Interesting Spare Bike (Big Naked/Firehawk/Hornet/SV1000/1125CR/etc) | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Interesting Spare Bike (Big Naked/Firehawk/Hornet/SV1000/1125CR/etc)

Not finding much as far as deals on these bikes. Anything in goid shape is way overpriced. Messaged two persons but they seem like dbags so I won't buy from them. Let me know if anyone spots any good deals.

Not liking the styling (mainly just that ugly headlight).

TBH all the old naked bikes are ugly to my eyes, I would expand your budget and spend a few dollars more on a new or slightly used XSR900 or Z900 Kawi.

Last edited:
My favorites are old school UJMs in the 750+ class. 70 and 80's Jap bikes are remarkably reliable and parts are easy to find for Honda's and Yamaha's. There are plenty of old girls in the $sub $3000 range that are ready for daily use.

Nothing like the thrill of a hard ride on a 70's era litre bike!

My favorites are old school UJMs in the 750+ class. 70 and 80's Jap bikes are remarkably reliable and parts are easy to find for Honda's and Yamaha's. There are plenty of old girls in the $sub $3000 range that are ready for daily use.

Kawasaki's not so much it seems. I found a clean KZ that would make a nice winter project but parts seem scarce.

Uhmmmmmmm
Not really
Anything you get for less than $3000 will NOT be reliable as a daily rider.
These bikes are 40 years old. There's lots of parts that need replacing.

If you're going for late '70s, go with a GS. Best bike of the era, handles a lot better than a KZ. After that I would want a four valve Honda. The big Yamaha's of the day sucked, unless you sink a ton of dough into them.
I have a '79 GS 1000, with a Yosh 1085 kit, 33mm smooth bores, big Web cams, big valves, pipe, wheels and 43mm front cartridge suspension off a Gixxer, 6 pot brakes, etc etc etc. It is basically rides the same as a 1200 Bandit with better forks. It was a lot of work to end up with a bike that is comparable to a $1500 bike. I DO like the thing though.....

If you want old nakeds I have a '88 Honda RC31 or a '93 Ducati 900SS CR for sale presently. I am working on a '70 Norton Commando hot rod and a Guzzi T3 that will be ready soon.
... could I interest you in a MINT 1956 Norton Dommi 99? Certified, UVIP in hand, just add gas and oil and GO...first year of the 99s.....

What kind of parts do you need for your KZ, Mr. Hardwrkr? I have a parts KZ1000. Have you met Steve Darlington? If you want to play with KZs, you should know Steve.

Uhmmmmmmm
Not really
Anything you get for less than $3000 will NOT be reliable as a daily rider.
These bikes are 40 years old. There's lots of parts that need replacing.

If you're going for late '70s, go with a GS. Best bike of the era, handles a lot better than a KZ. After that I would want a four valve Honda. The big Yamaha's of the day sucked, unless you sink a ton of dough into them.
I have a '79 GS 1000, with a Yosh 1085 kit, 33mm smooth bores, big Web cams, big valves, pipe, wheels and 43mm front cartridge suspension off a Gixxer, 6 pot brakes, etc etc etc. It is basically rides the same as a 1200 Bandit with better forks. It was a lot of work to end up with a bike that is comparable to a $1500 bike. I DO like the thing though.....

If you want old nakeds I have a '88 Honda RC31 or a '93 Ducati 900SS CR for sale presently. I am working on a '70 Norton Commando hot rod and a Guzzi T3 that will be ready soon.
... could I interest you in a MINT 1956 Norton Dommi 99? Certified, UVIP in hand, just add gas and oil and GO...first year of the 99s.....

What kind of parts do you need for your KZ, Mr. Hardwrkr? I have a parts KZ1000. Have you met Steve Darlington? If you want to play with KZs, you should know Steve.

Great post. Is that GS for sale too?

The one I rode had the Ivans flash, exhaust, suspension done by Accelerated, etc.

RC too pricey. TL ugly.

Maybe a VFR?

Hard man to please!

I also have a second gen the tuono. That may fit the bill, I don't consider it a big bike for whatever reason...

Thanks Bitzz. There's zero GS1000's for sale on kijiji. Was merely perusing online a local clean KZ but I've heard spares are more difficult to find over Honda/Yamaha.
May still look at the KZ this eve if I can pick it up cheap I would like to turn it into a KZ/R type looking racer.

Great post. Is that GS for sale too?

Everything's for sale.
The GS is getting upgraded head bolts and new Cometic base and copper head gaskets so the motor is out of it at the moment.
If you wre truly interested I could move it up in the schedule

I am quite sure Steve Darlington has a GS1000 for sale. It will need work.

I had 3 of them two years ago. Couldn't give them away.

2004 Z750 Kawasaki. Needs a bit of work mainly tires and cosmetically challanged but FI fun. $1400 Losing my free storage and work space so everythings being sold.

cbrfF9o.gif

Y1qBNgt.gif

Everything's for sale.
The GS is getting upgraded head bolts and new Cometic base and copper head gaskets so the motor is out of it at the moment.
If you wre truly interested I could move it up in the schedule

Sent you a pm for more details. I'm in no rush.

Back
Top Bottom