Helmet Exemption Coming for Sikh Motorcyclists in Ontario | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Helmet Exemption Coming for Sikh Motorcyclists in Ontario

Then i guess we can agree to disagree :) because outside of wishing someone ill (i dont wish that on any rider), he was making a valid point.

Then i guess we can agree to disagree :) because outside of wishing someone ill (i dont wish that on any rider), he was making a valid point.

I was referring to the "my tax dollars" part of his statement when I said it was one of the dumbest responses to the argument.

He was talking about his tax dollars having to pay for the injuries that could result from the rider not wearing a helmet... That argument is dumb... especially coming from a rider.. who is taking extra risks just by riding a bike vs driving in a car.
Unless someone lives a totally healthy lifestyle and does everything possible to eliminate all risk from their lives... They can't use "my tax dollars" as an argument.

Last edited:
A bit of a hijack but what I can't figure is that US States that don't mandate helmets do mandate seat belts in cars.

dont try and figure it out. Living in AZ, no helmet required, seatbelts are, yes to a distracted driving law, open carry firearms on your motorcycle, you can put a plate on any 4 wheeler/ quad with lights regardless of tires (nobody cares about DOT) . Little made sense. I liked it a lot.

dont try and figure it out. Living in AZ, no helmet required, seatbelts are, yes to a distracted driving law, open carry firearms on your motorcycle, you can put a plate on any 4 wheeler/ quad with lights regardless of tires (nobody cares about DOT) . Little made sense. I liked it a lot.
Freedom?

AZ beer prices are $0.75/can (CAD), state income tax max eff. 3.4%, motorcycle insurance on 5 motorcycles: $99/year min coverage, $660 for similar to Ontario coverage.

I think more bald men should accessorize with turbans instead of baseball caps or toques. .

Hang on a minute... You may be on to something there.

One thing I will give Sikhism credit for is not being afraid to "pop" when it comes to the colour of their head gear... AFAIK you can go with pretty much any colour you like... I've seen the basic white and black, but man... Some Sikhs go with very bright and cheerful hues. Orange, yellow... Purple. etc.
I suppose one could argue that a brightly coloured, highly visible turban does offer a level of safety perhaps not the same as a standard helmet, but just as valuable.

Hang on a minute... You may be on to something there.

One thing I will give Sikhism credit for is not being afraid to "pop" when it comes to the colour of their head gear... AFAIK you can go with pretty much any colour you like... I've seen the basic white and black, but man... Some Sikhs go with very bright and cheerful hues. Orange, yellow... Purple. etc.
I suppose one could argue that a brightly coloured, highly visible turban does offer a level of safety perhaps not the same as a standard helmet, but just as valuable.

Who knows in the absence of testing; kevlar or carbon fibre head wrap might even make a turban much closer to bullet proof then a conventional open face brain bucket.

I think safety should be above religious. Well just hope the insurance doesn’t cost them an arm and a leg.

Buddy keep your safety to yourself, let me live my life, I dont need you or the government to tell me whats good for me.

Buddy keep your safety to yourself, let me live my life, I dont need you or the government to tell me whats good for me.

Actually, I think someone does need to tell you what is good for you. Your mother comes to mind.

I just don't understand why someone rides without a helmet

The amount of debris and wind hitting the face is enough of a deterrent for me

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

yes....have ridden many times in helmet free states
never once felt the desire for freedom, or whatever they call it
to take the lid off

in recent times only ever ride once sans helmet
in the DR, as the rental helmet had an eco-system in it
rode 250 km up the coast and back
although the scenery and weather were beautiful
the naked melon part was not very enjoyable

You don't have to understand it. You don't have to do it. Just leave them alone.

My only thought is that it should be a choice for all, not just one group based on religion.
It won't change my mind on wearing my helmet. I've done it once before in the US, wound up putting it back on relatively quickly. Now that I've seen so many YouTube vids of bike crashes, I really am more comfortable wearing good gear.
But you do you and I'll do me.

Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk

News flash, OHIP currently, does NOT cover you if you suffer a brain injury, as a result of a collision even if your wearing a helmet. I was just at the Concussion clinic last week. They are FINALLY, 2 years post collision getting around to addressing my concussion and head injury. I was informed that OHIP would cover the diagnosis, BUT would NOT cover ANY of the required treatments, (Physio, OT, Psychologist, etc etc etc). Next step is a specialized brain scan to determine if it is a "traumatic brain injury. Insurance position is there is no proof of a concussion despite the diagnosis being right in the admission report to hospital.

So if they split their head open it shouldn't affect our taxes. BUT, having said that, I believe it should be a level playing field for all. If your religious convictions prevent a helmet, then you don't get to ride.

This. Part of me thinks there should almost be a system in place that by forgoing a helmet, OHIP doesn't cover them for brain/head trauma from a motorcycle accident. Given that likely won't be the case, hopefully insurance ends up charging them extra for this (as in, increase accident benefit costs) so both OHIP doesn't bear the cost, nor us riders who actually wear helmets.

Back
Top Bottom