Offering advice to new riders | GTAMotorcycle.com

Offering advice to new riders

easterncoyote

The other day I was sitting outside Starbucks on Brant St in Burlington when a young guy rode up on his new cbr300r with his girlfriend on the back. I struck up a conversation. He said he got his motorcycle licence 2 weeks ago. I noticed they were both wearing running shoes, he had jeans on, and the girlfriend was wearing those ubiquitous black leggings. I’m not sure if either of them were wearing gloves. This prompted me to launch into my lecture about the importance of wearing proper safety gear. I didn’t even address the fact that riding with a passenger with so little experience was completely irresponsible. I have tens of thousands of kilometres of riding experience and I am extremely reluctant to ride with a passenger. I don’t think they really listened to me.

Anyway, I am interested in knowing if other riders offer advice to new riders like this? Am I out of line? Should I not bother? I feel I have a responsibility to educate new riders.

Some people learn from the mistakes of others whereas some have to experience the pain and suffering to get the message.

If he took a safety course he was told all the horror stories, about road rash and how quickly denim burns through etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bLHZmVHSP7A

Doesn't hurt to try I guess.

Yeah he was.

Advice should be given when asked for.
These riders are not his responsibility. I'm pretty sure everyone who rides knows what gear is, the issue of them choosing not to wear when they ride is their own.

It wasn't a walk over and lecture ...it was part of a conversation about bikes.

My take tho would be ask the new rider if they'd mind a tip?

Launching into an atgatt lecture not likely a good move with a guy and his girl.

As my girlfriends Trinidadian mother would say... "Those who dun listen muss feel". One day (hopefully at 1km on a driveway) they will learn the hard way.

I never ride without kevlar jeans, boots and gloves. I might never crash, but if I do, I'll be in good shape, I hope.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

As long as you're not charging. They don't have to listen.

I talked my more experience buddy into a modular helmet, about a week before he landed on his chin and shoulder.

Since I left town he's moved back to his old open-faced ways.

nothing worse than unsolicited advice.

you wear full race attire for a coffee run? cool story bro, would have been even cooler if someone asked you to tell it

It all depends how the conversation is started. Was that the first thing you said to him? Or were you talking for a bit first? I don't see an issue with bringing the topic up, it's good advice. I was riding in a t-shirt, kevlar jeans, boots, and gloves to Tim's one night when it was 40 degrees. An older fellow came up to me and we started talking. All he did was show me his mangled arm which looked like he was in a fire and that was nuff said...we didn't even need to discuss the topic LOL.
I think I feel most aked when I'm not wearing my boots on a bike. It just doesn't feel right with sneakers. Think about how easy it is a roll an ankle....I think next to hands it would be the first thing to brake during a fall.

Anyway, I am interested in knowing if other riders offer advice to new riders like this? Am I out of line? Should I not bother? I feel I have a responsibility to educate new riders.

1. If it was safety related, like if you noticed they had a flat, or something was off on the bike, then yeah say something. Telling someone to wear more or different gear though is not really what i'd consider "advice". I'm sure they're aware protection exists and they chose not to use it, it's not for random strangers to offer their 2 cents on their choice. Would you go up to a cruiser rider and tell them to wear a full face when they're wearing one of those brain buckets? You're probably not "out of line", but it probably isn't any of your business either.

2. You should only bother if there's something critically wrong or that represents an immediate hazard (ie. like a brake light not working or a flat tire).

3. Nah, you don't have any sort of "responsibility" to educate anyone. You're not a riding instructor (I assume) or other motorcyclists' guardian.

Generally speaking, no, I don't offer any sort of advice unless people ask for it. If i do offer it, it's because I saw something that I thought was imminently dangerous. Otherwise, I just ride my bike and mind my own business.

If I have a low tire, loose chain, turn signal not working or light out.... Please tell me.
If I have made a conscious decision to do....literally whatever, your words are not welcome.
"prompted me to launch into.... Blah blah blah, I have so many hours and km's of experience blah blah blah"..... F*ck off. We don't care.

That is nice of you. However they are all adults and i am pretty sure they must have read or told about the important of full gears already. Your advice is pretty much useless since they choose to ignore it in the first place.

Without a photo of the "girlfriend" in the "ubiquitous black leggings", I can't properly advise, but I think I'm jealous of the young lad. I regret that I didn't do more of that myself back in my day.

Don't have to live with regrets, you can still buy yourself a pair of black leggings today

Don't have to live with regrets, you can still buy yourself a pair of black leggings today

Good one!

I generally keep my mouth shut unless I'm asked.
However, I do believe that many female passengers I've seen should be given the option of knowing the risks they (she) takes by being woefully unprepared in case they (she) hits the ground.

Last edited:
Although I do agree to not preach some advice if given the right way to a new rider can't hurt.

The issue I have is he chose not to wear gear but is probably well versed from taking his course the perils of crashing without gear on. BUT! Does his passenger have the same knowledge to make an educated choice for herself. She may not be totally aware of the risk involved as he probably did not give her the same information that was presented to him. She may have needed to hear the information presented!

The fact that you called it a "lecture" makes it sound unwarranted.

The last thing I'd want is an old guy at Starbucks giving me fashion advice...

Back
Top Bottom