A comfortable SS? | GTAMotorcycle.com

A comfortable SS?

mimico_polak

Site Supporter
So because I’m an idiot I’m still looking for something to replace my CB500F since I sold it. I’ve looked at cruisers (VSTAR/Rebel 250/ Shadow RS/ Sportster 883) and I’m not Gaga over them....and I started to think about dipping my toes into the SS world.

Looking for something that that can be comfortable for all day riding, not too bad on insurance (clean record, 38M, and can have some luggage added on - not a hard requirement). Would prefer ABS, and stick under 5k.

a part of me has always wanted to try an SS, but I typically favour sport touring due to egos. As I won’t be commuting on it I can deal with a little less comfort.

ZX-14 and Hayabusa

You can check the ergonomics of the bikes you are interested here:

http://cycle-ergo.com/

Plug in your height and inseam and it will spit out some stats. Then choose a different bike and compare.

Here's your CB500F:

04wi1013HYSGJUyUyUyUyUy0n.png

Is it just to belt around town??

The headache with the GTA is it takes a couple hours to get to reasonable roads. Depends on your tolerance and also before you even start get an insurance quote for a 600ss anything...then come back if it's still in the cards.

What about the sportier version of the SVs?

Last edited:
Why not more towards the sports/sports touring route, like the CBR650FA, Ninja 650R, Ninja 1000, VFR, SV650, etc? Similar design, but more better ergonomics and much better on insurance compared to SS bikes.

I couldn't take the ss ergos anymore at about the age of 58.I sold my ss and bought a Hypermotard Ducati that was a HUGE improvement.Much more fun esp with the DP comfort seat and a little windscreen.

Generally supersports and superbikes have gravitated more and more towards track functions. Look at 2000 models vs today. The class used to be street bikes for the occasional track day and are now just the opposite. Moreso, most examples now cater to specific niches to carve out their market share. They look great, but I equate it to driving a jet around the airport but never getting on the runway. I doubt you will find a SS or SB you can ride all day at 38. I can just manage a VFR1200 all day. Consider the FZ09, FJ09, VFR800 and some of the other examples mentioned. Add a gel seat/pad. They don't look quite as sporty, but after riding all day you'll be thankful for it.

GSXRs are typically called the most comfortable supersport bike. That said, I find opinions really vary on what people find comfy. I tend to prefer perched bikes like the R6 and Daytona whereas others like the feeling of sitting « in » the bike that you get from GSXRs. If I were you I would hit up a dealership and just sit on them to find what you like.

btw I think the ergo problem on the SS is hugely exaggerated; it is more uncomfortable than sport tourers or cruisers, but it is far from torturous. A good seat and good form (arms loose, relaxed stance) goes a huge way to avoiding fatigue.

GSXRs are typically called the most comfortable supersport bike. That said, I find opinions really vary on what people find comfy. I tend to prefer perched bikes like the R6 and Daytona whereas others like the feeling of sitting « in » the bike that you get from GSXRs. If I were you I would hit up a dealership and just sit on them to find what you like.

btw I think the ergo problem on the SS is hugely exaggerated; it is more uncomfortable than sport tourers or cruisers, but it is far from torturous. A good seat and good form (arms loose, relaxed stance) goes a huge way to avoiding fatigue.

Agree, and I would add that if you still have problems with a SS then bar options like Helibars can do wonders. They look stock since the change is only 1-2 inches higher but it makes a difference.

As for a bike for the OP, I am really liking what I've read about the Ninja 400. Lighter than the CBR500R with a higher redline and a couple more HP (49 in Canada). Ergos are not as extreme as a typical SS.

Last edited:
vfr800 sixth gen (2002-2009) fits your requirements and budget

$_59.JPG

So because I’m an idiot I’m still looking for something to replace my CB500F since I sold it. I’ve looked at cruisers (VSTAR/Rebel 250/ Shadow RS/ Sportster 883) and I’m not Gaga over them....and I started to think about dipping my toes into the SS world.

Looking for something that that can be comfortable for all day riding, not too bad on insurance (clean record, 38M, and can have some luggage added on - not a hard requirement). Would prefer ABS, and stick under 5k.

a part of me has always wanted to try an SS, but I typically favour sport touring due to egos. As I won’t be commuting on it I can deal with a little less comfort.
Comfortable SS is an oxymoron - there are none - you have to accept ergos setup for racing, and those are not too close to ergos setup for comfort.

Like Wingboy, I aged out of the SS market this year, trading mine in for a more ergo friendly ADV. For me it wasn't fatigue, cramps or pain -- it was the relatively uncomfortable position you have to maintain for hours while travelling. You will feel come discomfort in your hands and arms after long rides -- this comes from the stiff suspension bouncing the meat off your bones -- that will go away as you use those muscles. My biggest issue your head is pinned back as far as you neck will bend -- my thrice injured neck was complaining too much and there isn't much you can do about neck position.

