper too.

True but Florida drinking water is warm as p and it smells like an over chlorinated kiddy pool :p
The solution to having more time to ride is called retirement :D I feel a ride coming on right now.

I was dying to get an SS pretty much since I was 14 yrs old...20 years later I finally got one...but the fun is over for some reason... when I sell it will say lost interest

I've actually changed my philosophy on this. I used to encourage newbies to buy small at first. Now I tell them to go big or go home. Yup. Big and NEW is the only way to go. Don't risk second hand. Get a new, right off the showroom floor HD Breakout, or a nice Kawasaki NINJA. It's worth the investment, and you won't get laughed at for owning a woman's bike. This bike will make you a pro...

Back
Top Bottom