Rear Axle Bolt Seized | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Rear Axle Bolt Seized

Happens quite often on new TRS trials bikes.The factory used a very high quality chain on them and they don't require adjustments.The fix is to take the nut off when new,apply anti seize to the axle threads (not recommended for you) and retorque.

interesting tid bit on the trials bikes. im wondering why you don't recommend anti seize on the street bike axle/nut?

interesting tid bit on the trials bikes. im wondering why you don't recommend anti seize on the street bike axle/nut?

Simply put.You don't want a streetbike axle coming loose on you at any time.Dry torque is what is specified in the owners manuals.A trials bikes wheels are usually off and on many times during the season.I never even bother with a torque wrench.Most of the manufacturers of trials bikes have gone to extremes to reduce weight.Alloy axles and nuts are common.

Thanks for the great advice all.

The torque specs are high from the factory and when I put everything back together I will use less torque. New parts are ordered but will take 2 weeks to arrive so that's the part that sucks.

To remove the bolt, I had to drill it from all sides. Then on the other side, I drilled through the chain puller and put a drill bit in it to stop the axle from spinning.

I'm going to order an aftermarket chain adjuster to hopefully avoid future issues.

IMG_0552.jpg
IMG_0553.jpg

Thanks for the great advice all.

The torque specs are high from the factory and when I put everything back together I will use less torque. New parts are ordered but will take 2 weeks to arrive so that's the part that sucks.

To remove the bolt, I had to drill it from all sides. Then on the other side, I drilled through the chain puller and put a drill bit in it to stop the axle from spinning.

I'm going to order an aftermarket chain adjuster to hopefully avoid future issues.

I haven't used a torque wrench on my FZ09 when changing wheels, i apply a little bit of old fashioned wheel bearing grease on the axle.

yep, Titanium alloyed with a tiny bit of aluminum and vanadium,
uber light, strong, resistant to corrosion and expensive as !@#$
that's why we pay the big bucks, 145 pound motorcycles with crazy power and no seat but go anywhere.

The biggest wrenches that a minder has to carry for their rider are the wrenches to tighten the rear axle, crank it on there singing tight and the chain slack adjusters don't need to carry any of the stress.

I haven't used a torque wrench on my FZ09 when changing wheels, i apply a little bit of old fashioned wheel bearing grease on the axle.

Really not a good idea unless you backoff the torque value by a bunch (see your wet/dry torque spec sheets) and safety wire the fasteners.

note: MV Agusta, Ducati and similar bikes that have combined needle bearing/thrust roller bearing rear hubs, absolutely must be torqued to spec, over-tightening the pinch bolts can crush the bearing assembly and totally destroy the hub.

Don't use power washers to clean them either!
image1.jpg

... To remove the bolt, I had to drill it from all sides. Then on the other side, I drilled through the chain puller and put a drill bit in it to stop the axle from spinning.

View attachment 39520
View attachment 39521

Just curious :/ why wouldn't you just put a left hand thread inside that big hole in the axle?
or use a big fat easy-out bolt extractor

Simply put.You don't want a streetbike axle coming loose on you at any time.Dry torque is what is specified in the owners manuals.A trials bikes wheels are usually off and on many times during the season.I never even bother with a torque wrench.Most of the manufacturers of trials bikes have gone to extremes to reduce weight.Alloy axles and nuts are common.

Yes.

No

Really not a good idea unless you backoff the torque value by a bunch (see your wet/dry torque spec sheets) and safety wire the fasteners.

Yes

Yep, I trust my feel over a princess auto torque wrench any day of the week.

No.

Always torque axles and axle nuts to the manufacturer recommended specification. They spend hundreds of hours designing and testing, it's not for fun. If the manufacturer recommends grease, thread locker or otherwise, it will be called for in the service manual. If not specified, threads need to be clean and dry. The manufacturer has made the axles including choosing the materials that both sides of the threads are made from, they know the torque required to put the correct tension on the fastening system. It's not chance or by accident. Even the cheapest torque wrench is better than feel. Millions of dollars of research and development, over many years, should not be over-ruled by how we feel on the internet...

Back
Top Bottom