Also consider you are coming from an entry level bike that is relatively subdued, a 600ss is more than doubling the power and the power is harder to use.

Unless you're using public roadways as a track, any 600+cc ST or naked should take you well past the legal limits of public roads. They are comfortable, close enough to their SS sisters in performance, way cheaper to insure, and in the long run more dependable and utilitarian. Also, for 600SS money, you can get into the 900CC STs which easily run (maybe outrun) the a 600SS.

Watch this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYahwC4fcNk

With a $5k budget you have a lot of very sweet and powerful used sport tourers to choose from. It's the ergos to work out.

FZ6 you might consider as well given your inseam. One of my staff is on the short side and loves his.

$_59.JPG

2009 Yamaha FZ6R for sale. Excellent condition. Never dropped. Includes Givi side cases and waterproof nav, and stands. Givi cases come off with the push of a button and mounting frame with the twist of a screw driver. Very comfortable bike, great for any rider. 14700km, not much riding in the past 2 years, need space back.

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-sport-touri...6r/1380785742?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

nice rig

Note the comment on this review ( read the review it's informative )

Yamaha has a vast super sport offering especially in the middleweight class and the 2009 FZ6 completes their lineup with bold half-faired style and YZF-like performance, but without the fatiguing riding position that always puts its fingerprint on a rider’s lower back and wrists. Following a natural evolution and enjoying immense popularity among those who require everything from a road bike, the Yamaha FZ6 is truly worth our attention.
https://www.topspeed.com/motorcycles/motorcycle-reviews/yamaha/2009-yamaha-fz6-ar69238.html

It's light and quick with a proven track record.

This is a world away in performance difference from your previous ride BTW.

Last edited:
Most of the small-displacement sport bikes are standard bikes in disguise. Handlebars above the upper triple clamp, footpegs not too high, suspension settings oriented more towards being comfortable and forgiving, etc.

The Honda CBR500 and CBR300 and Kawasaki Ninja 300 are like that. In the brief ride I had on the street on a Yamaha R3, it's remarkably comfortable. If I had to go back to just one street bike, it would probably be an R3.

With a $5k budget you have a lot of very sweet and powerful used sport tourers to choose from. It's the ergos to work out.

FZ6 you might consider as well given your inseam. One of my staff is on the short side and loves his.

$_59.JPG

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-sport-touri...6r/1380785742?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

nice rig

Note the comment on this review ( read the review it's informative )

https://www.topspeed.com/motorcycles/motorcycle-reviews/yamaha/2009-yamaha-fz6-ar69238.html

It's light and quick with a proven track record.

This is a world away in performance difference from your previous ride BTW.

I had a 2010 FZ6R and LOVED it...very fast (had it over 200 kph) and fun in the twisties...only reason it's gone is i crashed and replaced it with an FZ07...my only complaint was it was top heavy and that's why i didn't get another just like it...i had mine lowered (28.5" inseam) so i could at least flat foot one side...FZ07 is fun too, just not at speeds over 120 kph (too much wind drag even with a wind screen)...but it's very light and a ton of fun...

Try some of the older carbed SS bikes. The ergos aren't too bad and can be modified more easily, IMO. As long as they have haven't been afflicted by modding disease, they will be reliable and fast enough. A Blackbird or ZZR1200 maybe.

Try some of the older carbed SS bikes. The ergos aren't too bad and can be modified more easily, IMO. As long as they have haven't been afflicted by modding disease, they will be reliable and fast enough. A Blackbird or ZZR1200 maybe.
06 ZZR600 is not comfortable at all. Not sure about the 1200. Cbr1krr is significantly more comfy IME.

Hey guys, wow thank you all for the responses! I can always count on GTAM to help cure me of some ill conceived notion! I considered an SS because I've always wanted to at least own one for a little while to check it out, but I don't think my riding style is suited for it.

I've considered the CBR500 but the CB500F was already in my stable and not sure I want to go that same platform (although I quite enjoyed it), and the 500s are fairly affordable.

I will look into the FZ6 ( I think it's the FZ6R that's not rated well if I recall some threads here), and the VFR800 is a dream bike for me that I've always lusted over, but not sure I wanted to go up to 800cc yet. As you mostly know I'm a tame rider, and not looking for razor sharp performance.

This is one 600SS I considered: https://www.kijiji.ca/v-sport-bikes...bo/1380901356?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

I'll call insurance just for kicks to see what they say, I HOPE that my 6 years of riding trouble free won't put a huge markup on my insurance...but most likely will end up with some ST platform instead.

One of my buddies actually had a CB600 F4i and it seemed fairly comfortable. I think it was on here that a member bought one long distance as well. Buddy sold the F4i and went to a CBR600RR and while uncomfortable...the performance was miles above beyond my CB500F....he said my bike felt very very slow in comparison!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom