Can someone please explain what this means ? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Can someone please explain what this means ?

SentsunaKiryu

"Finally, a reminder that your M1 Temporary Permit expires ninety (90) days from the date you received it. While your test results will remain eligible after it expires, you will not be licensed to ride a motorcycle until you upgrade to your M2 licence class." ---- Does it mean MTO will upgrade me to M2 even if I go to them after my M1 has expired ??

My M1 is expiring on 6th of September. And I can only go to DriveTest to upgrade it to M2 on Saturday which is 8th of September.

Yes...so basically you cannot ride after your M1 expires until you have your M2 licence in hand.

In your example, you cannot ride Friday or Saturday until after you leave the MTO office with your M2 licence.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Finally, a reminder that your M1 Temporary Permit expires ninety (90) days from the date you received it. While your test results will remain eligible after it expires, you will not be licensed to ride a motorcycle until you upgrade to your M2 licence class." ---- Does it mean MTO will upgrade me to M2 even if I go to them after my M1 has expired ??

Wording is unclear. Where are you quoting this from?

If your M1 expires, you have to take your M1 test again *before* you get your M2.

The only difference is that you don't have to wait the 60 day waiting period to get your M2. Provided the M1 hasn't expired 3 years ago or more:

https://www.ontario.ca/page/renew-expired-drivers-licence

Novice licence expired less than 3 years

Licence type: G1, G2, M1, M2, M2-L
Process: when you reapply for a new licence, you do not have to serve the mandatory waiting periods. You can book your first road test as soon as you pass your eye test. You can book your G2 road test, as soon as you pass your G1 road test.

What ! I need to give written M1 again ? I am quoting this from my Riders Training School's email.

You cannot get your M2 unless you have a valid M1.

What that e-mail means is that if you've taken your M2 road test, the results will still be valid *after* you retake your M1 test again.

Edit: The M2 results are valid for 6 months after you take the test.

Last edited:
What ! I need to give written M1 again ? I am quoting this from my Riders Training School's email.

Correct, you will need to rewrite your M1, between now and Friday. IF, you show up for your road test on Saturday with an EXPIRED M1, they WILL refuse to complete the road test, (your an UNLICENCED person at that point). That is why you should have booked your road test the MINUTE you got the M1 written test done!!!

Correct, you will need to rewrite your M1, between now and Friday. IF, you show up for your road test on Saturday with an EXPIRED M1, they WILL refuse to complete the road test, (your an UNLICENCED person at that point). That is why you should have booked your road test the MINUTE you got the M1 written test done!!!

He's already done the M1 Exit with a riding school. Just that he can't go to the Drive Test centre to submit the M2 paperwork until *after* his M1 expires.

why don't you call them and find out. maybe talk to a senior drvietest employee. Lets us know what happened. later

When I passed my course , I couldn’t get to the drive test Center to update it till later.
My M1 expired by 1 day when I went , and I fully expected to have to do the written exam for the M1 again.
The person said that as long as I passed the M1 exit before the M1 expired I should be good to just have it updated to M2.
And sure enough , they updated my license to M2 with no problems.

I went today and Upgraded my M1 to M2. Took a half day off. When asked the DT lady about the rewriting of M1 she said “Yes, you would have to write your M1 again if you’d came on After it’s expired”.

MGK has almost put Em in a body bag.

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com

Last edited:
Glad you got it done.

I went today and Upgraded my M1 to M2. Took a half day off. When asked the DT lady about the rewriting of M1 she said “Yes, you would have to write your M1 again if you’d came on After it’s expired”.

MGK has almost put Em in a body bag.

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com

Back
Top Bottom