Interesting Spare Bike (Big Naked/Firehawk/Hornet/SV1000/1125CR/etc) | GTAMotorcycle.com

Interesting Spare Bike (Big Naked/Firehawk/Hornet/SV1000/1125CR/etc)

Hardwrkr13

Site Supporter
I've been searching for a spare fun runaround bike to join my bagger in the garage but I'm having trouble deciding what bike I want. It doesn't need bags, I have to like how it looks, not an SS.
Age isn't a factor as long as I can find parts and fuel range doesn't matter. V-twin would be a plus.
I would love a Yamaha MT-01 but owners are asking too much. I'm putting a price limit of $4000 on it.
I've considered:
Bandit 1200/1250 - looks kinda ugly
VTR1000/Firestorm/Firehawk - Sounds awesome but looks ugly.
SV1000S - Can't find a non-S version, sounds awesome, decent looks, kinda meh on personality.
CB900F/Hornet - like the big naked idea but not loving the looks of the Honda.
Buell 1125CR - like the oddball unique style, electrical gremlins and little parts support worries me.

Anyone want to chime in on one of these options or something else to consider.

CB900F - Don't like the looks? Do you find it too boring? I like the slightly sporty UJM look... I wish mine was stock, PO did some stupid things to it cosmetically. Functionally it's the same though, if you find yourself in the neighbourhood you can take mine for a spin

Have a look at the FZ1....great sport touring bike. Tons of power and comfy for long rides..if u change the seat. Handles well also. I have ridden mine to the states a few times and love it. Fuel range is not great because of the tank size but the trade off is worth it.

If I was in that market and set on that budget I'd probably go with a FZ1.

Really though I'd be trying to convince myself to spend a little more and try to find a KTM super duke 990 between $5000-6000. Maybe one of the older Rotax powered Aprilia Tuono as well.

$600 yr full coverage on the FZ1....check your ins rate b4 u buy.

CB900F - Don't like the looks? Do you find it too boring? I like the slightly sporty UJM look... I wish mine was stock, PO did some stupid things to it cosmetically. Functionally it's the same though, if you find yourself in the neighbourhood you can take mine for a spin
I appreciate the offer. Yes bland in only a way Honda can do.

Have a look at the FZ1....great sport touring bike. Tons of power and comfy for long rides..if u change the seat. Handles well also. I have ridden mine to the states a few times and love it. Fuel range is not great because of the tank size but the trade off is worth it.
Forgot to mention that one. First gen ugly. Second gen I've ridden and it just didn't tug at my heartstrings like when I rode a Monster 1200.

How about an older bike?

ZRX?
CB1
NT650?
Early 80's Katana
VF1000 or VFR750
Can't find a ZRX in my range. I'd be all over a CB1 or VF1000 but again can't find one in my range.
The white 93 VFR750F in North Bay looks nice....

I appreciate the offer. Yes bland in only a way Honda can do.

Forgot to mention that one. First gen ugly. Second gen I've ridden and it just didn't tug at my heartstrings like when I rode a Monster 1200.

Can't find a ZRX in my range. I'd be all over a CB1 or VF1000 but again can't find one in my range.
The white 93 VFR750F in North Bay looks nice....

I've had a nicely sorted first gen FZ1 and now have a nicely sorted second gen for my commuter/touring bike. Flash it (Ivan), drop a tooth on the front sprocket and it's a great do it all bike which can be had for very little money. Suspension can also be sorted out fairly cheap.

That said, I've always wanted a ZRX and and early 90's VFR are awesome.

Happy shopping!

I had a 2002 CB900F or CB919 as it is also referred to. I do agree it is a typical bland Honda style but oh man was it a fun bike to ride around now. Plenty of torque, there as no wrong gear to be in, just turn your wrist and it moved. Did a little touring on it, was actually the first bike I started touring on, not great for that, lots of vibration in the handlebars and not a whole lot of wind protection even with the tiny Honda wind deflector. For an around town bike though it is a real blast to ride and great Honda dependability. It never let me down and has not let anyone down. My brother had it after me and then after that my cousin-in-law has it now. It has been dropped and beat up a but but it always keeps on chugging.

How about a Kawasaki Z750 about 110 hp naked fun.

1610_kawasaki-z750-2004-2006.jpg

I've had a nicely sorted first gen FZ1 and now have a nicely sorted second gen for my commuter/touring bike. Flash it (Ivan), drop a tooth on the front sprocket and it's a great do it all bike which can be had for very little money. Suspension can also be sorted out fairly cheap.

That said, I've always wanted a ZRX and and early 90's VFR are awesome.

Happy shopping!
The one I rode had the Ivans flash, exhaust, suspension done by Accelerated, etc.
Rc 51? Tls / tlr 1000?
RC too pricey. TL ugly.

Maybe a VFR?

sportster R with long travel suspension

something like this, then do a 1250cc jug kit.

https://www.rpemotors.com/inventory/view/8974380

buy this lol. I would ride that bike with an easy smile. the long travel suspension raises the seat up where it should be, and I would spoon on some decent sport touring tires to make use of the extra cornering clearance; rather than running the nobbies.
what a beautiful simple bike with old school attitude. nice find.

Last edited:
Wouldn’t a XR1200 be a much better choice? Better motor,suspension,frame/swingarm,choice of tires, and yes brakes. Harder to find I suppose.

Wouldn’t a XR1200 be a much better choice? Better motor,suspension,frame/swingarm,choice of tires, and yes brakes. Harder to find I suppose.

according to a cycle world test of the 2017 xr1200 this is a euro only bike. canada?
and I wouldn't want to have a "classic" with FI and upside down forks. but only my opinion.
caught me dreaming now lol. Im off to look at more pics.

I'd love an XR1200 but it's out of the price range.

Back
Top Bottom