Stripped screw removal | GTAMotorcycle.com

Stripped screw removal

Shwarider

This screw is on my exhaust cap totally stripped. Any tip on removing?

bd867fa993eeccfb3967995fee2b2f8c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vise grips or pliers should be able to just turn it out.

I would start out by trying to hammer in a slightly larger hex socket and see if it will grab. If that fails, I would try hammering in a torx bit. They are almost hex shaped, but they have sharp corners that can dig in and grip a stripped hex key bolt nicely.

Last resort I would take a cut off wheel and cut a straight slot across the head of the bolt that you can grab with a large screwdriver. Once it's been slotted, heat up the head of the bolt as hot as you can get it and it will probably spin out with minimal effort.

I would start out by trying to hammer in a slightly larger hex socket and see if it will grab. If that fails, I would try hammering in a torx bit. They are almost hex shaped, but they have sharp corners that can dig in and grip a stripped hex key bolt nicely.

Last resort I would take a cut off wheel and cut a straight slot across the head of the bolt that you can grab with a large screwdriver. Once it's been slotted, heat up the head of the bolt as hot as you can get it and it will probably spin out with minimal effort.

Tried a larger hex and torx no luck

I tried to hammer slots but no luck either

Last edited:
If anyone lives I Oshawa wants to help me out. I would appreciate it. In pretty much stuck. I tried to drill it out but the drill won’t go in. Not even a screw extractor will

Dremel, or hacksaw to create a slot and use a flathead screwdriver.

Or grind the top and bottom flat so you can get some vice grips or channel locks on it.

This would be my next step as well.

OP, per drilling it out, are you using a sharp enough bit? Start with a small bit, and work your way up. Use wd-40 as a cutting lubricant as you go.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

That’s the exact set I have and tried .. it will not thread into this screw

I just tried again.

well i personally would not buy that one was just the first one i found on google haha

I just tried again.

Uhmmmmmmm
That's not how they work.

I would:
Use a dremel to grind a slot across the head.
Apply a shitton of heat.
Use an impact driver to loosen it. ken5737080k.jpg

I just tried again.

A proper extractor should have 2 sides, one should be used to drill into the head to create a smooth hole. Then you flip the bit around and it will bite into the hole you made and start pulling it out.

[video=youtube;QK32YsQNss8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QK32YsQNss8[/video]

You could drill into the bolt with a left hand drill bit. If it still doesn't come out, use the extractor. You may have to tap it lightly with a hammer to get it to bite well

Maybe this extractor I have is not good. I am doing exact same thing in that video and no luck.

probably a stainless steel fastener.I have been down this road a few times.Buy 6 1/4" hardened drill bits and some thick cutting fluid or use engine oil.The bits will work but they wont last so you will go through a few and the bits arnt cheap. Failing that a disk grinder controlled very well to grind off the entire head of the screw which will allow you to remove the end cover.It looks like a stock exhaust and you have removed the end cap and now want to remove the unseen cap underneath.I`m wondering why you want to remove that part? Going to try and mod a stock exhaust?

Got it out

Using the dreamel I cut slots in to it and then screwed jt out. I have no idea why the extractor did not work

Thank you to everyone that chimed in and helped me out

probably a stainless steel fastener.I have been down this road a few times.Buy 6 1/4" hardened drill bits and some thick cutting fluid or use engine oil.The bits will work but they wont last so you will go through a few and the bits arnt cheap. Failing that a disk grinder controlled very well to grind off the entire head of the screw which will allow you to remove the end cover.It looks like a stock exhaust and you have removed the end cap and now want to remove the unseen cap underneath.I`m wondering why you want to remove that part? Going to try and mod a stock exhaust?

It is stainless steel and tough as nails. It’s out finally

I am putting the tst industries tail light in but just realized they did not include the exhaust lowering link. So now i have to wait more :)

Got it out

Using the dreamel I cut slots in to it and then screwed jt out. I have no idea why the extractor did not work

extractors need some depth of insertion to get a good bite
the female hex on those screws is pretty shallow

Got it out

I've never had much luck with that style screw extractor myself. You won't find them in many professional toolboxes, mine included.

Back
Top Bottom