Any Roofer Recomendations Etobicoke? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Any Roofer Recomendations Etobicoke?

backmarkerducati

Site Supporter
I have put the patio cover project aside for now (other thread).

We need to redo the house roof and so far the quotes are absolutely ridiculous (IMO). My guess is I am expected by the roofers to pay a hefty postal code tax. Quotes are coming in upwards to $20K (pre tax)! So I am looking for a reasonable roofer.

So far I have a handful of quotes by many of the usual suspects and one from a big box store (that one is the highest, as expected).

I have measured the roof it is less than 20 square (2000 square feet surface area). 12-12 pitch, story and a half, with a small dormer with a flat roof (8X8 ). Two valleys and a chimney. L shaped house the ridge is the same height all across. House has a 1300 sq.ft footprint (includes garage), 1800 sq.ft total living space.

I have added up materials and if I was to take a trip to home depot (everything but the flat roof) I am looking at $2608 (before HST) for new shingles, flashing, full ridge vent, ice shield, full felt underlay, nails, plumbing vent gaskets etc. Even if we toss in some plywood etc and it hits $3K.... So these guys all think that another 15K+ or so if what it will cost in labour just for the shingle roof (strip and replace)????

They are quoting the same shingles (or similar) and nothing special IMO material wise. Of course they do not break out the labour vs materials.

Most are quoting around $1500 for the small flat roof on top of the almost $20K.

I expect I will pay a little more due to postal code but.... Friends in Grimsby, Burlington, Oakville and Hamilton are getting quotes in the 5 to 7K range this summer/fall, same size or larger homes (but to be fair less pitch). The last time the roof was done here it was $4500 (previous owner), about 18 years ago (so with inflation today that would be about 7K--not 20K).

Anyway, anyone have a recommended (reasonable and decent) roofer that covers Etobicoke (or are one!)? If it works out I will buy you a case of beer as a finders fee, and not the $1 stuff! Help a fellow rider out....

Last edited:
First Choice Roofing...
I had excellent experience with them. 4 yrs later, my shinlgles are solid and no leaks yet!??
They did like 6-7 houses on my street...
BUT - beware! online reviews are not good...so good luck

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com

http://www.thecuttingedgeroofing.com/

They did our roof two years ago. May not be the cheapest, but I think that putting the nails in the right place and at the right depth is more important than the brand or quality of shingles you select.

Current industry pricing may reflect the volume of work caused by the wind storm earlier this year. I also think there was a GTA house boom 10-15yrs ago and all of those roofs now need work.

I don't have a recommendation for you. But anytime I need a contractor I get about 10 quotes. This weeds out the gouges and low ballers, gives me some sense of what is going on. Then go from there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

About 4 houses on my street did our roofs a few years back. Between 2000-3000sq ft. Ranged between $3000 & $5000. They were ok. My place was last to be done and they caused damage on garage door, rear sliding door, deck and fence. I'm still finding nails in the yard and pulling off plastic strips still left on the shingles.
One house got a different roofer, paid closer to $8k. They tarped everything, no damage, clean work. Written warranty. Brick and mortar office (better chance of upholding warranty imo).
Avenue Roofing, I believe does residential. Been around forever.
And as soon as I remember the name of another place on Wilson I'll get back to you.

Curious, was the bix box store Costco?
If not, I would also look at them.
They force quality upon their contactors and guarantee everything.

Sent from my purple G4 using Tapatalk

About 4 houses on my street did our roofs a few years back. Between 2000-3000sq ft. Ranged between $3000 & $5000. They were ok. My place was last to be done and they caused damage on garage door, rear sliding door, deck and fence. I'm still finding nails in the yard and pulling off plastic strips still left on the shingles.
One house got a different roofer, paid closer to $8k. They tarped everything, no damage, clean work. Written warranty. Brick and mortar office (better chance of upholding warranty imo).
Avenue Roofing, I believe does residential. Been around forever.
And as soon as I remember the name of another place on Wilson I'll get back to you.

Curious, was the bix box store Costco?
If not, I would also look at them.
They force quality upon their contactors and guarantee everything.

The plastic strips dont need pulled off they are just for shipping.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

For shipping?
They are half off and when the wind blows they make an annoying fluttering sound.

Shingles are self sealing - once installed, the heat of the sun should activate the adhesive. The cellophane protects the adhesive before installation.

If they are still coming out now, perhaps your shingles didn’t seal properly? You may be at a higher risk of wind damage...

I had somewhat of a plastic strip issue on the builder’s roof (2003) - needed replacement in 2016.

I paid extra for Owens Corning Duration shingles - they have an extra piece of fabric on the nailing strip that helps the adhesion from the adhesive on the shingle above.

My neighbour also did his roof 2 years ago - IKO Cambridge shingles, and his contractor looked cheap. He had some shingles lift in the wind storm a couple of months ago.

My old roof was IKO Cambridge, whole sections lifted off from the weeks of bad wind storms a few months ago. It was due to bad installation though. Nailed too high on the shingle. Shingles themselves were ok. I ended up on 5 different roofs in my neighbourhood doing repairs for everyone. The plastic strips don't need to come off. The bits fluttering are probably the first row underlay strip that's mounted backwards. If doing a small patch, I'll take em off, but don't expect a roofer doing a whole roof to do it. Some even have the strip labeled to not take it off. That said, if installed properly, the plastic shouldn't be coming off and fluttering. My old roof had a few.

Just a follow-up. Sorry no free beer for anyone on GTAM.

I got one OK quote from the references but not great and the rest were all non-call-backs.

Ended up going with a company at around 9K, hopefully it will be done in the next couple of weeks otherwise I will put it off until he spring. As it gets too cold for the shingles to seal. If I remember I will follow-up with who after the job is done...

For all the quotes (all plus tax):

Overall I had two quotes in the 5 to 6K range. One was a fly-by-night guy, I suspect counterfeit shingles and no insurance. The other low guy ended up being from London. quotes all of Ontario and just hires some local jokers to hammer the nails.

A few quotes in the 8 to 13K range that mostly seemed reasonable and seemed like they knew what they were doing. This included the roofer that was on Home on Homes all the time (at the higher end of this range).

The rest were 18K to 20K and some came out and never sent a quote when I told them I was not looking to spend 20K on a shingle roof.

Overall I had about 10 actual quotes and I contacted 18 companies (as I said some did not call back, some didn't quote after coming out).

The one I packed actually got up on the roof and checked it (many did not, some did not even come to the house!). Discussed all the requirements for flashing, ice shield etc. They included our small flat roof in the quote. They use a trailer not a dumpster (important as we have a new driveway). All in house crews. Finally they have a large number of good reviews online (multiple sources). Lets see how it goes!

Back
Top Bottom