Anyone been fired as a customer from mechanic? | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Anyone been fired as a customer from mechanic?

How would Ace know who you are? Is there a client black ball list going around? Plus, good or bad, don't we like when shops get reviewed? I been to Ace for service and avoided other based on all members reviews. One great or bad review isn't going to change anything.

Sometimes you just get a feel for when a job is not worth taking. It isn't always necessary to get that from someone else.

It's also entirely conceivable that people from the various shops talk to each other about stuff, and "don't deal with X because he is a pain in the tail" doesn't necessarily require connecting an internet username with a real name ... X would be the real name, not the internet username.

The OP has already stated, once you knew his "real name" it would be easy to make the connection, to his Nick here at GTAM.

Most people are ok with reasonable constructive feedback. Once you start to go on a rant or it gets personal then you tick people off.

I called a small local bike shop to ask about the cost of changing tires on carry in wheels. Shop owner told me in was $25/wheel if you bought the tires from him and $40 if not. I told him I'd be bringing in my purchased tires and when he asked me where I purchased them I told him Pete's. He then when on a rant about Pete's, called him a whore destroying Ontario businesses and told me to not bother coming by because he refused to service Pete's customers and he hung up on me.

Really, who needs this type of hassle and why would I ever want trust my bike to someone who flies off the handle like this. So I just went elsewhere and wrote this guy and his shop off. I'm sure it cuts both ways as shop owners get to decide who they do business with.

So, off to the next shop, Burlington Cycle, who tell me on the phone that cost is $25/wheel, even with carry in tires. So wheels get dropped off and then on pickup later in the day I'm told it's $89 total + tax, not $50 + tax. Shop manager tells me that person on the phone told me the wrong price and to please ensure that I'm speaking to the right person when I call for pricing. I politely told him that it's not up to me, the customer, to sort out who is authorized to give me a price and if that price is accurate. So, after a bit of back and forth on this I paid the $50 + tax price. Silly initial response on their part, but it was a civil exchange and we sorted it out. I'd have no issue going back to them.

Last edited:
M

So, off to the next shop, Burlington Cycle, who tell me on the phone that cost is $25/wheel, even with carry in tires. So wheels get dropped off and then on pickup later in the day I'm told it's $89 total + tax, not $50 + tax. Shop manager tells me that person on the phone told me the wrong price and to please ensure that I'm speaking to the right person when I call for pricing. I politely told him that it's not up to me, the customer, to sort out who is authorized to give me a price and if that price is accurate. So, after a bit of back and forth on this I paid the $50 + tax price. Silly initial response on their part, but it was a civil exchange and we sorted it out. I'd have no issue going back to them.

This is the equivalent of an item being incorrectly labeled or the sign on the shelf saying one price and it rings in at checkout as another (higher) price.
Most businesses will without question honour the lower price.
In your example... You're right. It's not your job to sort out who's in charge and they (eventually) did the right thing. It's now the boss's job to clarify policy/prices to his employees.

Shops still get angry about Pete's tires?

Shops still get angry about Pete's tires?

I can understand one shop being upset that someone else is selling for less, but... They need to STFU about it and either compete or die on the vine.
Why should I as a consumer pay more for product just to float someone's business..?

I bought a tire changer thingy set up this year so now I can buy my tires from anyone guilt free..

Good mechanics are hard to find as more mechanics exit the business due to flat rate. As such, there's a shortage of mechanics out there. If you find a good mechanic, take the whole shop coffee and donuts once in a while. A little kindness goes a long way in an underpaid / overworked environment.

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk

Most people are ok with reasonable constructive feedback. Once you start to go on a rant or it gets personal then you tick people off.

I called a small local bike shop to ask about the cost of changing tires on carry in wheels. Shop owner told me in was $25/wheel if you bought the tires from him and $40 if not. I told him I'd be bringing in my purchased tires and when he asked me where I purchased them I told him Pete's. He then when on a rant about Pete's, called him a whore destroying Ontario businesses and told me to not bother coming by because he refused to service Pete's customers and he hung up on me.

Really, who needs this type of hassle and why would I ever want trust my bike to someone who flies off the handle like this. So I just went elsewhere and wrote this guy and his shop off. I'm sure it cuts both ways as shop owners get to decide who they do business with.

When I bought my current bike it was from the USA. A Honda dealer said OK, if you buy a US bike we'll (Basically) screw you when you bring it in for service. The last thing I need is sabotage, financial or otherwise so I simple never take my bike to a Honda dealer. How did they win on that one?

$25 a tire... wow... wish I could find that around Waterloo. Everywhere I looked was $50+ per wheel off the bike.

Good mechanics are hard to find as more mechanics exit the business due to flat rate. As such, there's a shortage of mechanics out there. If you find a good mechanic, take the whole shop coffee and donuts once in a while. A little kindness goes a long way in an underpaid / overworked environment.

