Honda CTX1300 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Honda CTX1300

I think they're neat. Interesting alternative touring bike, I don't see too many come up for sale though

any feedback on this bike?...good, bad, ugly?
ugly. Part of the last Honda regimes attempt to use the Same model for cars on their bikes. They slotted that bike between the Goldwing FB6, ST 1300, VFR1200 and the VTX — it didn’t really appeal to any one and the cancelled it quick.

the same for the little sister the CTX700 which cancelled the Shadow750 and VFR800.

Common complaints were underpowered (both used destined bee motors to enhance rid ability for beginners), chunky profile, poor touring performance all around

I think it's a really cool looking bike; closest thing to a spaceship! It will be a conversation starter, that's for sure, since they only lasted 2 model years and no one knows what they are. It was a replacement for the ST1300 but didn't hit the mark.

I took one for a demo ride and it was smooth and powerful, but it has a wonky entertainment system and the ergos weren't quite right for me.

The motor is from the ST1300 (so you'd think I'd be partial to a CTX) but it is de-tuned from the ST and the rest of the bike is a flop. The seating position is a weird cross between a cruiser and an ST bike that is just weird feeling. Also the factory luggage is nice and stream-lined looking but is actually quite shallow and doesn't hold much. I guess the on-board stereo is a nice idea but I ride with earplugs and a full helmet so I'd never hear the thing anyway.

Plenty of great cruiser/touring bikes and ST bikes in this size/price range out there. Pick one side of the fence or the other and I think you'll be much happier either way than you would be on the CTX.

The motor is from the ST1300 (so you'd think I'd be partial to a CTX) but it is de-tuned from the ST and the rest of the bike is a flop. The seating position is a weird cross between a cruiser and an ST bike that is just weird feeling. Also the factory luggage is nice and stream-lined looking but is actually quite shallow and doesn't hold much. I guess the on-board stereo is a nice idea but I ride with earplugs and a full helmet so I'd never hear the thing anyway.

Plenty of great cruiser/touring bikes and ST bikes in this size/price range out there. Pick one side of the fence or the other and I think you'll be much happier either way than you would be on the CTX.

loving all the feedback here guys, thanks...as i mentioned in another post, hubby is looking for something a little more comfortable than his FZ1 (private parts going numb and seating sucks)...we're looking at making some changes to his bike, but in the event they don't work (have risers/pullbacks on order) we're looking for alternative rides...

we've come across a Vulcan Voyager which he likes the look of (and seating position according to cycle-ergo website) and going to look at both of these on the weekend...

Morrissey, what other ST bikes are you thinking of?

Keep in mind a FZ1 is hard to sell if that matters in this process.
Big difference between ST/cruiser/bagger so that's a hard question to say what to recommend. Decide what type he really wants to go with and then options can be given.

Keep in mind a FZ1 is hard to sell if that matters in this process.
Big difference between ST/cruiser/bagger so that's a hard question to say what to recommend. Decide what type he really wants to go with and then options can be given.

hard to sell because of age, mileage, insurance or a combination of all three?...we're kind of thinking the same thing (none of the dealers we talked to want it as a trade LOL)...

not really a huge deal but really, what's the difference between the three categories ST, cruiser and bagger?...i know ST stands for sport tourer (which is what we thought his FZ1 was), a cruiser has feet forward (which he doesn't like) and a bagger has all the hard/soft bags...like i said, he likes the sitting position of a Voyager 1700 (again, according to cycle-ergo)...

Litre sized sporty nakeds like the FZ1, SV1000, Firehawk are all great bikes but market is very small for them. You'll see plenty of them on kijiji clean and low priced but they don't sell. If your FZ is 10yrs old and higher mileage you'll have to give it away. There's a nice clean looking 07 FZ1 listed for 3100 and it's been sitting.

I've never seen one in person but from the pics I think it looks pretty neat. Looks like it'd be a good mile-muncher. At 732-lbs wet though it's a big-boned girl.

There are a few on kijiji and they look pretty spendy. Not sure if that's "ridiculously overpriced" territory or "these are genuinely good, rare machines."

Sounds like he needs a adv bike.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

i mentioned those and he sat on a few but they're all too tall for him...he's only 5'8" with a 29" inseam...we haven't looked into lowering them, but i know most will say not to do it (unless of course both front and rear are lowered appropriately to keep the geometry of the bike)...

i mentioned those and he sat on a few but they're all too tall for him...he's only 5'8" with a 29" inseam...we haven't looked into lowering them, but i know most will say not to do it (unless of course both front and rear are lowered appropriately to keep the geometry of the bike)...
They call I ride on 1190 KTM and am not much taller i can only touch on one side tip toe. My wife is 5'5 and can ride it but has to shift to the side at lights. Comfort and riding position is unbelievable.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I'm in the same boat as your hubby, 5'8" and a 29" inseam. I loved ADV bikes, the V-strom especially but found they were too tall for my comfort. I would especially feel uncomfortable on one if I had a passenger too. If you're looking for more comfort and 2 up capable I would suggest looking at an ST1300 (I love mine) or the equivalent models from Yamaha or Kawasaki, the FJR and the Concours 14. If none of those impress give serious thought to a gently used Goldwing. They are super comfortable and wicked fast and handle much better than the Vulcan he is looking at. Insurance should be roughly the same vs the 1700 Voyager too. One of the nicest features on the Wing is the electric reverse. On a bigger bike it would be really nice to have!

Sounds to me like you're completely in the dark or undecided as to what style of bike you want or need. Are you intending to ride a few hours at a time a couple of times a month or do you want to be able to ride 8 hours + a day and tour around Ontario and nearby US states?

If you're just motoring around town you might be very happy with a cruiser type bike. If you want to travel to NY and PA on the weekend to enjoy their relatively twisty roads you're probably not going to be happy on a cruiser and a ST type bike may be more suited to your needs.

As you're in Milton why not go to KW Honda, Two Wheel Motorsport or Hully Gully in London and spend some time looking at their new and used stock to get some idea as to the look and feel of ST, Touring, Adventure and cruiser type bikes. There's nothing like having dozens of bikes side by side to quickly compare features and get some sense of riding ergos.

I'm in the same boat as your hubby, 5'8" and a 29" inseam. I loved ADV bikes, the V-strom especially but found they were too tall for my comfort. ...
You could be comfortable on a current model DL650 VSTROM -- Suzuki offers a factory seat that works for a 29" inseam. I have one, it came with the bike, it's a few mm taller than an ST1300. I slip it on when I'm riding around town, then go back to the regular seat when travelling.

Well we went out looking today and traded in his FZ1 for a CTX1300...it fit him the best so hopefully this will alleviate his issues...pick it up next weekend...thanks again for the feedback...

Back
Top Bottom