helmet fit - how tight is too tight? | GTAMotorcycle.com

helmet fit - how tight is too tight?

OverrRyde

Hey everyone, just receive my helmet i ordered (HJC CS-R3) and fitment around the dome is nice and comfortable. Only questioning the tightness on the cheek pads. This is a brand new helmet so i understand if it is tight and will loosen over time. But i wonder how tight is too tight?

I measured my melon at 58.5cm so i got a large which the sizing chart says is for 59-60cm. Large is 61-62cm which i feel would not be a good idea to get.

Is this just a matter of getting use to it and breaking the helmet? Yes, this is my first ever helmet and never really worn one before!

Cheer!

Hey everyone, just receive my helmet i ordered (HJC CS-R3) and fitment around the dome is nice and comfortable. Only questioning the tightness on the cheek pads. This is a brand new helmet so i understand if it is tight and will loosen over time. But i wonder how tight is too tight?

I measured my melon at 58.5cm so i got a large which the sizing chart says is for 59-60cm. Large is 61-62cm which i feel would not be a good idea to get.

Is this just a matter of getting use to it and breaking the helmet? Yes, this is my first ever helmet and never really worn one before!

Cheer!
As long as no pressure points on the head, I would think it's good. It does loosen up around the cheeks quite a bit in a couple months.

I bought a bell star at the beginning of the season and was quite tight around the cheek area. Now it's much more comfortable after break-in.

yes, it will break in over time a bit
if you have to, can look at taking the padding out and shave down a bit
not where your dome is protected, but nothing wrong with taking some material out of the cheeks

helmet is one item I always try on before buying
see so many ads for new- unused helmets because they don't fit

no need for a street rider to look like this

http://[img]https://i.imgur.com/Df7voZn.jpg[/img]

Last edited:
As long as no pressure points on the head, I would think it's good. It does loosen up around the cheeks quite a bit in a couple months.

I bought a bell star at the beginning of the season and was quite tight around the cheek area. Now it's much more comfortable after break-in.

i've been wearing it for about 45 minutes now and my jaw is sore, akin to chewing bubble gum for too long, and feel some pressure at the back of my neck, although i have been sitting at my desk working away at the time!

yes, it will break in over time a bit
if you have to, can look at taking the padding out and shave down a bit
not where your dome is protected, but nothing wrong with taking some material out of the cheeks

helmet is one item I always try on before buying
see so many ads for new- unused helmets because they don't fit

no need for a street rider to look like this

http://[img]https://i.imgur.com/Df7voZn.jpg[/img]

definitely does not look like that, but feel like it! lol

i wear a bell xl

i tried a large. it wouldn't get on my head. now that, was too tight.

I've been buying things online for years but would never buy a helmet or gear unless I had some history or experience with the manufacturer and their sizing. Sizing is not consistent vendor to vendor and you need to try things on to ensure they are going to fit ok.

^ definitely
and it's not just size with a helmet
shape can change, even across the same manufacturer
must try on to see if you like it

I was always told that if you try to chew in a properly fitted helmet it should feel slightly uncomfortable.

It should fit the head snugly as possible without pressure points or pain. For the cheeks, you should be pretty much biting them if you tried to chew, at least when the helmet is new (things break in over road time).

i've been wearing it for about 45 minutes now and my jaw is sore, akin to chewing bubble gum for too long, and feel some pressure at the back of my neck, although i have been sitting at my desk working away at the time!

definitely does not look like that, but feel like it! lol

I made the mistake of trying a friend's helmet and went for a ride. After an hour I started feeling the pain but had to ride another hour to get back home.

I spent over an hour trying on helmets at GP last week. I brought my riding headphones, glasses and sunglasses to try them all out. You really should do something like that for a helmet, it let me figure out exactly what brands and styles fit my head shape the most. My first helmet I bought online, it never actually fit right despite measuring myself. I left GP with a new Scorpion exo-gt920 modular and I love it, it fits me perfectly with even pressure all the way around, it has a glasses channel and doesn't rip out my headphones when going on or off. and I never thought I would like the modular but dam it's nice for putting on glasses, sitting in the heat, yelling at scrubs in cars, all those goodies.

Back
Top Bottom