Helmet Exemption Coming for Sikh Motorcyclists in Ontario | Page 4 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Helmet Exemption Coming for Sikh Motorcyclists in Ontario

News flash, OHIP currently, does NOT cover you if you suffer a brain injury, as a result of a collision even if your wearing a helmet. I was just at the Concussion clinic last week. They are FINALLY, 2 years post collision getting around to addressing my concussion and head injury. I was informed that OHIP would cover the diagnosis, BUT would NOT cover ANY of the required treatments, (Physio, OT, Psychologist, etc etc etc). Next step is a specialized brain scan to determine if it is a "traumatic brain injury. Insurance position is there is no proof of a concussion despite the diagnosis being right in the admission report to hospital.

So if they split their head open it shouldn't affect our taxes. BUT, having said that, I believe it should be a level playing field for all. If your religious convictions prevent a helmet, then you don't get to ride.
Interesting. Didn't know that.

I think I mentioned this on another thread about the same topic, anyone can buy and wear those readymade turbans and ride without a helmet, if this law goes through.

Cops are going to have a field day enforcing this, if it becomes reality.

Last edited:
News flash, OHIP currently, does NOT cover you if you suffer a brain injury, as a result of a collision even if your wearing a helmet. I was just at the Concussion clinic last week. They are FINALLY, 2 years post collision getting around to addressing my concussion and head injury. I was informed that OHIP would cover the diagnosis, BUT would NOT cover ANY of the required treatments, (Physio, OT, Psychologist, etc etc etc). Next step is a specialized brain scan to determine if it is a "traumatic brain injury. Insurance position is there is no proof of a concussion despite the diagnosis being right in the admission report to hospital.

So if they split their head open it shouldn't affect our taxes. BUT, having said that, I believe it should be a level playing field for all. If your religious convictions prevent a helmet, then you don't get to ride.

Interesting I didn't know that actually. I know thinks work like a series of buckets so to speak, where either insurance pays first then OHIP second (or the other way around, can't remember), but I didn't know OHIP didn't cover that part at all.

A friend I raced with when I was a member of Westwood wore a Patka under his helmet. It’s a small piece of cloth that looks a little like a doo rag... No offence to any Sikh’s. He said it fulfillled all the tenants of his religion and still allowed him to be protected.

Thanks for this...I knew there was something that allowed them both to meet religious obligations as well as still wear a helmet, but I couldn't remember the name.

Dudes, we're missing the bigger picture here. Go-pro mounts for turbans? "Getback" kirpans? There are opportunities waiting for the savvy businessman here. Plus, if Sikh rider groups can badger the government into helmet exemptions, we should ask for their organizational help in badgering Dougy for lower insurance rates.

My experiences were different. No helmet, bicycle, coma (look, maybe I'm more stupid than some of you when you were younger, get over it!) All expenses paid for by our med care minus the ambulance lift.

Heck, they even paid for the helicopter lift....but I was unconscious and have no memory of it.

Bicycles don't require licensing, insurance or helmets. With no real legal framework (or incentive due to low numbers) to craft "GOTCHA!" clauses, OHIP probably treats cyclists as pedestrians for coverage purposes. I'd guess rollerbladers, skateboarders, unicyclists, etc. share the same protections too.

I'm with the remove the helmet law's and let people make their own decisions camp, maybe just mandate helmets on the 400 series roads. Riding without a helmet is only nice at slow speed like up to 60-70km/h anyway. 80km - 100km open shell feels good. Above 100km/h full face 100%. This is strictly from comfort and riding pleasure. Its quite nice to ride 2 up at slow speed and be able to chat because neither of you are wearing helmets. I am in a part of the world right now where there are helmet law's but they are seldom enforced and rarely followed. Its actually very nice to live in places where nanny state law's are not enforced.

油井緋色;2588813 said:
My experiences were different. No helmet, bicycle, coma (look, maybe I'm more stupid than some of you when you were younger, get over it!) All expenses paid for by our med care minus the ambulance lift.

Heck, they even paid for the helicopter lift....but I was unconscious and have no memory of it.

He definitely phrased it wrong. OHIP doesn't cover physio or therapy, that's true. But that applies for everything. If you have a brain injury that requires things that fall under OHIP scope, you will obviously be covered (ER visit, surgery, etc). It's not that they exclude brain injuries, it's that they exclude what they exclude.

He definitely phrased it wrong. OHIP doesn't cover physio or therapy, that's true. But that applies for everything. If you have a brain injury that requires things that fall under OHIP scope, you will obviously be covered (ER visit, surgery, etc). It's not that they exclude brain injuries, it's that they exclude what they exclude.

Thanks for the clarification. I've had to pay for physio and other therapies as you mentioned.

It is, however, quite easy for those keen enough to find reliable sources for physio techniques for free provided the user knows what injury they need to work on. Now if they need actual equipment......well that's a different ball game.

Whats next....exemption from paying taxes because of religious belief ????
The law is the law...bend it for one...then bend it for all...better still just tell them all to **** off.

The law is the law...bend it for one...then bend it for all...better still just tell them all to **** off.
Isnt it how it is down in the states for some churches?

1. Our governments so dumb and biased towards minority groups
2. If you choose to not wear a helmet on a motorcycle because of your "religion" and die or get hurt, I don't feel bad for you at all and no one else does either

I feel bad for them, however I feel bad for anyone that participates in organized religion.

"that OHIP would cover the diagnosis, BUT would NOT cover ANY of the required treatments, (Physio, OT, Psychologist, etc etc etc)."

Brain physiotherapy <-
never heard of it.
Occupational Therapy <- they are going to teach you how to work around a brain injury, neat trick.
Psychologist <- oh good, at least you will have somebody to talk to about it.

Please do continue the list instead of inserting "etc. etc. etc." which implies there are more 'treatments' available for an acquired brain injury because last time I checked it is not a particularly serviceable part.

"Next step is a specialized brain scan to determine if it is a "traumatic brain injury."
A brain scan IS a Diagnostic procedure.

Pretty close. Churches, synagogues, temples and mosques enjoy exemptions from property taxes in Canada, up to a point. They have to be in active use, I think or they lose the protection (no closing the place and holding on to it untaxed). It's a holdover from earlier times when governments didn't offer much in the way of social services, IIRC. Talk to some older people (80+) and it becomes clear that churches were an important social hub.

1. Our governments so dumb and biased towards minority groups
2. If you choose to not wear a helmet on a motorcycle because of your "religion" and die or get hurt, I don't feel bad for you at all and no one else does either

I'm not sure that you're speaking accurately for me on this
might be a few more

Back
Top Bottom