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk

This guy gets it. But seriously, there are a number of reasons why more bike shops are closing every year, and as the trend continues everyone has fewer places to go. I don't expect us all to pay more just to float someone's business, but there are many valid reasons why a "brick and mortar" shop located in the GTA can't match prices with an online retailer located in a warehouse somewhere out of town.

I don't expect us all to pay more just to float someone's business, but there are many valid reasons why a "brick and mortar" shop located in the GTA can't match prices with an online retailer located in a warehouse somewhere out of town.

One of the key reasons is that Canadian distribution rights to many of the non OEM parts and accessories we buy are controlled by two vendors, Parts Canada and Motovan. While I obviously have no precise pricing or cost info these two middlemen almost certainly negotiate cost aggressively with manufacturers and then import and resell goods to CAN retailers. I'm pretty sure that a Canadian wholesaler pays a lower import price compared to what we pay to buy goods from a US retailer. Parts Canada and Motovan then tack on their margin and then the CAN retailers add their's and we end up paying almost 50 - 100 percent more for parts and accessories. I think it is an inherently inefficient and ineffective system and the resulting high costs are driving customers to online sales that bypass the existing supply chain and this impacts the long term viability of bikes shops in Canada.

I was fired as a customer a couple times at least when I was younger. Living in a mining camp, we would go to town 25kms away and plant ourselves in the strip joint. cut us off a few times...

I've never considered taking my bike to Ace Mototech even though I've heard of the shop over the last few years.

After reading this thread (aside from people disagreeing with you), your posts have actually convinced me to bring my bike there if I needed a bike mechanic.
You make Adrian look like a great all-around guy that can get the job done as long as you don't bring him bad publicity - no business owner would want to deal with unneeded drama especially if they're not begging for work/customers.
The way I read it is "Adrian is a great mechanic, does good work, good to talk with as long as you don't bad mouth people he could potentially have connections with".

I'd be surprised if your friends actually stop using him because of the reason you stated just to prove a point.

As an employee, you'd likely get **** if you turn down or treat a client badly because the business owner loses money.
As a business owner, you can choose who you work with and in your case, a few hundred dollars wasn't worth the trouble and he'd rather take that and consider it a loss (or win - depending on how you look at it).

Last edited:
Ive read alot of good reviews about Ace Moto Tech on here and i have tried to call him on numerous occasions to bring my bike in for a tire change and oil change. I must say that as a person that works in customer service and sales also he does not seem to have good customer service. The reason behind my speculation is that i have called his shop at least 30 times and not once has anybody ever answered the phone, i have attempted to call in all different times of the day because i thought okay maybe hes walking around the shop or w.e but i have left multiple messages to him and not once has anyone followed up. I needed a tire last week and called once every day of the week and still nobody answers. Customer service is number one thing now a days and the fact that you can never get a hold of someone is a major turn off. Dont know anything about the guy or his shop but from the good reviews here i wanted to use him, changed my mind up real quick after not being able to reach him over 30 times. Every other shop you call will answer your call or at least follow up with your messages, to me i thought this shop was closed down because nobody ever wants to answer a phone call. Just my 2 cents.

Ive read alot of good reviews about Ace Moto Tech on here and i have tried to call him on numerous occasions to bring my bike in for a tire change and oil change. I must say that as a person that works in customer service and sales also he does not seem to have good customer service. The reason behind my speculation is that i have called his shop at least 30 times and not once has anybody ever answered the phone, i have attempted to call in all different times of the day because i thought okay maybe hes walking around the shop or w.e but i have left multiple messages to him and not once has anyone followed up. I needed a tire last week and called once every day of the week and still nobody answers. Customer service is number one thing now a days and the fact that you can never get a hold of someone is a major turn off. Dont know anything about the guy or his shop but from the good reviews here i wanted to use him, changed my mind up real quick after not being able to reach him over 30 times. Every other shop you call will answer your call or at least follow up with your messages, to me i thought this shop was closed down because nobody ever wants to answer a phone call. Just my 2 cents.

Have to agree, tried calling him about my R3 last year and never heard back despite leaving a few messages. Figured he was closing up or didn't care for the business.

/shrug

LOL, looks like OP hasn't learned anything.

you should try going back there with a wig and an accent. maybe they wont recognise you. be sure to start a thread about it after to let us know how it went

I've been to Ace Moto Tech a few times over the years with various bikes. Just sent Adrian a text this afternoon about getting some work done on one of my bikes and heard back from him, no problem. Exchanged a few pleasantries, got caught up a bit and then got the bike booked in.
He'll always get my recommendation, my vote and my business. You'll never find anyone with as much skill and attention to detail. Period.
I know he's a busy guy with a busy shop so I try to plan ahead and be as flexible as possible when it comes to him scheduling me in.
As others have said, attitude goes a long way too. So be nice when you leave him voicemails. Stop by the shop, say hi, maybe bring a Timmies gift card. Basically, don't be a dick. He doesn't have time for that, nor should he have to deal with that!

Bought tires from him years ago, I did find though that he was 'touchy' about internet posts/reviews
Nice enough guy but was pushy about posting positive reviews about his business online.

Back
Top Bottom