Anyone been fired as a customer from mechanic? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Anyone been fired as a customer from mechanic?

I've fired customers, my peers have fired customers, and we all share the information (and since we all ship most of our work) north America wide between the 50~ of us. If someone is being a pain in the ass, no one wants to deal with it, especially not for $100, $500, or even $1000
3 weeks of sound sleep is much better than having some nob gnawing at the back of your mind for the same time.

In my experience, a customer has to be quite the roll of used toilet paper to get "fired". Otherwise you put up with it--that's why they call it work. Also, an implausible story usually hides an embarrassing truth.

In my experience, a customer has to be quite the roll of used toilet paper to get "fired". Otherwise you put up with it--that's why they call it work. Also, an implausible story usually hides an embarrassing truth.
Just because you are going to work, does not mean you have to accept the fact that your life will be miserable for a while. If you have the choice to prevent that, most people are going to take that route.

Sorry to hear from both sides, but Ace has been great to me as well. Just wanted to share that how a business conducts itself is unique to every owner. Sure they all want to be in the black, and somewhat enjoy life and time off, and everyone eventually gets to a point where they either go big and possibly bring on new stress and less time for leisure, or stick to what they’re doing while also enjoying the other parts of life. Sounds like he’s comfortable where he is, knows that he does not have more time to service more bikes/clients, and that he’s in that wonderful time where all his available time is occupied with clients he values, and can start referring new clients elsewhere and refuse new customers—alike doctors and dentists that do not accept new customers.

I can see the point with a PIA client of a small field, but a bad review for a screw-up by one to affect another?

I think it's always good to hear about bad service, etc.

When posting this type of stuff you better get your flame suit on regardless.

You will get those that will agree with you, and those that will disagree and flame you.

The internetz is serious business.

Before this thread, I had never heard of Ace Mototech. By describing the way that he handled this situation, you may have promoted this gentleman's business more than all the praise that you had sent his way previously.
Put it behind you and move on. The guys at Burlington Cycle are great too.

A lot of businesses don't value their customers as much as they'd like to be valued.

Especially if the business has a huge turnover and customer base, it's easy to say "no" for whichever reason they wish to use.

Tiz the reality of running a business

I turned down 3 jobs yesterday.

First one, because our company doesn't offer the service being inquired about - that one doesn't really count.

Second one, because someone whom I've never heard of sent me a request for quotation, and the timeframe for getting the job done is within my current backlog time (~ 4 weeks) i.e. I can't fit it into my schedule. Usually this is because someone left this until the last moment and is scrambling because everyone is busy (including my competitors). "your failure to plan ahead is not my emergency" - If it were a regular customer, I'd make an effort to change things around to fit it in, but for someone I've never heard of ... "Sorry, I cannot accommodate the requested schedule, and must therefore decline to quote."

Third one, because after some initial discussions over the last few weeks, it turns out that the company (big multinational) has a big specification that they want followed. In my line of work, I have an established way of doing things which has been fine for a couple hundred other clients including other big multinationals. If someone has a specification that they want followed which aligns with our normal procedures so that I don't really have to alter anything (i.e. I can still do the job my way), fine. But asking me to do it their way ... Nope. I've got enough on my plate doing it my way, to decline anyone who wants it done their way. It's my way or the highway.

Well, OP. as a former cop, I know as do most with years of wisdom on their side there is always 3 sides to EVERY story. Your Story, Ace's Story and the truth. Now that isn't to say either party is "lying", but rather the truth lies somewhere in between. As with most stories, something gets left out, either in error or in an attempt to make that story more compelling/believable/or genuine.

In this instance we still have a HUGE portion missing, (Ace's version). they are wise, (especially given the above posts), to not comment, as it seems most are already taking a stance in their defence, and stating they are satisfied and will continue to visit Ace. At this point, there is NO "upside" to their commenting, and they "could" run the risk of alienating some.

