Stripped screw removal | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Stripped screw removal

Glad you got it out. :thumbup:

I tried to drill it out but the drill won’t go in. Not even a screw extractor will

What did you mean "the drill won't go in"?

A hole must first be drilled into the stuck fastener, then the extractor will have enough purchase to remove.

I've had great success over the years with this type of extractor:

099198899770.jpg

Glad you got it out. :thumbup:

What did you mean "the drill won't go in"?

A hole must first be drilled into the stuck fastener, then the extractor will have enough purchase to remove.

I've had great success over the years with this type of extractor:

099198899770.jpg

What I mean is. I think as some one mentioned the screw is stainless steel. The drill bits that were supplied with the kit would not drill into it. So I could not even really go in there with the actual retractor part.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Glad it's out. For future reference an impact driver will often free a screw when even pressure won't. I had the same problem on my Sportster but the screw was a flat head into a polished case. A Dremel cut a slot with a curved bottom so I ground a curve into the screwdriver for a better grip.

Glad it is out, personally my go to method for this is to weld a nut on to the head and use a wrench...not everyone has a welder though.

What's with all this Dremel tool stuff, doesn't anybody own a hacksaw any more ?:I
... and oops what happened to the sheet metal :/ looks like you slightly mangled it.

A full size hacksaw is awkward for something like this. I have a mini hacksaw for bolts that works great (similar to pic below), but I'd probably do most of the work here with a dremel. It's easy to tip the hacksaw and catch the plate the bolt goes through (although as you noticed, it looks like the OP placed a grenade in the muffler to attempt to break the bolt so that wouldn't matter here).

prod-spearandjackson_70675r_mini_saw_small.JPG

Even less people have a welder and the ability to weld to stainless. If you can do it, this is probably the most fool-proof method with the least chance of damaging the surrounding parts.

In this case nothing special is required because we don't care if the bolt rusts afterwards...or that the weld is certifiably strong... Plain MIG wire and gas or even FCAW with mild wire would likely get it done.

What's with all this Dremel tool stuff, doesn't anybody own a hacksaw any more ?:I
... and oops what happened to the sheet metal :/ looks like you slightly mangled it.

Stainless can be really hard to cut like that (and drill). Dremel or die grinder with a cut off disk will be a lot easier, and lots of people have Dremels...

Back
Top Bottom