The Home Reno Thread | Page 7 | GTAMotorcycle.com

The Home Reno Thread

we put a door from the house into the garage the second summer we were here, and cut a 5ft dining room window out for a second door to the backyard. Both have been outstanding improvements
We just cut a our 5' dining room window out to have a second exit to the back yard -- it's awesome except for one thing -- birds see straight through the house and keep flying into new glass door.

We just cut a our 5' dining room window out to have a second exit to the back yard -- it's awesome except for one thing -- birds see straight through the house and keep flying into new glass door.

Do you know how to make silhouettes of birds of prey?

We really like our backyard, so we decided to remove our old sliding doors and have 16' of windows and sliding doors instead. It's going to get really bright in the house!

Do you know how to make silhouettes of birds of prey?
Tried that - doesn't work. I've tried big plastic owls, hawks and even a really big cat -- doesn't stop them. The old window had blinds, and a screen -- I think the birds saw this. The door is clear and a lot bigger. Closing the front drapes helps the birds however it makes the house dark. Right now I have Christmas lights around the window, that seems to stop them -- maybe it's gonna be Christmas all year in my backyard.

Fortunately the birds usually shake it off and fly away.

I had the same problem with my large reflective solarium windows. I purchased these window see through stickers that only birds can see. Now I don't have any more birds smashing into the windows. They come in a few patterns, are see through. So far they have lasted 3 years. You only need to place a few spread out. They work really well.

I got the from a company called windowalert.

I had the same problem with my large reflective solarium windows. I purchased these window see through stickers that only birds can see. Now I don't have any more birds smashing into the windows. They come in a few patterns, are see through. So far they have lasted 3 years. You only need to place a few spread out. They work really well.

I got the from a company called windowalert.
Gonna try that next summer - thanks.

Where do you get our staircase pickets/balusters from? I need 44 to do my staircase. Wood pickets are already included in the price of the new staircase from our contractor, so metal/iron ones are extra cost if we want them.

I really want something along the idea of the pic below, because I like the feather detail, but locally they are running at around $70/each from A1 Railings in Etobicoke. I found some places in the states who sell them for $11/each, but do not ship to Canada. I do not have the time or desire to ship them to Buffalo and pick them up.

I see that Ideal Stairs in Scarberia is just around the corner from where I work... that said, where do you get your pickets from?

Split-Arrows---2997.png

Where do you get our staircase pickets/balusters from? I need 44 to do my staircase. Wood pickets are already included in the price of the new staircase from our contractor, so metal/iron ones are extra cost if we want them.

I really want something along the idea of the pic below, because I like the feather detail, but locally they are running at around $70/each from A1 Railings in Etobicoke. I found some places in the states who sell them for $11/each, but do not ship to Canada. I do not have the time or desire to ship them to Buffalo and pick them up.

I see that Ideal Stairs in Scarberia is just around the corner from where I work... that said, where do you get your pickets from?

Split-Arrows---2997.png
Ship to crossborder pickups and pick up in Mississauga.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

There are a couple of riders in the wrought iron business, Mike Feiner comes to mind.
... that's some serious forged in fire stuff you have going on there :I that don't look cheap.

Be careful with your spacing if you use those pickets. They look cool, but it would be easy to have a gap that fails code (if you care about that).

I am amazed that they are available for $11. I guess they are cast pot metal?

Thanks. I'll try out the crossborder pickups - that seems perfect.
As for picket spacing - we are doing everything to code, so yes, the pickets will be spaced properly.

There were other sites selling for $18each, and some as low as $7each. Didn't know about cast pot metal - thanks for pointing that out. Any cause for concern with cast pot metal for something like staircase pickets as opposed to using iron?

Thanks. I'll try out the crossborder pickups - that seems perfect.
As for picket spacing - we are doing everything to code, so yes, the pickets will be spaced properly.

There were other sites selling for $18each, and some as low as $7each. Didn't know about cast pot metal - thanks for pointing that out. Any cause for concern with cast pot metal for something like staircase pickets as opposed to using iron?

I am just guessing about material. The price just seems cheap for a refined metal.

At 11 bucks each and having that fairly complex shape I would half expect them to be made out of polyester resin.

its a 99.78% chance they are a offshore product at $11 and in China recycled 'casting metal' would be much cheaper than polyester resin.

I lean toward long term love in the portion of design build projects that are hard and expensive to change. Light fixtures and paint, furnishings go ahead and pick on trend. Ceramic floors and expansive millwork i'd pick something a bit timeless.
There is a trend afoot since its a billion dollar business to constantly be renovating and changing , HGTV is their church.

its a 99.78% chance they are a offshore product at $11 and in China recycled 'casting metal' would be much cheaper than polyester resin.

I lean toward long term love in the portion of design build projects that are hard and expensive to change. Light fixtures and paint, furnishings go ahead and pick on trend. Ceramic floors and expansive millwork i'd pick something a bit timeless.
There is a trend afoot since its a billion dollar business to constantly be renovating and changing , HGTV is their church.
We went to A1 Railings to see all that they had to offer. Out of the 200 or so styles they had, these feather ones were the only ones I liked, because I felt they were a little timeless and not some trend of the day. The sales guy told me they would be harder to get because they aren't that common. So if I'm going to get metal ones, then I only want these iron feather ones - otherwise I'll just get one of the more common and basic wood pickets.

Another place in the states just replied to say they would ship at an all in cost of $50 each to my door. Their price starts at $19US per piece.

On another note, new windows just went in and what a difference!

Last edited:
On a somewhat related note, has anyone tried making a live-edge dining table and have any tips (either single slab or joined)? Looking at trying to make a 3x8ft dark stained table.

On a somewhat related note, has anyone tried making a live-edge dining table and have any tips (either single slab or joined)? Looking at trying to make a 3x8ft dark stained table.

I've seen the slabs at the local mills and one piece slabs aren't cheap, especially in the more desirable woods.

My concern with a one piece top is warping which is easier to control with jointing. My jury is still out on the style thing. Is it a fad? Your house, your call.

I've dabbled in the slab business, . If you source a slab from anybody its the drying that is critical, and that's also what makes them expensive. Air drying takes over 1 yr per inch, kiln drying will take 60+days in a kiln, thats expensive as heck but it needs to be done slowly or the cells collapse and you get cracks.
Properly dried, they surface them after drying so they can machine the warp/twist out of them. The machine that flattens them is also not cheap.

Its pretty simple to make a slab table, the guys doing it like to maintain a mistique, but you take a big slab, sand it and install legs. Always finish BOTH sides of the slab with the same stain and top coat, you need to maintain a balance in the slab.

Make a trip to Century Lumber Mill in Stouffville (Between McCowan and Kennedy at 3993 Stouffville Side Rd). They have an inventory of slabs, they also have workshop that will dress an finish slabs.

The staff are helpful with all things woodworking.

Back
Top Bottom