A comfortable SS? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

A comfortable SS?

Hey guys, wow thank you all for the responses! I can always count on GTAM to help cure me of some ill conceived notion! I considered an SS because I've always wanted to at least own one for a little while to check it out, but I don't think my riding style is suited for it.

I've considered the CBR500 but the CB500F was already in my stable and not sure I want to go that same platform (although I quite enjoyed it), and the 500s are fairly affordable.

I will look into the FZ6 ( I think it's the FZ6R that's not rated well if I recall some threads here), and the VFR800 is a dream bike for me that I've always lusted over, but not sure I wanted to go up to 800cc yet. As you mostly know I'm a tame rider, and not looking for razor sharp performance.

This is one 600SS I considered: https://www.kijiji.ca/v-sport-bikes...bo/1380901356?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

I'll call insurance just for kicks to see what they say, I HOPE that my 6 years of riding trouble free won't put a huge markup on my insurance...but most likely will end up with some ST platform instead.

One of my buddies actually had a CB600 F4i and it seemed fairly comfortable. I think it was on here that a member bought one long distance as well. Buddy sold the F4i and went to a CBR600RR and while uncomfortable...the performance was miles above beyond my CB500F....he said my bike felt very very slow in comparison!
I've also considered getting an ss just because I've always wanted one. Its completely not practical but sometimes you just have to live. I will say ~$6k for an ~10 year old bike like the one you posted is pushing the expensive side IMO but ss bikes tend to be that way. VFR is on my list too but I feel I need to scratch that ss itch even if only for a few years.

Sent from my ZTE B2017G using GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app

I've also considered getting an ss just because I've always wanted one. Its completely not practical but sometimes you just have to live. I will say ~$6k for an ~10 year old bike like the one you posted is pushing the expensive side IMO but ss bikes tend to be that way. VFR is on my list too but I feel I need to scratch that ss itch even if only for a few years.

If you pick a Honda or a Suzuki SS, it's not as uncomfortable as you might think. Sure, would take some getting used to initially, but after couple months you would enjoy it.

Gotta use the legs/core to take the weight off the wrists. Works great IMO.

If you pick a Honda or a Suzuki SS, it's not as uncomfortable as you might think. Sure, would take some getting used to initially, but after couple months you would enjoy it.

Comfort or lack thereof isn't a concern. Most ss have ergos that aren't far off from my sv650s and I'm reasonably fit. Well at least for my age lol

06 ZZR600 is not comfortable at all. Not sure about the 1200. Cbr1krr is significantly more comfy IME.

Was thinking pre-06, different model (ZX6E). Not quite as severe as 06+. Same deal with the Thundercat/R6 for Yamaha.

06 ZZR600 is not comfortable at all. Not sure about the 1200. Cbr1krr is significantly more comfy IME.

Was thinking pre-06, different model (ZX6E). Not quite as severe as 06+. Same deal with the Thundercat/R6 for Yamaha. Motorcycle's fit like mattresses--tiny changes can make all the difference.

EDIT: Double post? Sorry.

Street triple R. Pretty much a SS with a handlebar instead of clip ons. Try to ride a SS though, everyone is different and I find clip ons and rear set pegs fairly comfortable.

Not an SS but check out a used second gen Yamaha FZ1.
I am on my second. Had a 2006 and now a 2012.
Flashed ECU, custom map, AIS blocked, Yosh pipe and a few other mods.
Blow away most SS I have met yet still an amazingly comfortable machine.

GSXR is likely still the most comfortable SS... depends on what you're looking for in terms of ergo's

Comfortable is subjective.

I can ride my daytona all day long with its track focused ergos, but others may be sore after 20-30min.

Got rid of my Gixxer to get my YZF600R. Little heavier, but can still get me into trouble if I let it.

ZX14 is the comfiest bike I've owned after my Goldwing. Started with an 07 now I have a 13. Insurance was insane in Ontario except for through Waterloo Insurance. Call them. I paid $1000/year full coverage. Other companies had it blacklisted or insanely priced (this is also why you can find them cheap). After 4 days of calling around they were the only ones I could find. It's not a canyon carver but it does a reasonable job of handling and a phenomenal job of being comfy and fast. As an all around street bike Id say it's a solid 9/10.

https://www.revzilla.com/common-tread/2015-kawasaki-zx-14r-review

How about the Kawi Z1000.. Lots of power, lots of fun but with a slightly better seating position due to the handlebars.

Not an SS but check out a used second gen Yamaha FZ1.
I am on my second. Had a 2006 and now a 2012.
Flashed ECU, custom map, AIS blocked, Yosh pipe and a few other mods.
Blow away most SS I have met yet still an amazingly comfortable machine.

+1 on that....

My 5th gen vfr (99-2001) was acquired for a hair over $3000 2 years ago, with full kappa racks/cases.
Low miles too and took it out for nearly 8 hours on it's maiden voyage. Surprised the heck out of me for ergos for an average sized person.
Insurance was only $180/year more than my ex500.
Big bonus over all the other 600-1000cc inline 4's are gear-driven cams. MMMMMMMmmmmmmmm giddyup

Thanks everyone for the responses. I'll try and pop into a dealer to sit on a VFR800 as it seems porkly....but not sure.

Surprisingly....insurance on the VFR800 is about $1200/year, and the GSXR600 comes in around $780....which is the same as my previous CB500F....go figure. Clean record, 38m.

I drool over 6th gen white vfr that I see sometimes on my way home after work.

Either that or cbr600 f4i, before the RR versions with non-banana seat. I heard those are comfortable.

Thanks everyone for the responses. I'll try and pop into a dealer to sit on a VFR800 as it seems porkly....but not sure.

Surprisingly....insurance on the VFR800 is about $1200/year, and the GSXR600 comes in around $780....which is the same as my previous CB500F....go figure. Clean record, 38m.

May I ask which insurance company ?

Mid-90s CBR's are reasonably comfortable. The F3 is very comfy. The F4 is a little more sporty but still comfortable. I got a 99 F4 this summer. Not as comfortable as my Street Triple but still decent. Not far off my Ninja 500...probably couldn't ride the CBR nearly as long as the Ninja 500 though.

To add to that, the motor characteristics of an inline 4 around the city is a snoozefest. I'd have more fun on a small displacement bike with the sprockets geared down. On the inline fours, the party zone doesn't really happen until 10k and always seem to be dropping gears on the highway. The triple was always fun.

May I ask which insurance company ?

TD MM. Been with them for a while. Once the insurance provided by both SF and Dalton Timmis went up the quote from TD ended up being lower....go figure...

Plus the quotes from DT were nuts after my 3 month (now 6 month) break from riding because 3 months was considered an insurance GAP so I had to start from scratch with them.

Back
Top Bottom