"Don't have time to ride anymore": WTF? | Page 4 | GTAMotorcycle.com

"Don't have time to ride anymore": WTF?

If you look at bike crash fatality stats, virtually all from the US, you can substantially reduce your risk by wearing a helmet, never drink and ride and watching your speed in corners. These factors account for about 50% of fatalities.

In accidents involving more than one vehicle (i.e. the bike + at least one more vehicle) the rider is responsible about 50% of the time, so the left turning idiot that takes you out is a valid factor, just not as much as you would think given people's focus on this.

The other factor is the ride your own ride pace or discipline you need to have. Generic stats aside, if I look back at the various ST events I have attended over the past 15+ years (probably 75 - 100 rides of 200 km - 3,000 km) there is a pattern in the profile of people who have crashed. All were relatively new ST owners (1 - 2 years) all were new to group ST riding or events, everyone crashed in a turn after running wide or low siding. Witnesses to the crashes spoke of apparent target fixation where the bike was straight up and just ran off the road or seem to slam the brakes on mid corner and low sided. In most cases the corner was really not too demanding. Thankfully, everyone survived with scrapes, sometimes a few broken bones and and a banged up bike. So for new riders the drive to keep up with the group, to not be the slow guy, caused them to ride outside of their comfort zone.

So, if you have an accident, then you're probably going to get hurt in some way, but the key is to do everything within our control to avoid one in the first place.

Hey I'm not going to knock it or even question it when someone says they don't have time to ride. I just bought a mint 2003 R6 with only 17k on it, and I stole it at $2400 from a guy who doesn't have time. Came with a full yoshi, stands, mini booster pack that fits in the trunk, helmet and jacket too.

Back
Top Bottom