Any fishermen \ women out here? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Any fishermen \ women out here?

mimico_polak

Site Supporter
Hey all, so been going to this FIFO site and finishing my 2nd rotation this week, and it turns out that we are on a very good and plentiful river that has a lot of salmon coming through. I see a lot of opportunities to fish during the off time and am searching for a rod that packs fairly light that I can bring here to site with me and leave during my time off. Any recommendation for a small / collapsible rod that can be brought for salmon fishing? think 8-10lbs and up as a baseline....also any suggestion on lures? I need to fly it from Toronto to Kitimat in BC and would prefer to take it as carry on instead of checking it. Apparently people pay thousands of dollars to fish in these waters...go figure! BTW....beautiful out here. If it wasn't for family back in Ontario I'd be moving the entire family here in a heartbeat.

what kind of salmon? regular fishing gear? zzzzzzz pop is a familiar sound of light lines breaking... the recent rain should have salmon moving upstream. on the small end of the spectrum, the pink salmon are ~3-4 lbs or smaller on average and light gear works.

talking to the guys at the local bait shop is a good way to gain information.

Awesome, thanks Iceman! That's exactly what I'm looking for.

The guys from site have showed me pics yesterday of reeling in 15-18lbs salmon from shore. So looking for the 6-7' rod and the smaller pack the better for me. I'm hoping NOT to need a rod holder/case for the plane, but if needed then I'll get that and just check luggage it. I've got about a week until my next rotation.

@bikepike....Kemano River.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hPOIopwg0I
the river giving up a salmon. catch and release.

looks like a chinook (king) salmon in this video- these are the big guys. There are varying salmon species running up the kemano.
my father managed a hatchery on vancouver island for the federal government. Chinooks can reach well over 30lbs.

you want proper heavy salmon gear

what a great benefit of the job being there for the run. Enjoy !

Last edited:
I'm sure you'll pack gear better than the a$$hat in front of me trailering the boat last weekend that didn't secure his fishing packs. Coincidentally if anyone wants a good deal on a new looking Ardent Apex Elite reel pm me :)

You better buy a really good rod,those fish will probably snap a collapsible rod in seconds imo.

this^
you need a reel thar works with 15-30lbs test. and a rod to match the line weight/reel. will not be cheap.

EDIT have you thought about calling a lodge local to the area and asking them if they would rent you a rod n reel for a day or two? might be the easiest and cheapest sol'n.

Last edited:
this^
you need a reel thar works with 15-30lbs test. and a rod to match the line weight/reel. will not be cheap.

EDIT have you thought about calling a lodge local to the area and asking them if they would rent you a rod n reel for a day or two? might be the easiest and cheapest sol'n.

I don't know if you fish or not- but if you don't know how to make an "improved cinch knot" before you go...wouldn't hurt to learn so you keep your lures.

Update....caught my first 10lb fish! Bought a cheaper $50 4-piece rod (Thanks @Iceman) to see how much I like the sport. Enjoying it so far!

Attachments

• First Chinook_xsmall.jpg
    First Chinook_xsmall.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 25
I have a fisherwoman, I wake up in the morning and say to my wife, Wife go catch me some fish! and she goes and catches me some fish :D
... now if I could only teach her to clean them :|

Update....caught my first 10lb fish! Bought a cheaper $50 4-piece rod (Thanks @Iceman) to see how much I like the sport. Enjoying it so far!
Awesome! Nice catch

Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom