Periodic Riding During Winter | GTAMotorcycle.com

Periodic Riding During Winter

YuppieLife

For the upcoming winter, I was thinking of taking the bike out for a 30-min ride every 3-4 weeks to recharge the battery and keep everything in running shape. Living in downtown Toronto, I find that the main roads are clear of snow/ice at least once a month (albeit with some dry salt).

Has anybody tried this instead of a full winterization/storage? I figure it'll save money/time on winter maintenance and is better for the bike in the long run.

I rode in every month last year a few times every month as you're suggesting. I'm of the camp that salt doesn't make bikes disintegrate but I do spray my bikes down with ACF-50. I just did it for fun though, nothing to do with the winterizing/storage process.

Wouldn't say there is any "benefit" to the bike itself, though.

Better for the bike in the long run to be stored properly and left alone. If you do want to ride, keep in mind the salt dust will contribute to rusting if not cleaned off. 30 min ride isn't really long enough. When I lived downtown I rode about 10 months of the year. It can be done, just dress properly.

Better for the bike in the long run to be stored properly and left alone.............

As per quote. Once you've winterized your bike properly there's absolutely no reason to start it until Spring.

As per quote. Once you've winterized your bike properly there's absolutely no reason to start it until Spring.

Umm sure there is, because you want to ride it when it warms up!

Or better yet, don't waste time on "winterizing." Just disconnect the battery and you are done. Those few months without running, will not do anything to the motor or any other components. If it's an older bike with carbs, you may want to add some stabilizer so the jets don't get plugged up.

If you were ever planning a real long term storage, then yes, certain steps needs to be taken.

salt dust will contribute to rusting

Um most motorcycles have little or no steel in them. The only risk with salt is trying to wash it off with a pressure sprayer and driving it into electrical connections.

Keep a battery tender on it onless you have lithium and ride it every warmish day. Do not however just start it for a few minutes. The motor needs to come up to full operating temperature.

We may have a warm winter as El Nino is spinning off which means above normal temps and precip. We had a riding just about all year the last time.

Or better yet, don't waste time on "winterizing." Just disconnect the battery and you are done. Those few months without running, will not do anything to the motor or any other components. If it's an older bike with carbs, you may want to add some stabilizer so the jets don't get plugged up.

If you were ever planning a real long term storage, then yes, certain steps needs to be taken.

+1

I have never winterized any bike I have owned and never had issue. I just plug in a smart tender to keep the battery charged. When nice weather hits in the winter months or when spring time arrives I just unplug, top up the tires and get out riding.

As I get older and my time becomes more and more divided, my winter maintenance and storage becomes a lot less cumbersome. I take out the batteries, bring them inside and put them on a tender. I run stabilizer through a full tank of gas, put the bikes up on stands, lube the chains and throw covers over them and don't do anything else until spring.

As I get older and my time becomes more and more divided, my winter maintenance and storage becomes a lot less cumbersome. I take out the batteries, bring them inside and put them on a tender. I run stabilizer through a full tank of gas, put the bikes up on stands, lube the chains and throw covers over them and don't do anything else until spring.
Wait.... There's more to winterizing than that?

Your tires may not be suitable for cold temps. You may get a surprise from the lower traction, especially on street car tracks and the ubiquitous painted lines downtown TO.

Last winter I didn't even disconnect the battery. Bike still fired right up in april. :)

I think the extravagant winterization procedure many riders go through is not necessary on a modern fuel injected bike when you're only storing it for 4 months.

Only things I did was fill up the gas tank completely with fresh 91, put the bike up on stands and stuck a rag in the exhaust.

Traction is usually fine too, up to a point. Just pretend it's raining and avoid sudden acceleration or braking. Once the snow starts collecting and the temps drop below 0C, watch out. That's when I call it a season. I need my bones intact for next spring.

I don't disconnect the batt. I don't have any phantom draw though. I just charge once a month.

Rust on exhaust pipes, some bolts, etc. have happened. Just a hose off is enough.

I ride when the weather is nice. Some years have had 20,000 km between jan and april in Ontario. Ride because you want to ride, not to try to save the bike somehow. 30 minute rides in the winter will do much more harm than good to the bike (probably not long enough to get the oil fully up to temp when really cold, the bike gets sprayed with sand and salt crap).

2 issues I see with OP's plan
some bikes are not easy to start when cold
don't think they are really built for that

and a 30 minute ride may not be long enough
coolant will be up to temp, engine oil maybe not completey
and certainly not long enough to burn off any condensation
when you shut the engine off and it takes a breath of that cold, damp air
moisture will condensate inside....then the next 30 minute run will not be enough
to get rid of it...same problem with cars and people with short commutes
take the oil cap off and you can see that light brown sludge inside the valve cover

My philosophy is that a vehicle sitting, is a vehicle rotting. That goes for any vehicle, including your body. It's best to keep things moving. Just put it up on stands and start it up every three weeks or so. The rear wheel free spins in neutral to take any tight spots out of the chain. Spin the front wheel and apply the front brakes a few times to exercise the hydraulics. Also, put half a can of Seafoam in the gas to help it not settle. Gas does go bad and will clog fuel injectors. Spray it down with WD40 if you want to show it some love. Always keep a trickle charger on it. So this way you get a chance to move everything without getting salt or brine on it.

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk

My philosophy is that a vehicle sitting, is a vehicle rotting. That goes for any vehicle, including your body. It's best to keep things moving. Just put it up on stands and start it up every three weeks or so. The rear wheel free spins in neutral to take any tight spots out of the chain. Spin the front wheel and apply the front brakes a few times to exercise the hydraulics. Also, put half a can of Seafoam in the gas to help it not settle. Gas does go bad and will clog fuel injectors. Spray it down with WD40 if you want to show it some love. Always keep a trickle charger on it. So this way you get a chance to move everything without getting salt or brine on it.

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk
Remind me never to buy a bike from you.

Back
Top Bottom