Now, as a small business owner, I have had to "fire" a few clients over the course. Some because the service they wanted performed, wasn't possible or practical, and as such went against my way of operating, (even had one say well so and so did that for me..... my response was good then have so and so do it again). Some, because I just had a "hinky" feeling about them, as potential clients. Some, because they had wronged another in my industry, (had failed to pay their bill). Some, because over time, they had become "an issue" for me, (too demanding, always late for appointments, trying to book last minute, constantly rescheduling or simply not showing up). Lastly, as seems to be the case in this instance, the "client" seems as if they "could" become an issue, now does that mean you would have been, NO one knows for sure, but the business owner has done a cost benefits analysis, and determined having you, as a continuing client, is not worth the potential cost to his business.

I was with you, part of the way, but as you continued to type and no doubt became more upset, and felt more justified that your position was correct, you crossed the line. So take this as a "teachable moment", and realize typing a negative review, or in this case the original post in this thread, while upset, is likely to have consequences.

Now if your conviction is that strong and you can "afford" the consequences, then go ahead, and type away. If as in this case it seems that the consequences are too high a price, then push away the keyboard, pick up the phone and discuss it man to man with the person. The internet can be a VERY devastating option to a small business, (negative comments or reviews), but it can also be a god send, (positive reviews and comments). This is a lesson it seems you have come to realize, (albeit too late in this case).

Ace, has laid out their position, (respect the owners wishes and take your business elsewhere), perhaps in a year or 2, personally reach out to him, be contrite, and ask if he would consider taking your business again, (of course while apologizing for THIS thread and advising you have learned from it, perhaps even verbalizing WHAT you learned). There exists, the possibility, that you will find another service provider that provides you with the top drawer service your seeking, and apparently had with Ace, and the previous will become a moot point.

Good luck in your quest for a new service provider.

Last edited:
I remember reading your post about the work you had done earlier this year. The shop in question apologized when contacted and offered a in store discount on product to try and make you happy. Before you took them up on that you had to come here and let everyone know the situation. At that point why should someone want to deal with you, they tried to fix the problem but instead kind of get it thrown in their face.

Even in this thread you mention it as a potentially life threatening situation. Wasn't it a loose clutch perch that spun down? Probably could tighten the 8mm bolt with your fingers until you got home. It's being a bit dramatic and a lot of small business' don't need the noise.

I work for my families small business which has been open for almost 20 years now. Customers get fired from time to time because some people are impossible to make happy.

You'll find a shop you click with and everything will be good. Just remember crap happens sometimes and you don't have to rush to your phone to post every little thing on some forum. You may think I'm wrong and beating up on you but think about it, 2 small business's have "fired" you in a matter of months. You're doing something wrong at this point.

Last edited:
It can easily be rectified.Never type anything that you wouldn't say to someones face.Done.

Jeez. I just got up to speed on this gem of a thread. OP just doesn't get it. He's his own worst enemy.

Interesting thread. With internet forums, blogs, newspaper comments etc...... people can say anything with zero accountability. Impartial and fair reviews are important because there are great vendors out there and those who do poor work as well. If you're a reasonable and fair person getting screwed over is something we'd probably like to know about, but, as said above, there are always three sides to a story.

Man, am I glad I do my own work. Long ago I had good experience with some dealers, not so good with others, but I never got to the point where I posted "Don't go to Motorcycle-X because they screwed me over". Those kind of posts may be justified, but you'll pay a price for them if they find out. Remember that people have their good days and their bad days and they make mistakes. If you give them the chance to clean it up and they do it fine, if they flip you off walk and tell your story. But don't expect to pay some price.

A lot of businesses don't value their customers as much as they'd like to be valued.

BINGO... we have a winner.

Hard reality... You don't matter

Thing is sometimes you need to realize your position...
If I take my car/bike to a mechanic it's because there's an issue beyond my ability.
Two people I don't rush or irritate... My dentist and my mechanic(s).
Whenever I've dropped my car off I always let them know there's no rush and call me when you need to... I don't ever call them. They're busy.

Last edited:
Being self-employed, I've never 'fired' a client - but I've certainly priced jobs at exorbitantly high amounts, or taking way longer than it actually would to make them go away.

Back
Top Bottom