Lending my car to a friend to visit the US | GTAMotorcycle.com

Lending my car to a friend to visit the US

daught

What are the requirements for a friend of mine to cross the border in to the US for a day with my car? He is just visiting Canada, he is not a US or Canadian citizen.

Sent from my DROID Turbo using Tapatalk

Him-passport and valid drivers license (prob international)

Vehicle needs proof of valid insurance.

The ownership would be handy too, but I do not believe this is mandatory as it should stay with owner technically.

He's good to travel to Canada and US. No concerns.

While it is not required I will write a pernission letter and sign it. The signature will match the ownership signature.

Good call regarding the IDP, I checked and it is not required in NY.

Code:
Foreign Nationals Driving in the United States

People who drive in the U.S. must have a valid driver's license. Some states require an International Driving Permit (IDP) from foreign nationals, in addition to a valid license from your own country. Contact the motor vehicle department of each state you will drive in for its requirements.

Code:
Out-of-state and foreign driver licenses

You can drive in New York State with a valid driver license from another state or country. You don’t need to apply for a New York State driver license unless you become a New York State resident. 

If you have a driver license from another country you do not need to have an International Driving Permit, but it is helpful. The permit verifies in several languages that you have a valid driver license. Police officers who can’t read the language on your foreign driver license will be able to read the permit. Contact the authorities in your home country to get an International Driving Permit.

Sent from my DROID Turbo using Tapatalk

Make sure your insurance will cover third parties across the border. Although in Ontario you can safely loan your vehicle to anyone and they have coverage, I could be wrong, but I want to say that I saw something that did not extend that same coverage across the border..that it may be named policy holder only.

The LAST thing you want to have happen is have him get into an accident in the USA and find out your coverage doesn't cover it, especially with how litigious they are down there - even a fender bender in a parking lot can magically turn into someone suffering "debilitating life altering injuries", especially if they (or their lawyer) gets wind of the fact that it wasn't the registered owner driving it, that the driver isn't even from Canada Or the USA, that the car is from Canada, that they were driving on an international licence, etc etc etc.

I hate lending vehicles so would give a friend a ride to the nearest rental place. Make it someone else's headache. No good deed goes unpunished.

I also don't borrow vehicles.

I would never do it. Just the potential liabilities would be a nightmare, especially in an at-fault collision.

My Niece went through this very thing. Lent the car to her boyfriend, he totalled it 15 min later by rear-ending a transit bus and her insurance had to cover the loss and vehicle replacement cost since he had none of his own. That's a total loss claim on her record now at 20 yo.

I would never do it. Just the potential liabilities would be a nightmare, especially in an at-fault collision.

My Niece went through this very thing. Lent the car to her boyfriend, he totalled it 15 min later by rear-ending a transit bus and her insurance had to cover the loss and vehicle replacement cost since he had none of his own. That's a total loss claim on her record now at 20 yo.

So is he picking up the deductible and premium increase for the next six years or is it ex boyfriend?

No idea man, he got 172'd last year and she still let him drive. One of those girls that will never listen/learn so I stay out of it and don't ask. I'm sure I'll get the lowdown eventually through the missus.

Back
Top Bottom