Can you legally consent to fist fight? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Can you legally consent to fist fight?

油井緋色

Site Supporter
This is more of a theory question I've been wondering, for no reason other than being a **** disturber and limit breaker at heart.

Say your boss gets personal with you, and you respond by saying "If we are going to get personal, put the words away and settle this outside with our fists, or I can keep listening to you being a coward."

Your boss agrees, multiple colleagues were present to see the agreement, and you knock the fat fool out in one hit.

Besides getting obviously fired after, is this illegal? In addition, is issuing the challenge illegal? I am genuinely curious (no I do not hate my boss or want to knock him out, he's a great guy lol) and I know we have a slew of arm chair lawyers here.

Last edited:
It all depends...
If one party is seriously injured...
Your screwed.
Of course... If no one calls the police, no one says anything...
Did it really happen?

yes, 2 adults can consent to a fight
but there is a limit to the beating that's allowable
if it gets to be too one sided and someone takes a serious *** whipping
it crosses the border and becomes assault - criminal

When I was around 20 I witnessed a bar fight between one dude I was with and another
fight was consensual, the other dude who was blasted drunk ended up taking a header into a flight of stairs
was in a coma for few days and died, guy from our group was tried and convicted on manslaughter
true story, happened at the Sword and Shield, late 80's I'm gonna say

so the outcome is you can consent to a fight
but not an *** whipping or certainly not death

[FONT=&quot]http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/acts/c-46/section-265.html

Assault
[/FONT]

• 265 (1) A person commits an assault when
    • (a) without the consent of another person, he applies force intentionally to that other person, directly or indirectly;
    • (b) he attempts or threatens, by an act or a gesture, to apply force to another person, if he has, or causes that other person to believe on reasonable grounds that he has, present ability to effect his purpose; or
    • (c) while openly wearing or carrying a weapon or an imitation thereof, he accosts or impedes another person or begs.
  • Marginal note:Application
    (2) This section applies to all forms of assault, including sexual assault, sexual assault with a weapon, threats to a third party or causing bodily harm and aggravated sexual assault.
  • Marginal note:Consent
    (3) For the purposes of this section, no consent is obtained where the complainant submits or does not resist by reason of
    • (a) the application of force to the complainant or to a person other than the complainant;
    • (b) threats or fear of the application of force to the complainant or to a person other than the complainant;
    • (c) fraud; or
    • (d) the exercise of authority.
  • Marginal note:Accused’s belief as to consent
    (4) Where an accused alleges that he believed that the complainant consented to the conduct that is the subject-matter of the charge, a judge, if satisfied that there is sufficient evidence and that, if believed by the jury, the evidence would constitute a defence, shall instruct the jury, when reviewing all the evidence relating to the determination of the honesty of the accused’s belief, to consider the presence or absence of reasonable grounds for that belief.

^
yea see, that's legal speak. And reading legal speak is like you guys trying to read C++

e.g. i has the dumbs and don't understand l3g4l sp34k

@Hack
That's more a fight club thing if no one sees....lol

@JavaFan
I saw a similar scenario and outcome on reddit. Seems to make sense but it also makes it way too easy for the winner to get into **** accidentally.

Put on some gloves and head gear and a mouth guard and step into the ring with a referee. Otherwise, go to the bar and have a drink and try to settle your differences like adults - you are allowed to tell each other face to face that you don't like each other and it doesn't have to escalate. Dick swinging isn't cool - so she tells me.

Mind you, guys always seem to come out as better friends after a punch up.

油井緋色;2588982 said:
^
yea see, that's legal speak. And reading legal speak is like you guys trying to read C++

e.g. i has the dumbs and don't understand l3g4l sp34k

@Hack
That's more a fight club thing if no one sees....lol

@JavaFan
I saw a similar scenario and outcome on reddit. Seems to make sense but it also makes it way too easy for the winner to get into **** accidentally.

yup, consent is not a straight forward concept
the #MeToo movement has illustrated this

in a fight, where does consent end?
if one guy is down and out
don't think he's consented to having his face booted in
pretty sure that's gonna be viewed as assault

yup, consent is not a straight forward concept
the #MeToo movement has illustrated this

in a fight, where does consent end?
if one guy is down and out
don't think he's consented to having his face booted in
pretty sure that's gonna be viewed as assault

There is another scenario though...

Say person A knows person B actually has fighting experience and A still consents. B repeatedly says "I will not hold back, are you sure?" and person A ends up in a coma. Seems like person B would still get in ****?

油井緋色;2588989 said:

Say person A knows person B actually has fighting experience and A still consents. B repeatedly says "I will not hold back, are you sure?" and person A ends up in a coma. Seems like person B would still get in ****?

Reminds me of this video.

[video=youtube;FpLa_C-mG-c]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FpLa_C-mG-c[/video]

油井緋色;2588989 said:

In Canada police lay charges on behalf of the crown, regardless of your or his personal opinions/beliefs.

i.e. you may consent all day long but they could still charge you and let you explain it all to the judge (see Accuseds belief to consent).

[video=youtube;i98QrSSHxo4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i98QrSSHxo4[/video]

yes, 2 adults can consent to a fight
but there is a limit to the beating that's allowable
if it gets to be too one sided and someone takes a serious *** whipping
it crosses the border and becomes assault - criminal

When I was around 20 I witnessed a bar fight between one dude I was with and another
fight was consensual, the other dude who was blasted drunk ended up taking a header into a flight of stairs
was in a coma for few days and died, guy from our group was tried and convicted on manslaughter
true story, happened at the Sword and Shield, late 80's I'm gonna say

so the outcome is you can consent to a fight
but not an *** whipping or certainly not death

yup, when it is no longer defence, but an *** whipping-you can be charged.
I know of a similar incident to yours; two guys got in a mutual fight outside the arena after a hockey game in sturgeon falls ontario. one received a kick to the head and died. 19 year old kid was charged and convicted of manslaughter..

Put on some gloves and head gear and a mouth guard and step into the ring with a referee. Otherwise, go to the bar and have a drink and try to settle your differences like adults - you are allowed to tell each other face to face that you don't like each other and it doesn't have to escalate. Dick swinging isn't cool - so she tells me.

Mind you, guys always seem to come out as better friends after a punch up.

lol. at 19 I was living in a mining camp and had two pair of boxing gloves I brought with me. We would fight in the washroom between the trailers. thought I was tuff until this finnish guy left me with bumps all over my forehead and a chipped molar. lol no harm, no foul. We remained friends.

I started Brazilian jiu-jitsu 2 years ago and I pay to get my ass beat at least twice a week. No fists but beat none the less. It's just now I'm starting to beat the new guys. All legal

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

yup, when it is no longer defence, but an *** whipping-you can be charged.
I know of a similar incident to yours; two guys got in a mutual fight outside the arena after a hockey game in sturgeon falls ontario. one received a kick to the head and died. 19 year old kid was charged and convicted of manslaughter..

Add a ex-co worker of mine to the list. Bar punch up and the other guy goes down never to get up. Couple of years at Maplehurst for manslaughter.

In some situations punching a person who hadn't consented is tolerated. Hockey.

Well, this has been very educational.

So I guess it will not be okay to punch bullies like back in elementary or high school lol

Real life example... Idiot challenged me to fight, it lasted for one punch and his nose was fractured. That was assault causing bodily harm for me.

Back
Top Bottom