Offering advice to new riders | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Offering advice to new riders

They make armored leggings for riders now...this shows you where the scene is going
k

This explains a lot, I saw two girls yesterday on the sidewalk and I couldn't figure out how they jammed those fat butts into leggings, it looked like two small dogs fighting in a garbage bag when she walked. Armoured leggings....

I offer advice about wearing protective riding gear to police motorcycle riders. They especially don't like it when I say they're dressed like a squid. I think I'm well within my bounds as a tax payer to do so. I'm full armored leather, full time for almost a million kms I've put on in over 30 years. Anyone not bright enough to wear proper riding gear doesn't need to get their genes into the next human generation, which is fine by me.

It all depends how the conversation is started. Was that the first thing you said to him? Or were you talking for a bit first? I don't see an issue with bringing the topic up, it's good advice. I was riding in a t-shirt, kevlar jeans, boots, and gloves to Tim's one night when it was 40 degrees. An older fellow came up to me and we started talking. All he did was show me his mangled arm which looked like he was in a fire and that was nuff said...we didn't even need to discuss the topic LOL.
I think I feel most aked when I'm not wearing my boots on a bike. It just doesn't feel right with sneakers. Think about how easy it is a roll an ankle....I think next to hands it would be the first thing to brake during a fall.

We started chatting about his new bike, a CBR 300, and it went from there.
‘Speaking of feet, I read somewhere that something like 60% of non fatal mc accidents are to the feet.

If they said yes then there is no issue but at 18 no one listens. A 16 year old in awe of a new machine and with a fresh licence might ....18-20 boy ??? ...invulnerable. :rolleyes:

Reminds me of Mark Twain ....

The girl might take it to heart tho .....

I know up at the Forks I learn stuff all the time chatting with the hardcore distance riders and even listening in.
I think you'll find more of the community in the ADV crowd ...StromTroopers
https://www.stromtrooper.com/index.php?pageid=active_topics
is a very civil community but then the majority of riders are mature ( aka known as tolerates ugly bikes for comfort and durability )

No one including me likes ATGATT police on forums so you may be running into that. I wear what's appropriate and I determine that.

Your advice might have helped them but more important, made you feel better for doing it.
My 2 cents.

Thank you, that was a thoughtful and helpful comment.

I don't generally preach. Nobody wants to listen to some old goat telling them how his friend shredded his foot down to its tendons wearing Converse All-Stars. "Call 'im ol' peg leg now...he he..."

I don't generally preach. Nobody wants to listen to some old goat telling them

I'm of the same mind. Aside from non ATGATT here in Ontario a road trip to the US where you'll see helmetless riders in just jean shorts, wife beater t shirt and flip flops just boggles the mind. However, it's their skin so what can you do.

On the other hand I sat in a coffee shop listening to 3 Ontario SS riders about 20 - 25 at another table with full ATGATT discussing how their gear would help them survive a 100 kph head on crash with a car. I thought they were joking, but it seemed to be a serious discussion. No advice or comment offered.

Last edited:
Wellllll ...some do :rolleyes:

Yammie Noob was hospitalized with numerous injuries. According to his Instagram post, "Here's my injuries: broken humerus, ulna, radius in 5 different places (check those staples) nerve damage to my right hand, rendering it useless right now. Ripped the ligament in my left hand, so it's really hard to do normal things day to day. Fractured 3 more vertebrae at the spinous [sic] process, sprained both ankles, and fractured the right side of my hip. Long road to recovery ahead." Though the Porsche driver fared better, he "has been in and out of the hospital with spinal injuries and multiple herniated disks," according to the description of a GoFundMe set up by the Planet-9.com forum to help the driver. His Cayman was also totaled in the crash.

http://www.thedrive.com/watch-this/10716/when-a-spirited-ride-on-a-motorcycle-goes-very-bad

I offer advice about wearing protective riding gear to police motorcycle riders. They especially don't like it when I say they're dressed like a squid. I think I'm well within my bounds as a tax payer to do so. I'm full armored leather, full time for almost a million kms I've put on in over 30 years. Anyone not bright enough to wear proper riding gear doesn't need to get their genes into the next human generation, which is fine by me.

Nice. I've been tempted myself to say something to Ponch and Jon lookalikes, but then again I don't feel like being pulled over for a CPIC inquiry...

I have to wonder if most people wore good protection gear if our insurance rates would be better. Also there should be a discount for such gear in rates just like snow tires on autos.
So educating could just save another claim, that we all pay for in the end.

The other day I was sitting outside Starbucks on Brant St in Burlington when a young guy rode up on his new cbr300r with his girlfriend on the back. I struck up a conversation. He said he got his motorcycle licence 2 weeks ago. I noticed they were both wearing running shoes, he had jeans on, and the girlfriend was wearing those ubiquitous black leggings. I’m not sure if either of them were wearing gloves. This prompted me to launch into my lecture about the importance of wearing proper safety gear. I didn’t even address the fact that riding with a passenger with so little experience was completely irresponsible. I have tens of thousands of kilometres of riding experience and I am extremely reluctant to ride with a passenger. I don’t think they really listened to me.

Anyway, I am interested in knowing if other riders offer advice to new riders like this? Am I out of line? Should I not bother? I feel I have a responsibility to educate new riders.

Was it a black cbr250r? Was the girl a tiny blonde? I think it was me lol. Timeline fits, and I live downtown Burlington.

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app

I am really quite surprised by all the nasty comments to my post. There are a lot of angry, hateful people out there. Yes, I did ask for comments, so I appreciate everyone’s input, but still...

I was not expecting the nastiness of some of the comments. I thought motorcycling was kind of a community, where people support and help one another, like on discussion forums like this, as well as on the street. Several comments were to the effect that everyone knows the risks involved with riding a motorcycle, but I don’t believe that is true. Young people, especially, do not have the experience or the knowledge to properly evaluate risk. My sole intent in offering advice to this young couple was to try and help keep them safe. I thought I was doing a good thing. I do not know if the guy had taken a motorcycle course; most certainly his girlfriend had not. I wish that some old guy had taken the time to talk to me about safety when I was 18.

Would just like to say you’re advice was not taken negatively. I have been riding dirt bikes for years on the trails, had taken the MTO safety course and she had experience being on bikes. I have full gear but I didn’t always wear it. Especially if I’m just going down brant lol. I now ride a yzf r1 and I am always geared up on her. I don’t think you were out of line because you obviously couldn’t have known all that.
PS that girl grew up in foster care and is an absolute adrenaline junkie like myself, she knew the risks, I had my limits to what I would let her wear on the back as well.
I rode that bike all year round right through this winter, just sold it this morning actually. Is it you who rides the triumph? I can’t remember.

Cheers.

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app

Yeah he was.

Advice should be given when asked for.
These riders are not his responsibility. I'm pretty sure everyone who rides knows what gear is, the issue of them choosing not to wear when they ride is their own.
As a new rider I love getting advice. I wont always ask for it, but someone who has more experience than me might just give advice that saves my life. There is a Tom of good and bad advice out there, it's my job to decide which is which.

That said, it matters how you go about it. A friendly conversation with advice is a good thing, berating someone you dont know about wearing running shoes is over the line.

We all mean well. How it is taken is, are we busy bodies or do we care? We care.

I'm a chicken. I never ride without gear. Also, I'll never buy a modular helmet or even consider an open-face helmet. My minimal gear setup is a textile jacket and pants with full armor. Usually all leather for me.

Yes, I wear the full-face helmet even on a coffee run.

I've seen some horrible accidents that happen because of drivers. I think $2k~3k is pretty cheap for arms and legs.

Back
Top Bottom