Ktm superduke 1290R opinions... | GTAMotorcycle.com

Ktm superduke 1290R opinions...

Most powerful street naked available, torque in any gear any rpm.

Lots of room so very comfortable.

If you`re into tech id spring for the '17 as it was updated (TFT Screen, etc)

KTM Warranty is complete garbagio, not sure how that effects you given the year you`re looking at.

Very expensive, similar performance could likely be had for less $ (S1000r, FZ10, CB1000R, Tuono 1100 V4).

On a personal note - as my FZ09 is likely being written off i've been looking into the GSXS-1000F. The F is key here as they made an almost fully faired version of their naked (GSXS-1000). It has the k5 GSXR Motor (05-08 ), custom frame, GSXR last gen swing arm. All the reviews are glowing, it will pull on an FZ10 and it happens to be one of the cheapest nakeds available.

gsx-s1000fal5_av4_r.jpg

Last edited:
Well I have my bike on kijiji and someone contacted me with a trade proposal so that's why I posted up...

"Torque monster" best describes it. Not that I've ridden one, but saw lots of reviews on YouTube.

Some moto vloggers who quit riding SS, switched to the Superduke and couldn't be happier.

Most powerful street naked available, torque in any gear any rpm.

Lots of room so very comfortable.

If you`re into tech id spring for the '17 as it was updated (TFT Screen, etc)

KTM Warranty is complete garbagio, not sure how that effects you given the year you`re looking at.

Very expensive, similar performance could likely be had for less $ (S1000r, FZ10, CB1000R, Tuono 1100 V4).

On a personal note - as my FZ09 is likely being written off i've been looking into the GSXS-1000F. The F is key here as they made an almost fully faired version of their naked (GSXS-1000). It has the k5 GSXR Motor (05-08 ), custom frame, GSXR last gen swing arm. All the reviews are glowing, it will pull on an FZ10 and it happens to be one of the cheapest nakeds available.

View attachment 39511
GSXS1kF looks fantastic. Hope you'll be out and about riding soon

GSXS1kF looks fantastic. Hope you'll be out and about riding soon

Thanks man, this season is likely done. If you see me i'll be on 4 wheels :)

Would service and maintenance be something that I should really worry about with the ktm? There are no dealers even close to me in windsor.

Would service and maintenance be something that I should really worry about with the ktm? There are no dealers even close to me in windsor.

Certainly a possibility with a Euro model. Maybe hunt around for the service schedule (valve checks, etc), spend some time on the super duke forums and try to nail down any re-occurring issues.

As i said the factory warranty is freakin terrible, covers the engine, frame and one other thing (not electronics!) to me that's pretty scary.

I have to travel nearly 2h with my KTM for dealer service. My bike was first model year and I had a couple of warranty issues. It’s only been to the dealer maybe 3 times since I had it for those though. You can get most everything else done locally unless you need a software upgrade for any tech as KTM makes those through a proprietary system. Very happy with my KTM which has the retuned super duke engine in it. It’s a great motor.

From what I hear the super duke is the ultimate hooligan bike...depends what floats your boat. If you’re looking for upright ergos don’t discount the newer adv bikes from KTM as there’s an S version with cast wheels that’s plenty fast with more suspension travel options. It’s perfectly capable of off-road stuff too (with limitations).

My 2012 KTM 990SMT has fairly long "major" service intervals so I expect the newer ones are better still. I enjoy a bit of maintenance wrenching so fluids, filters, wear parts and minor mechanical or mods are done here at home.

Personally, proximity to a dealer is important to me and is a major contributor to my purchase decision. If there's no dealers of any kind relatively close by then that would influence my choices too.

My super adventure is 9000km between oil changes and I’m doing my next ones at home.

Service from new can be pricey on the LC8 engines. Pricing on the OEM spark plugs is $300 for instance as there are two different sets used and one is reasonably uncommon. You can save a lot of money by sourcing things like these yourself though (Poland apparently) so don’t let that put you off.

Heres what you get with the KTM:

1. A relatively uncommon bike with a ton of power.
2. Pretty reliable (mine hasn’t been a pain and it was first model year)
3. Large service intervals

Downsides:

1. Smaller dealer network
2. Some parts may need shipping from Austria/Europe but Ive never had to wait too long. Longest was a fork cartridge from Holland at 2 weeks but that wasn’t shipping, just a recall and shortage of parts.

I like the fit and finish of my KTM. I like the way it’s put together. I may have to take off a ton of panels to get to things but it’s easy and reasonably logical compared to the rubics cube bikes I’ve had before.

For the newer bikes check the forums, there have been a few problems with the tft screens and keyless ignition. Good news is that dealers are aware and you can get all upgrades done before purchase.

Edit: KTM North America has actually been very good to me. I’ve had them pay for fork seals when one was weeping at low kms and they gave me a brand new set of tires to see if that would sort out a wheel balance issue.

had one for a cpl years, put 10k on it, other than 1 warranty issue at the very beginning it was trouble free, maintenance i do myself so not really a big deal unless its a software update or something which i havnt needed.
its a really fun bike to ride and even tho it has no windscreen it has really good wind deflection (for a naked bike) thanks to how the way the tank is shaped.
Most i've done on it was maybe 700ish km day rides so cant really comment on touring abilities, the TC works really well and it helps with limiting wheelies.

Last edited:
They feel like riding a big supermoto.

As for the dealer network thing, you're coming from an MV. Can't be any worse than that.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

Didn't work out. The guy was looking for an mv with a quickshifter.

All good it was just an option I needed to explore.

Didn't work out. The guy was looking for an mv with a quickshifter.

All good it was just an option I needed to explore.
mine has a quick shifter :/ can't imagine that feature being a deal breaker.
:rolleyes: ... as if he was going to race it ! did he race the KTM?

... the TC works really well and it helps with limiting wheelies.
Is like Rum, I never touch the stuff,
besides
:D wheelies save lives.

Yeah not sure really. He asked about the QS in his original email and I said no to which he said he needed it so he couldn't make the deal. I told him I never prioritized a QS as I never planned on racing the bike...

All good I'm sure someone else will come along. I'm not in a hurry as I still ride the bike I just cant take long trips on it. I might just look for a track bike and a random bike to putt around on with the wife...

You can get a steal of a deal on an older GoldWing and nothing beats a wing for pillion comfort :|

I'd be keeping the MV for fun
;) then all you need is a Trials bike to straighten out yer bones
& you could tow that on the wing
:cool:

... some wheelies will be required

Back
Top Bottom