"Don't have time to ride anymore": WTF? | GTAMotorcycle.com

"Don't have time to ride anymore": WTF?

Blackfin

Site Supporter
Just saw an ad for a bike where the CO says "Don't have time to ride anymore." Seeing this reminded me that this is not an uncommon "excuse" for selling a bike but I wonder, wtf does it even mean?

How much time does it take to ride a bike? Is one's schedule so full that you can't find 30 minutes to yourself and go for a spin once in a while?

Or is it just an excuse for some other reason, like "I've had it with ****** cage drivers" or "My wife is going to divorce me" or "I thought I'd like riding but just can't get into it" or "I hate this bike" ... ?

Depends on where you are ....30 minutes doesn't really get you out of the GTA.
It also is a very short period for gearing up just for a half hour jaunt.

It's about 1/2 hour up to the Forks for coffee and chit chat if anyone is around - gets me outside but even then this year has been bad for riding as we are so busy it's hard to take the time away even tho I work remotely a lot of the time.

I doubt it's the actual reason for selling the bike but rather, insurance costs a lot for an idle bike.

In Aus the KLR sits for 6-9 months unridden but the insurance is so low and the bike owes me nothing ( and is worth about the same tho it's very reliable ) it really doesn't matter.

But in the GTA insurance is high for just a few rides a year .....can see the reason to sell....and some are fed up with traffic or drivers.

Perhaps a baby just arrived...totally changes a life style.

"Just had a baby" would make more sense to me: Someone wanting to ditch risky undertakings when there's a new mouth to clothe and feed makes complete sense. But still having trouble with the "no time" thing.

you'd be surprised how many folks leave home to work these days
can't ride if you and the bike are in different areas

I know how the guy feels,I rode to work daily now being retired and golfing everyday I don't ride much.I have only ridden the bike twice this season.now it's a question of when to sell,its a tough position to be in.

I know how the guy feels,I rode to work daily now being retired and golfing everyday I don't ride much.I have only ridden the bike twice this season.now it's a question of when to sell,its a tough position to be in.

I'd be building a golf club carrier for the bike (assuming your golf round is about golf not a boozefest).

Back when I was diving more, I was thinking about making mounts to let me carry tanks and dive gear with the bike.

I believe you are overthinking the ad, they want to sell you something, there doesn't need to be any other reason behind it.

Having said that I have a beautiful lake front property in Saskatchewan, with a great view of the mountains if you are interested. :D

Last edited:
Perhaps a baby just arrived...totally changes a life style.

Good point.

I have blokes and blokeess come up to look at the bike and say, "I used to Ride" My reply," I understand you started a Family" 99 times out of hundred that is what happened.

Riding takes a lot of time and money. To which new Families have better ways to spend their money ???????????

Maybe they have different hobbies that they are into. I ride mx almost every weekend and occasionally during the week. So with that riding, the travel to the track and the cleaning/maintenance that comes a long with it I ride my street bikes very little. Probably have 1500km on my Harley this year and 500-700km on my supermoto. Kind of makes it hard justifying having them but I still like the ability to just leave from my garage when I feel like it.

So, what "excuse" would make you happier? as someone else said your over thinking it. Guy wants to sell, what difference does it make to you why. If yo really are considering the bike go see it and thru the discussion the reason may be revealed.

If your not even looking and this is just a question your asking, then my question back is why are you wasting your time wondering why people are selling their bikes?? GO RIDE yours and forget about theirs..lol

Just saw an ad for a bike where the CO says "Don't have time to ride anymore." Seeing this reminded me that this is not an uncommon "excuse" for selling a bike but I wonder, wtf does it even mean?

How much time does it take to ride a bike? Is one's schedule so full that you can't find 30 minutes to yourself and go for a spin once in a while?

Or is it just an excuse for some other reason, like "I've had it with ****** cage drivers" or "My wife is going to divorce me" or "I thought I'd like riding but just can't get into it" or "I hate this bike" ... ?

Not having time to ride simply means that it's no longer a priority. I sold my bike for the very same reason. It's not about having 30 minutes to go riding, it's about what I would rather do in those 30 minutes instead. Different stages in life require different priorities.

.............l that you can't find 30 minutes to yourself and go for a spin once in a while.......

30 minutes? I wouldn't bother to get geared up for a 30 minute ride as I'd never even get out of Mississauga and even at the cottage a Northey's Bay Road loop is at least an hour.

Everyone's circumstances are different. With work, family, cottage, travel and weather it can sometimes be 4 - 6 weeks between rides and then I'll do 3,000km over 4 - 5 days. I can see that as you get pulled to other things that riding time diminishes to the point where you figure it might be time to just sell the bike and move on. I'm not there yet, but I can understand changing priorities.

?? Deleted

Last edited:
?? Deleted

Last edited:
Honestly life changes. First few seasons i had the bike, i'd get 10k in per season, easy.

Last year, tore my achilles, got maybe 3k in, 2nd kiddo was born, my riding time has been reduced to commutes...which are much better and cheaper than go train but still, other than Dover this year (my 1st time) i haven't done any leisurely riding whatsoever.

Between kid's activities, social gatherings, the sleepless nights with kiddo, showing your kiddo how to ride a bicycle, etc, free time is just not there anymore. Sure, some nights i could sacrifice some sleep to get more riding in, but then i'll pay for it at work the next day.

So in my situation, some people would look at selling. But i still have a utilitarian use to it and will ride until nov-dec a few times a week to commute so i'll still be using it. But then, a lot of people won't commute into downtown toronto because most drivers are mentally challenged and that's not part of their risk tolerance, which i get.

When you're young and single living in your parents basement you have all the time in the world for idle pursuits and time wasting...
'Changes when you get older.
Hell, I recall my late teens/early twenties.... The weekend started Thursday night and I could/would pick up and go anywhere/any time... No responsibilities.
Just filling my own time with fun...

I think I'm gonna cry...

Between work, gym, home chores, family, other hobbies including target shooting and trackdays I have very little time to ride the past few seasons.

My round trip commute to work is 9km a day, and living in the heart of scarborough it's challenging to find exciting roads to ride that aren't an hour + away.

I've been actually contemplating taking ins. off of it and converting it to track use only.

Back
Top Bottom