The Home Reno Thread | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

The Home Reno Thread

Right now I take the 403/401 from Winston Churchill to Brimley Rd every day. The only curves I see involve changing lanes.
Riding the DVP at 6am should be much nicer.

We thought about trying to buy a different house and looked at a few. Turns out it would be much less costly to do some reno's to this one than buy a house already reno'd with stuff we probably wouldn't have chosen for ourselves anyways. After it's all done, if w sold the house right away, we'll still be out ahead, so might as well make our home the place we want it to be. The only thing we are missing is a 2car garage, but that's the only thing we are compromising on. I'm also looking forward to taking the DVP each morning to work!

12 weeks now - added a few things to the wish list. We are planning for an extra 2 weeks for unexpected stuff, and hopefully won't be too much there, because the house is all original and only 40 yrs old. They do have a good sized team. Designers, electricians, plumbers and carpenters all in house and they get good pricing on materials from a bunch of local stores too. Most importantly is that they are easy going and friendly to work with. https://atdcontractors.com/

Looks like you found a good company to work with .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Any suggestions on a place to get a nice finished piece of wood as a bathroom sink counter top? Ideally west end.
Live edge or not.
About 36" wide by 24" deep.
And a place that sells nice vessel sinks too?

Or maybe even full vanities that are not run of the mill stuff? Already been to Home Depot, Lowes, Rona, Ciot and Taps and haven't found anything even remotely interesting.

Last edited:
Any suggestions on a place to get a nice finished piece of wood as a bathroom sink counter top? Ideally west end.
Live edge or not.
About 36" wide by 24" deep.
And a place that sells nice vessel sinks too?

Or maybe even full vanities that are not run of the mill stuff? Already been to Home Depot, Lowes, Rona, Ciot and Taps and haven't found anything even remotely interesting.

how about a pc 39"x39" 2" thick spalted silver maple, live edge, planed flat, you finish it. trade for 6pk of hieneken. There is a 15" x 10ft + , 2" thick shelf that can go with it, thats a 24 of hien'y

how about a pc 39"x39" 2" thick spalted silver maple, live edge, planed flat, you finish it. trade for 6pk of hieneken. There is a 15" x 10ft + , 2" thick shelf that can go with it, thats a 24 of hien'y

I call dibs if the offer isn't accepted here.

Try sawmillsid.ca.
They're located behind the Small Arms Building on the south side of Lakeshore at Dixie.

Lowes has bamboo (unfinished) for not much money. Making a vanity top with vessel sink out of it now. Will post pics when done. You may have trouble finding a store that sells finished tops as you need to finish them (or at the very least should) after drilling holes for the drain and faucet.
That said go with crankcall. So much better.

Edit:
Almost done, obviously walls still need paint.

Last edited:
Thank you sir - this will make our bathroom look pretty sweet!

You guys are wasting so much money. I would rather have money in the bank and an outdated kitchen and bathroom than the other way around. I bought my house 3 years ago and the only renovations I've done so far have been free or nearly free.

But what if I already have enough money?
What good is money if I don't spend it?

We're planning on living in this house for 10-20 years, so we might as well enjoy it!

Lowes has bamboo (unfinished) for not much money. Making a vanity top with vessel sink out of it now. Will post pics when done. You may have trouble finding a store that sells finished tops as you need to finish them (or at the very least should) after drilling holes for the drain and faucet.
That said go with crankcall. So much better.

Edit:
Almost done, obviously walls still need paint.
How do those style of faucets emit water? I have always liked them, but wasn't sure if they would be finicky and cause splashing once the water hits the sink. Trying to avoid unnecessary water on the wood vanity top.

How do those style of faucets emit water? I have always liked them, but wasn't sure if they would be finicky and cause splashing once the water hits the sink. Trying to avoid unnecessary water on the wood vanity top.

I set the faucet close to the basin and turned down the water pressure so at full blast it doesn't splash out. With full water pressure, it shoots you in the nuts.

Right now I take the 403/401 from Winston Churchill to Brimley Rd every day. The only curves I see involve changing lanes.
Riding the DVP at 6am should be much nicer.

Not by much.

I typically do a quick Google Map to work before heading out each morning, and at 6AM, DVP flows pretty well aside from the 401/DVP interchange. ~15-20 mins to the Spadina exit at that time. Traffic starts piling up at around 7-7:30AM.

You guys are wasting so much money. I would rather have money in the bank and an outdated kitchen and bathroom than the other way around. I bought my house 3 years ago and the only renovations I've done so far have been free or nearly free.

*Shrugs* I'd rather have money in the bank and a small(er) engine motorcycle that can do it's job and get me places rather than a SuperSport that would cost me thousands more but look pretty.

Different people, different priorities.

Last edited:
I'm more of a function before form type as well. Fancy bathrooms etc. are nice but taking care of them takes time and to build them cost $$. Both of which I can use somewhere else. Hell, I have a flip phone. I can talk to people and even get texts. Have computers around me, so don't need one in my pocket.

GG's sink/vanity does look nice and shouldn't need much to keep clean.

Comes a point in time the greens gotta go...
vintage-Sea-Green-bathroom-fixtures.jpg

Hey that looks as awesome the bathroom we are removing, except ours has plastic sea shells as trim around the mirror and the sink bowl is one large shell. And our floor tiles are peachy pink!

Back
Top Bottom