Legalities regarding Full Exhaust | GTAMotorcycle.com

Legalities regarding Full Exhaust

Mr.Verceti

I am in the market for a full akrapovich exhaust for my bike. I was wondering if it is legal. I will be using it with the baffle in at all times unless im on track.

It's street legal yes.

Baffle? Do mean a dB dawg?

Might want to tell your insurance company too, so it'd be covered as a mod on a future claim if needed

Most aftermarket exhausts will pass noise testing where it has been implemented as a bylaw (caledon and other places). If people buy GP style exhausts or remove the baffles, they should expect to fail.

I thought most aftermarket exhausts were stamped with "off road use only" (or similar) to avoid compliance testing? In any case, if you don't stand out from the crowd, you shouldn't expect to get hassled for an aftermarket exhaust.

On any late model motorcycle, a full aftermarket exhaust system is illegal for road use on the grounds of tampering with emission control systems. (Removal / deletion of catalytic converter)

For motorcycles, that law is seldom enforced. That doesn't make it legal ...

Thanks for the input, it has a long end can so i assume itl be alot quieter than a shorty. And by baflle i mean db killer yes.

On any late model motorcycle, a full aftermarket exhaust system is illegal for road use on the grounds of tampering with emission control systems. (Removal / deletion of catalytic converter)

For motorcycles, that law is seldom enforced. That doesn't make it legal ...
What law is it? Text? I'm just wondering how it's worded. For example, what about older gen bikes that have some basic emissions controls on them but no catalytic converter? (produced that way for a number of years, a while back)

Not sure how people think it's street legal, you can slide a baton right through it. IIRC there needs to be a baffle in it to avoid a ticket.

Depending on the model, Akrapovic makes different sized restrictors for the muffler. For my application they have two. They do not add a baffle, so an officer can still give you grief.

A DB Dawg does have a stop in it so you should be good to go with that.

What law is it? Text? I'm just wondering how it's worded. For example, what about older gen bikes that have some basic emissions controls on them but no catalytic converter? (produced that way for a number of years, a while back)

https://www.ontario.ca/laws/statute/90e19#BK58

The air-suction device on the cylinder head of a good many motorcycles built in the 1980s and 1990s before catalytic converters (and still to this day, with catalytic converters), is "a system or device to prevent or lessen the discharge of any contaminant" - the intent is that if the engine is operating slightly rich, the extra air helps the unburned stuff continue burning, i.e. CO becomes CO2, HC becomes CO2 and H2O.

Thx! It's definitely broadly applicable language.

Where a manufacturer installs on, attaches to or incorporates in any motor or motor vehicle a system or device to prevent or lessen the discharge of any contaminant, the owner of such motor or motor vehicle shall not operate or cause or permit the operation of such motor or motor vehicle nor shall any person knowingly operate or cause or permit its operation unless such motor or motor vehicle has installed on, attached to or incorporated in it such system or device, and such system or device operates in accordance with the regulations when the motor or motor vehicle is in operation.

Last edited:
Cat converter included or not the manufacturer has still very clearly indicated the stock exhaust system as being an integral part of the pollution control equipment required for street legal use on all of my motorcycles bought in the last several decades. ymmv.

Back
Top Bottom