The Home Reno Thread | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

The Home Reno Thread

Just remember when renovating/ remodeling , your quirky chic is another's WTF? Someday you may have to sell and chandaliers in bedrooms and train sets running through cat doors isn't for everybody.
There is a reason some designers get on TV, and you don't. Its not your haircut.

Currently house shopping, and I completely agree with this.

Seen some places that make us ask... "Why...?". Same can be said for cheap fixes.

This would probably explain why many of the houses have "newly renovated" spaces.

Be careful with spar varnish. It's made to not dry hard so it can withstand the shock of cold water on a sun baked mast or deck without cracking. It's also UV resistant which you don't really need inside. It also smells boaty forever. Depends on whether you want the marine air.

Almost everything is low VOC now which means water based. I don't like the flow out rate on large surfaces. Could be OK if you spray. Or try epoxy. It doesn't withstand UV but if it's inside should work.

Good point....a perfect example of why I leave most things to the experts.

http://www.mackenziefireplaces.com/ Concord (Rutherford/Westburne)
We got a really good deal on a 40" Amantii electric fireplace -
Thanks. We were also looking at a 40" and just now decided to go with 60". That Mackenzie place carries good products, but what is up with that website?
I would go check it out, but we are also looking for a place in the west end - preferably between Mississauga and Burlington

We have about a week to figure out the bathroom vanity thing and fireplace. And a week after to start moving two floors of house into the basement.

Keep in mind, some ugly renos can be easily fixed and with not much money. Many buyers don't want to go through that trouble. You can use this to your advantage during negotiations. And the fact that some people won't even make offers on those homes.

Seen some places that make us ask... "Why...?". Same can be said for cheap fixes.

This would probably explain why many of the houses have "newly renovated" spaces.

Sent from my purple G4 using Tapatalk

Places that were renovated to flip scare me. They turn into money pits when they have to be redone.

Basement waterproofing has to be the worst. There's only one way to do it and it's expensive.

Keep in mind, some ugly renos can be easily fixed and with not much money. Many buyers don't want to go through that trouble. You can use this to your advantage during negotiations. And the fact that some people won't even make offers on those homes.

That's a good point. Also depends on whether the buyer has the time to deal with it.
One of the houses I saw had floor molding laid flat on the ground to fill the gap in height between tiled rooms on the ground floor (and that was just the start). I definitely don't have time to redo the whole place.

Exploring the East end and West end for the past couple months gave me a much better idea of what to look for and expect. There are many grossly overpriced places in comparison to others in the same price range.

Places that were renovated to flip scare me. They turn into money pits when they have to be redone.

Basement waterproofing has to be the worst. There's only one way to do it and it's expensive.

It does make me think about what was wrong with the house previously especially when the kitchen is re-done for example, but the rooms beside it look like it's falling apart.

Not familiar with basement waterproofing. I guess I really should look that up.

Last edited:
Not familiar with basement waterproofing. I guess I really should look that up.

I'm seeing older homes getting waterproofed from the inside because doing it outside is expensive, $200 per foot or more. Access is also a problem outside with narrow lots, decks etc.

The not so good solution is to use the waterproofing inside, the brown bubble stuff. One brand is labeled "Not for interior use" and the other one I looked at gave me the same answer when I called their tech line. I also know a couple of waterproofing contractors that do commercial work and they basically agree saying waterproofing the inside is like putting a tire patch on the outside of the tire.

The bottom line is money and also few people will pay for what they can't see. Do you want a proper job or a new car?

Last edited:
I'm getting to the point where I'm not that interested in gutting kitchens and baths, but the Scot in me cringes at the costs of hiring it out. I have gone to the expense of bringing in a professional color lady, she looks at the furniture and flooring and picks wall colors for me.

I also hire a designer to help with some projects and sourcing fixtures and surfaces. They have access to suppliers and vendors that are 'trade only' . You can find some beautiful stuff that's just beyond a Lowes selection. Yes its not the cheapest route, but the WOW factor is worth it.

@Plau because they were watching a reno show and heard that "kitchens and bathrooms sell houses" so they redid the kitchen. Thinking that the rest of the neglected house will somehow be overlooked.
To clarify my earlier post: I am not saying to be okay with shoddy renos, but rather bad design choices....ugly vanity, outdated wallpaper, insane colour choices. These are all easy fixes that can save you loads of money because other buyers can't see past that.
My bedroom is sunflower yellow and my kitchen used to be fiesta orange (my choices) and were picked because I love them and think they reflect my personality. (my wife has since had the kitchen repainted to a shade of green -blech!) But if and when the time comes to sell, the entire house will be repainted in shades of beige, or similar neutral colours.

