The Home Reno Thread | Page 5 | GTAMotorcycle.com

The Home Reno Thread

FWIW I used to repair heated floors. On one job, not that old, the tiles at the bottom of the stairs were worn. They were the simulated wood type and the "Grain" was worn off. Flooring is rated by usage, light residential to commercial. There are trade off between cost, style durability.

Its hard to understand why tile ranges from .69cents a sq ft to $20.00+ , but to a large extent you get what you pay for

Well we decided to go with all wood and just use a rug to protect the entrance.
Thanks!

Also picked out a nice faucet and sink to go with the nice slab of wood.
Looking forward to it!

Its hard to understand why tile ranges from .69cents a sq ft to $20.00+ , but to a large extent you get what you pay for

The wood pattern tiles at my bank have been in a couple of years now and look like new. The right stuff works. Don't skimp on the adhesive quality either unless you like delamination.

I'd only try that if all of he trades were superstars. Any screwups and that will look horrendous. I'd say put the tile first and then cut in the wood, but that makes fixing any height problems hard. If you put wood first and then the tile, getting the gap perfect would be a miracle.

My wood was in first (years before the tile) but if you have someone who knows what they're doing, it's very doable. Just takes patience and some skill. My transition from kitchen to dining area turned out very well. Smooth as a baby's bottom in terms of being level (floor to tiles) and the gap between floor and tiles is very close to the tile grout line width.

24p9dow.jpg

b8vdb4.jpg

6 weeks later bump!
Lot's of changes to the ever evolving project.

Currently looking for a side door entry door to the house and thinking about the ones that have blinds built in. Anyone here have these or have any experience with them?

I'm thinking it might be a real pain if the blinds mechanism breaks when it's integrated between the panes of glass. We are thinking about getting a Ruscan door, but it's closer to $1700, while Home Depot sells ones for $600US, which we'd have to go and pick up.
Something like this, but in black:
da52e1a8-d3c6-4074-805c-cee060f22806_400_compressed.jpg

6 weeks later bump!
Lot's of changes to the ever evolving project.

Currently looking for a side door entry door to the house and thinking about the ones that have blinds built in. Anyone here have these or have any experience with them?

I'm thinking it might be a real pain if the blinds mechanism breaks when it's integrated between the panes of glass. We are thinking about getting a Ruscan door, but it's closer to $1700, while Home Depot sells ones for $600US, which we'd have to go and pick up.
Something like this, but in black:
da52e1a8-d3c6-4074-805c-cee060f22806_400_compressed.jpg

That's what my daughter has and in black. Not sure what brand but it wasn't cheap. She usually does a lot of research so assume they aren't problematic. I can ask if I remember, been one of those days.

I know a few people that have them and love them (and they were not at all cheap). IIRC, one had issues requiring repair, but they still love it.

Our new house comes with one, hopefully it holds up. It looks like worst case you could just replace the glazing with a conventional glass pack.

We done bought our house with these doors/blinds on the main level and upstairs patio and they're amazing. No issues so far and I assume they're about 7 years old.

We have a set of double doors from the kitchen to the backyard. The mechanism is used multiple times a day with no issues.
They came with the house so not sure exact age, but we’ve been here for 10 yrs.

978c6317a9bf553b366333140985256a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks.
On side note, the place we moved into downtown had cockroaches, so we had to move out. Stayed in 6 different places in 6 weeks and finally found a decent AirBnB a couple minutes walk from our home.
Project was originally going to be around 10-12 weeks but now closer to 16 because of extra stuff added on.

that's a level of stress that's unfortunate

We have three big full renos going on our street right now, one family is attempting to live in the property. cant imagine it.

met new nieghbor that full reno'd , I just casually mentioned that looked like a serious workload when the third 20yard n=bin showed up, he did three baths, basement, new kitchen, moved two walls, windows , roof furnace electrical, all floor coverings then new trim and doors. He got a deal on the house $835K since nothing had been done since '82 , then put 260K into it. his reasoning was the house they liked was 1,100 , so this was on par, excatly what they wanted with a real back yard and parking for 4 cars in the drive which did not come with the 1,100 house. Still yikes .

That's pretty much what we are doing to our place, except now with full exterior makeover as well.

A house a few doors down recently sold for well over $800k that was all original 1976. Tons of maintenance items to do before even getting to the aesthetics.

I'm stoked to see how the new bathroom is going to turn out! Will post pics of the vanity:)

we just finished engineered hardwood on the entire top floor, the worst was moving the furniture from room to room to allow clear space. The dudes that had installed the prior carpeting either owned shares in a staple factory or trained in Beirut. 27 to the foot. But the floor is down, all trim and door replaced and the stairs are about to get retreaded, and wife says, that seemed easy........ sure you went away for a week and I did 88 hrs of work......it does look nice

that's a level of stress that's unfortunate

We have three big full renos going on our street right now, one family is attempting to live in the property. cant imagine it.

met new nieghbor that full reno'd , I just casually mentioned that looked like a serious workload when the third 20yard n=bin showed up, he did three baths, basement, new kitchen, moved two walls, windows , roof furnace electrical, all floor coverings then new trim and doors. He got a deal on the house $835K since nothing had been done since '82 , then put 260K into it. his reasoning was the house they liked was 1,100 , so this was on par, excatly what they wanted with a real back yard and parking for 4 cars in the drive which did not come with the 1,100 house. Still yikes .

Bungalow across street from me sold last month within 3 days of listing.

Went up for 699, and sold for just over 800.

The interior is all from the 60's - 70's...

The new owners are currently doing a full gut and remodel.
Most likely going to have to replace the roof as well.

The market in my area is still insane!

Bungalow across street from me sold last month within 3 days of listing.

Went up for 699, and sold for just over 800.

The interior is all from the 60's - 70's...

The new owners are currently doing a full gut and remodel.
Most likely going to have to replace the roof as well.

Scarberia has tons of big property sizes with tons of parks and properties that back onto green space. Perfect for tear downs!

The market in aurora sucks. Glad to see it's still burning somewhere. The reno's we did likely resulted in no change to the sale price. Last year it would have sold for 25% more in days.

How do those style of faucets emit water? I have always liked them, but wasn't sure if they would be finicky and cause splashing once the water hits the sink. Trying to avoid unnecessary water on the wood vanity top.

That style seems to emit the water as any other one...out the end. And neither splash more.. think its all about style preference.

That style seems to emit the water as any other one...out the end. And neither splash more.. think its all about style preference.

Strangely enough, the place we are renting now has one and the one thing I don't like about them is that the water droplets sit in the spout for a long time after turning them off. I think the water here might be hard and so it leaves marks all the time, even a day after cleaning it. I guess if your water isn't hard it wouldn't be an issue.

Looks nice though and the water flow even on full blast stays in the sink with no splashing out.

yeah, when they don't do the actual work, they have no idea how much it actually took.
Although it is much easier when they are not around.

Sent from my purple G4 using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom