Sad Day ... Stolen 2011 ZX6R ... :( | GTAMotorcycle.com

Sad Day ... Stolen 2011 ZX6R ... :(

gobu

Hi everyone,

It's a very sad day for me today.

My 2011 ZX6R has been stolen from my condominium parking lot.

It was there this early morning when I left for work with my car, around 7:30 am, and when I returned back from work this afternoon, it was gone.

I have already informed the insurance and filed a report with the police.

I know the chances of recovering the bike is very low. But if the members of this forum can keep an eye out, it would be appreciated it.

Herewith, I will be attaching a photo of the bike. It is pretty much stock with the exception of an M4 Slip-On, Integrated Tail Lights, and LED headlights (both).

Please let me know if there is anything else I can do to better my situation. This feeling sucks.

Thanks.

bike.jpg

That rots :| thieves suck.

To better your situation - perhaps insurance will give you more than the bike is worth and you can get a different bike. Insurance gave me $8k for a V-Strom that was 6 years old and had 90k on it. I bought a current model of my bike for that same price! Maybe you will be so fortunate.

For your next bike, you could buy something fun, with just the right hint of ugly. Let the other nice bikes get stolen.

I used to park my ugly bike with my keys in the ignition beside a pretty Kawi green litre supersport. It got stolen and mine didn't. Condo's are tough.

If you must buy a nice bike again, put a piece of duct tape on the seat - it's a very effective anti-theft device.

Good luck.

To better your situation - perhaps insurance will give you more than the bike is worth and you can get a different bike. Insurance gave me $8k for a V-Strom that was 6 years old and had 90k on it. I bought a current model of my bike for that same price! Maybe you will be so fortunate.

For your next bike, you could buy something fun, with just the right hint of ugly. Let the other nice bikes get stolen.

I used to park my ugly bike with my keys in the ignition beside a pretty Kawi green litre supersport. It got stolen and mine didn't. Condo's are tough.

If you must buy a nice bike again, put a piece of duct tape on the seat - it's a very effective anti-theft device.

Good luck.

Thanks Shanekingsley!

It's really sad because I grew into this bike, and it is something that I had since 2011 (7 years). Just remembering memories of all the rides, locations, places that I went riding with. I am hoping for the best that the bike can be recovered, the money from the insurance will help, but it is not the same. When something is stolen from you, it makes you angry / upset and sad. Sigh ...

motorcycle thieves & condominiums really go hand in hand lol

Hi JollyGreenGiant,

I am going to speak with the condo's management to recommend installing cameras that can cover wide angle areas of every parking lot locations. It might be cost prohibitive, but everyone pays the condo fees!

I doubt that I'll get far. But still worth a shot.

I'll ask them to review and save a copy of the video footage on the entrance and exit gates to determine if a SUV, Mini-Van came thru to pull this stunt off.

@gobu, you can try but it is a very very long shot, I know the system.

A better way, though not fully PROOF, is to park your bike in a proper house garage, just my 2 cents.

Sorry about your loss. Another option is to install a concrete chain anchor into the floor of the parking garage inconspicuously next to one of the pillars of your parking spot or if you park your bike up against the wall behind your car, put one there. That way you can chain the front wheel to the anchor. Its better to ask for forgiveness than permission when it comes to dealing with condo management. Two little holes and a steel loop isn't gonna hurt anyone.

71iwroCo6ZL._SX425_.jpg

You mean someone stole your v-strom? How? Where? :O

Good luck.
@gobu, sorry to hear about your bike. Hope it works out for you.

@shanekingsley, curious .. did your insurance premium go up after the claim, even though you were not at fault ?

Hi JollyGreenGiant,

I am going to speak with the condo's management to recommend installing cameras that can cover wide angle areas of every parking lot locations. It might be cost prohibitive, but everyone pays the condo fees!

I'll ask them to review and save a copy of the video footage on the entrance and exit gates to determine if a SUV, Mini-Van came thru to pull this stunt off.

Sorry to hear about your bike Gobu. Cameras don't seem to help much for theft. Most of the time they just give you a video of your bike being loaded into the back of a stolen minivan. Insurance really is your best bet for a condo, everything else costs money but potentially does nothing. Theres always the running joke about a Hyosung bike cover, it may be worth a shot.

One more note. Many people lose two bikes. The thieves take your old bike and then come back in a month or two for your new bike. That is the most depressing.

Hi JollyGreenGiant,

Try and get yourself onto the condo board, if this important enough for you. Might have a better chance of trying to get this done.

Sorry for your loss!

BTW I just saw a post on Facebook with a very similar instance. It was a Aprilla MC. All caught on video, took the guys 2 minutes to put the bike into a Astro van. They did it late in the afternoon (4:30 ish) before the victim got home.

Last edited:
Sorry about your loss. Another option is to install a concrete chain anchor into the floor of the parking garage inconspicuously next to one of the pillars of your parking spot or if you park your bike up against the wall behind your car, put one there. That way you can chain the front wheel to the anchor. Its better to ask for forgiveness than permission when it comes to dealing with condo management. Two little holes and a steel loop isn't gonna hurt anyone.

View attachment 39509
Exactly what I did. Borrowed (or you can rent) a concrete drill, get a eyelet bolt from home depot and 3/8"chain with a heavy duty lock and you're set. If they can't steal it in 3 minutes, it's usually enough of a deterant.

@shanekingsley, curious .. did your insurance premium go up after the claim, even though you were not at fault ?
Mine wasn't stolen - I totaled my bike and was completely at fault. My insurance went up, but only by about $400 for 3 years on average.

Get a less than 5K bike if you live in condo. That is the sad truth I discovered after my last 2 theft incidents :(

Very sorry to hear that. Can you tell us what if any theft deterrents were in place?

Thanks for your thoughts.

Unfortunately, I didn't have any theft deterrents systems installed on the bike. Others have now recommended concrete pillars chain locks and so on forth, which I will be considering going forward.

Back
Top Bottom