Vehicles come up beside you on highway? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Vehicles come up beside you on highway?

D-J

Site Supporter
Has this happened to anyone? Yesterday, incredibly, two head-scratching moments in the same day. First instance: I was riding in the center lane hwy 427 going southbound, going with the flow of traffic, minding my own business and a car comes speeding up really fast behind me getting just inches away from my bike --splitting the lane and attempting to pass aggressively. Second instance: going westbound on Gardiner, again going with the traffic, in the left-hand lane (right tire track blocking position) and a minivan comes up behind tailgating.

I really don't know what to make of this. Toronto drivers seem to be getting more and more aggressive.

Sent from my SGH-M919V using GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app

In the cage last week had a semi turn left in front of me, then hours later a bus did the same thing.
Both cases I had to slam on the brakes.
As drivers should be more observant, I'm finding them becoming more oblivious.
Add that to the me first attitude, and it results in that whether you are a rider or a driver, you really need to be on the defensive at all times.

Sent from my purple G4 using Tapatalk

I really don't know what to make of this. Toronto drivers seem to be getting more and more aggressive.
I have to agree, I feel like this year is the worst ever. Drivers seem more angry and aggressive than usual. I'm putting it down to increased traffic flow problems, mostly stemming from construction?

Has happened to me at some point every year pretty much. The worst offender was southbound on the DVP approaching bloor... in a bend. I was in proper blocking position for the fast lane (right portion of lane). To the left of me was a 1 foot wide shoulder (non existent) and a concrete barrier. I was leaning to the left in this bend with a car in the lane to the right of me when a massive beige suburban squeezes between me and the concrete barrier to pass. Literally had nowhere to go being squeezed between two cars (inches on both sides of me while in a lean). Approached the guy afterwards and he was gesturing how sorry he was, had absolutely no idea how he almost killed me. That was about 6 years ago and I'll never forget it. People drive like absolute idiots.

427 and the Gardiner

could there be 2 worse GTA roads?

I much prefer the 427 and Gardiner over the DVP.

I have to agree, I feel like this year is the worst ever. Drivers seem more angry and aggressive than usual. I'm putting it down to increased traffic flow problems, mostly stemming from construction?

It's a cycle. It's the reason why the first snow fall that sticks to the ground leads to many, many pile-ups.

Last edited:
just as bad here too. The ones i shake my head at... on hwy. heavy traffic but moving. I keep safe follow distance from car in front. (2 second rule)
i am going just as fast as car in front, not holding anyone up. But these idiots that were behind me seem to get mad and go around me just so they can follow car in front
2 feet from the bumper. Some how i am holding up traffic, even tho the idiot is ahead of me for miles and we all still going the same speed.

It is best not to get caught up in the nonsense on the road. Just keep a cool head and let the idiots do themselves in. I know at times this hard to do.

Sent from the moon!

I ride the 401 between Mississauga and Scarborough every day. This happens at least once a week, maybe more. Blocking position is meant to help riders be safer and more visible, but quite a few drivers take advantage of the extra lane space and view it as a way to speed by you.
The solution is to go faster than everyone else.
:)

Pull up your panties op...up to speed or faster you won't get passed...me I love playing frogger in rush hour cops cant follow...bye bye

Totally agree with the above comments (except Megamaniac!?) ... I will say that if you hug the tire track too close to the line that some morons will think that's a sign to pass them in that remaining space. Personally, I stay between the centre and the tire track.

Has happened to me at some point every year pretty much. The worst offender was southbound on the DVP approaching bloor... in a bend. I was in proper blocking position for the fast lane (right portion of lane). To the left of me was a 1 foot wide shoulder (non existent) and a concrete barrier. I was leaning to the left in this bend with a car in the lane to the right of me when a massive beige suburban squeezes between me and the concrete barrier to pass. Literally had nowhere to go being squeezed between two cars (inches on both sides of me while in a lean). Approached the guy afterwards and he was gesturing how sorry he was, had absolutely no idea how he almost killed me. That was about 6 years ago and I'll never forget it. People drive like absolute idiots.
What an incredible story. It's amazing, the suburban you describe "squeezing" between you and the left-hand barrier with a car immediately to your right.

In my case (both instances I mentioned) there were no other cars in close proximity, so I was able to quickly accelerate away from the vehicle and create some distance -- but having nowhere to go... very scary. I can understand why the details are still fresh in your head 6 years on.

Don't get me started :| the stories I could tell. Was in 1971 when I first discovered that car drivers wanted to end me just because I was riding a motorcycle and the key to survival is to out ride them all, Toronto is actually much better now with impaired driving being so much less prevalent then it once was, ymmv.

... if you hug the tire track too close to the line that some morons will think that's a sign to pass them in that remaining space.

Yes. I think many drivers, astonishingly, will interpret the remaining lane space as sufficient space and an open invitation to pass you.

It was a long time ago when I did my g test and training, but I don't recall very much mention about how to share the road with motorcycles and bikes. I wonder if this has changed. Not trying to excuse them, but I wonder if some of them really don't know? I don't know if I was ever taught it, I just always gave bikes space.

Sent from my purple G4 using Tapatalk

not to sound anti-immigrant, but I'm gonna sound anti-immigrant
many GTA drivers from other places are accustomed to not respecting bikes of any kind as legitimate vehicles
and like Joe says, the testing regime here does little to change that
the MTO e-billboards, and the OPP mouthpiece on the news are not enough to change this

Just put these on your wheels...

boudicca-shutterstock_12671113.jpg

Yes. I think many drivers, astonishingly, will interpret the remaining lane space as sufficient space and an open invitation to pass you.

To be honest, I think the whole motorcycle training course needs to be re-vamped to account for modern realities (inattentive drivers, lanes getting narrower) ... especially the riding in the tire track. I remember them saying it's the "blocking position" ... I generally see it as the "easiest to get side-swiped position".

And what's with the centre of the lane being "the bog" full of oil and whatnot!? Please! I have yet to see any oil on any lane I've ridden ... again, need to account for modern realities (car's don't drip oil any more like they once did).

Like I said in the above post, ride in the position BETWEEN the tire track and the centre ... IF it's the least dangerous position.

I routinely see riders approaching a hill in the left tire track. Why? Learned my lesson when a pickup truck nearly took me out hugging the yellow centre line coming from the other side. I now move over towards the other side approaching a hill.

What they teach us is not the safest and riders are dying following that out-dated set of rules written god knows how many years ago before cell phones and the general lack of common sense that's sadly just too prevalent these days by drivers.

Just put these on your wheels...

boudicca-shutterstock_12671113.jpg

A couple of years back, returning from Tobermory, there was this guy riding a cruiser with similar spikes attached to the axles. There was a lot of chrome on that bike. Rode slow and tried to stop people from passing by putting his hand out, which naturally didn't work.

OP, keep your wits about you! Encountered a Class 5 loser on the road yesterday. Driver was applying mascara (could see that tiny brush), attending to child and driving. In that order. Stayed far back and cut down another road instead.

Back
Top Bottom