Sorry for the thread hijack.

Last edited:
I'm getting to the point where I'm not that interested in gutting kitchens and baths, but the Scot in me cringes at the costs of hiring it out. I have gone to the expense of bringing in a professional color lady, she looks at the furniture and flooring and picks wall colors for me.

I also hire a designer to help with some projects and sourcing fixtures and surfaces. They have access to suppliers and vendors that are 'trade only' . You can find some beautiful stuff that's just beyond a Lowes selection. Yes its not the cheapest route, but the WOW factor is worth it.

This^^^. After a complete gut of our new house and going through the hours of selecting paint, rug, hardwood, and worst of all fixtures, we will definitely be going with a decorator next time.

But if and when the time comes to sell, the entire house will be repainted in shades of beige, or similar neutral colours.

Grey is the new hot color. In the process of repainting my entire house shades of grey. Blech.

"When painting the front door, paint the back as well so that the Kendall Charcoal is in the front hallway, it's dramatic and will add so much character to the front entrance."

In the middle of a reno for a buddy right now....it always takes longer than they think and more stuff needs to be done as you dig into it.

Good point. They said it should take around 10 weeks. Our rental place is good for 12 weeks. We are going to request that the upstairs is done first, so that if there is a delay, at least we can move back in to the house and sleep in our bedroom.

Chose a fireplace this weekend - it's a Dynasty. Looks like this insert, but with different stone, etc:
DY-BT55_1000.jpg

Unless you know the contractor very well have a backup plan for the 10 week promise. I could relate a few stories and if your other half is the calm organized type you may see her evil twin emerge.

Unless you know the contractor very well have a backup plan for the 10 week promise. I could relate a few stories and if your other half is the calm organized type you may see her evil twin emerge.

I this a full gut and rebuild or a polish and improve? 10 weeks is not much time.

We are getting ready for sale so we are replacing bathroom floors and vanities, retrimming bathrooms and main floor, painting entire house and other miscellaneous stuff and three weeks is going to be a push.

1st floor is pretty close to a full rebuild I'd say. Removing load bearing walls to open it all up, removing attic to peak a ceiling, adding in a 16ft wall of glass on the back side of the house and swapping the kitchen / dining rooms around. Also removing all the flooring and putting in hardwood and installing a door from house to garage and building a new main closet and main floor bathroom.

We were referred to this contractor by a childhood friend and we liked their house reno and they also moved out for a few months. Theirs was on time and on budget, with a similar house and similar scope of work.

All that said, the thing I'm most looking forward to is moving to Dufferin & Bloor and eating roti for 3 months.

we all have such different lives, your looking forward to Dufferin and Bloor, I'd loose sleep.

Its so good to hear stories of on time/ on budget. I'm putting counter tops ( 2 1/4" thick maple live edge slabs) in a laundry room in downtown T.O. ( not my usual thing, helping friend) . The house cost 1.2mil , they put 2.4 mil into the reno and addition, its 4 months late (so far) and 400K over. Yes its very nice, not 3.6 nice.

All that in 10 weeks? Must have a big crew.

I did some after construction work on one such project. Apparently it was a beehive during a fast addition. Lots of problems later. But the Jehovah's Witnesses can start a hall Friday and have Sunday service in the place. so????

we all have such different lives, your looking forward to Dufferin and Bloor, I'd loose sleep.

Its so good to hear stories of on time/ on budget. I'm putting counter tops ( 2 1/4" thick maple live edge slabs) in a laundry room in downtown T.O. ( not my usual thing, helping friend) . The house cost 1.2mil , they put 2.4 mil into the reno and addition, its 4 months late (so far) and 400K over. Yes its very nice, not 3.6 nice.
We thought about trying to buy a different house and looked at a few. Turns out it would be much less costly to do some reno's to this one than buy a house already reno'd with stuff we probably wouldn't have chosen for ourselves anyways. After it's all done, if w sold the house right away, we'll still be out ahead, so might as well make our home the place we want it to be. The only thing we are missing is a 2car garage, but that's the only thing we are compromising on. I'm also looking forward to taking the DVP each morning to work!

All that in 10 weeks? Must have a big crew.
12 weeks now - added a few things to the wish list. We are planning for an extra 2 weeks for unexpected stuff, and hopefully won't be too much there, because the house is all original and only 40 yrs old. They do have a good sized team. Designers, electricians, plumbers and carpenters all in house and they get good pricing on materials from a bunch of local stores too. Most importantly is that they are easy going and friendly to work with. https://atdcontractors.com/

Back
Top Bottom