Garage door spring repair | GTAMotorcycle.com

Garage door spring repair

Joe Bass

*probably eating right now*
Site Supporter
Ok GTAM, who do I call? Spring snapped on the garage door. How tf does that even happen??

Sent from my purple G4 using Tapatalk

I've had it happen twice. Both time used moga garage door. He comes quite quickly.

If you diy....be VERY careful.Those springs have been known to shoot your eye out.

If you diy....be VERY careful.Those springs have been known to shoot your eye out.
Yup. Well aware. That's why I will go nowhere near it! But thanks for the head's up
Calling Moga now.
Thanks for the info GG

I tighten them myself with a couple 3/8" stainless bars about 2' long with no problems.

The only way into my garage is through the overhead door. I'm not really interested in taking the whole top bar and spring mechanism apart and then realizing I am missing some tiny part and have to spend the rest of my days living in the garage. It is a wooden door and ridiculously heavy without the spring to help.

My brother was trying to stretch one of the stretchy coil springs into place at my mother's place and the spring broke. Pinched the crap out of his fingers. Glad I wasn't there. I abhor swearing unless it's me.

Moga was here within an hour of my call. He's not too far from me, so that worked out well. Was here for maybe 40 mins and door is good to go.
Thanks all!

Bizarre coincidence..My garage door opened only a few inches in the morning. I am assuming it's the spring that needs to be changed.

Could you please share how much you were charged? Thanks!

Bizarre coincidence..My garage door opened only a few inches in the morning. I am assuming it's the spring that needs to be changed.

Could you please share how much you were charged? Thanks!
I can and will.
I'm not sure if this is a good deal or not but I paid $250.
Double garage door (one big door).
Work done and paid for in less than 2 hours from when I called him.

And no damage to the bike.

I can and will.
I'm not sure if this is a good deal or not but I paid $250.
Work done and paid for in less than 2 hours from when I called him.

And no damage to the bike.

Thanks a lot for sharing this. It's good to have an idea about how much it's going to cost before I call them.

Much appreciated!

Np.
I usually wheel and deal any price, but (a)someone else used him and was happy with his work & (b) he had me by the short and curlys as that door is heavy AF!

At $25O you got a great deal. Many of these guys are like tow truck voltures and feel you have no other option. Night of my last bike trip, the spring in mine broke and I made the error of pulling the emergency release so was unable to use the motor to assist opening the door.

Once he got it open. He gave me 3 options :

$1800 for a new door
$ 900 for a rebuild
$. 450 for the spring repair

Due to my need to get it resolved I ended up paying $ 600 for the rebuild, which included the bearings, rollers and cables.

Regardless not a good experience . So for $250 you did well.

Fair price. I paid the same thing earlier this year. Found a guy on kijiji and he showed up within the hour. I also considered the DIY option but those things can go sideways and you have to know how to measure the spring to get the right replacement.

Thanks for the feedback guys.

I paid $250.

On a double door there are usually two springs. Did he replace both for the $250? If so, that's a very good price.

I've replaced springs a few times at our last house and from what I remember they are around $80 each. The last time I just called a local garage door company for the repair because I couldn't be bothered doing it again. That was a few years ago and I was charged about the same price.

@Malks there are 2 springs. Only 1 snapped but he said since it's 20 years old and we're already taking it apart, he replaced both.
I figured springs had to be around that price so in the end I paid a good price.

I had a spring break not that long ago but only had 1 spring replaced cause the other was ok. I guess the problem with that now is one had zero cycles but the other has ? 5000 cycles. I'm regretting the decision already cause even though the other is not broken I had to turn up the safety meter so the motor would pull up or let down the door.

I had a spring break not that long ago but only had 1 spring replaced cause the other was ok. I guess the problem with that now is one had zero cycles but the other has ? 5000 cycles. I'm regretting the decision already cause even though the other is not broken I had to turn up the safety meter so the motor would pull up or let down the door.

If you had to increase down force as well as up force, that's a binding problem, not strictly a tired spring problem (although it could be caused by one spring carrying a disproportionate load.

How heavy does the door feel when you move it manually?

@Malks there are 2 springs. Only 1 snapped but he said since it's 20 years old and we're already taking it apart, he replaced both.
I figured springs had to be around that price so in the end I paid a good price.

You did well with that price.

Back
Top Bottom