The Home Reno Thread | Page 4 | GTAMotorcycle.com

The Home Reno Thread

Just think, someday they will say that about what's trendy today.

3 solid weeks in and the bathroom I'm rebuilding is at the sand and prime stage. From gutted to the studs and rafters.

Went to talk to https://atdcontractors.com/ yesterday. Heather wants a kitchen reno. Getting a quote next week. Thanks for the info. I'm expecting $20 K plus more if they find nasty surprises like we did in the front hall. Trying to instal new bifold closet door and 9x9 asbestos tiles ?? under the carpet glued to the hardwood. Unfortinutly previouse owners carpeted the kitchen to. Second pic is 10 minutes latter. Was going to leave it and get it check but non of the tiles had any glue left. Just the carpet was holding them down. Used a mask and gloves no scraper required put them in a garbage bag.

2WpbZ1z.gif

PzgoPGk.gif

Nice! I hope that they can help you out. They have been very good to deal with, which for me is worth something in itself.
We had an enviro assessment done and there was asbestos in our drywall. Before the demo could be done it had to be removed, which was done yesterday.
Had a roti last night, so all is good in the world.

Mostly home Reno shows talking about the tile size and age of home. Also the home inspection talked about the same colour size tiles in the basement being asbestos. They are under linoleum flooring. Makes me a little nervous about the plaster walls and stippling in the ceiling.

Hell, I have a flip phone. I can talk to people and even get texts.

Doesn't send texts very well though! Lol

Sent from my purple G4 using Tapatalk

My wife keeps talking about: redo bathrooms, new appliances, etc etc. The appliances still work, so eff that. The bathroom is fine, so nope.
The wood parquet flooring is starting to lift and lose it's coating. Will probably replace with engineered flooring within a few years.
Do it when it needs it.
Spend the rest of the money on ice cream.
(of course this is mho based on my house being less than 20 years old and us owning it since new. If I was moving into an older resale, I'd do whatever I liked to reno.)

Now about that roti....

Questions about main entrance hallways...

We are getting hardwood on the main floor - it's hand scraped, so it has a slightly distressed look. My preference is to put a nicer tile down in the main hallway as was there when we moved in, but then we changed our minds to a tile inlay in the hardwood - like this concept but very different look:

estate-drive-tile-inlay-modern-entry-edmonton-by-entry-floor-tile-designs-s-52e5ebbfca5f56e7.jpg

Concerned that during the winter, things like salt, slush getting on entrance area wood will cause it to get trashed and not sure if just putting rugs or winter mats will be enough.

Here's a pic of the main entrance just before we moved in 5ys ago which is kind of narrow. Since the main interior wall is being removed, the whole floor will be open concept, so getting any tile to flow nicely with the hardwood is also on our minds. Thoughts?
main%20hallway%202-XL.jpg

Neighbours have had a tile mosaic inlay in their entrance. Only had a good thick rug outside that really cleaned off the shoes, and then a small shoe rack inside. Seems to be fine 20 years later.
That being said; more often than not they would enter through the mudroom and she was a semi-SAHM so it was cleaned often.
I can't see too much damage being done to the inlay...I'd be more concerned with protecting the wood.
Unless I misread and your concern is at the part where they meet.

Edit: missed the key "wood" part.
I see you take your shoes off. Imho I would not be worried with a bigger winter mat and a lipped boot tray. That being said, I've only had full tile entryways.

Last edited:
Questions about main entrance hallways...

We are getting hardwood on the main floor - it's hand scraped, so it has a slightly distressed look. My preference is to put a nicer tile down in the main hallway as was there when we moved in, but then we changed our minds to a tile inlay in the hardwood - like this concept but very different look:

estate-drive-tile-inlay-modern-entry-edmonton-by-entry-floor-tile-designs-s-52e5ebbfca5f56e7.jpg

Concerned that during the winter, things like salt, slush getting on entrance area wood will cause it to get trashed and not sure if just putting rugs or winter mats will be enough.

Here's a pic of the main entrance just before we moved in 5ys ago which is kind of narrow. Since the main interior wall is being removed, the whole floor will be open concept, so getting any tile to flow nicely with the hardwood is also on our minds. Thoughts?
main%20hallway%202-XL.jpg

I would avoid the strip of wood at the door threshold. That puts a vulnerable material at literally the most abused spot in the entire house. Personally I wouldnt bother with the wood picture frame. Tile an area near the front door and transition to wood wherever makes sense (likely where the old wall was). Shoes and most grime stays on the tile.

As an alternative as I hate how cold tile feels and dont want to heat it, the "luxury vinyl tile" click stuff has come a long way. It wont last as long as real tile but it's simple and not tragically expensive to replace. I would expect more than 5 years out of it and then a 1 evening mini Reno gives you a new floor with an updated look.

Thanks and yes we take our shoes off and always have entrance mats and/or boot mats. The concern is about overall damage to the wood over time if it is used at the entrance, either in a tile inlay, or as full hardwood throughout. The more I look at the inlay, the less I like it and would lean to either full wood or full tile.

In reading up about it, it seems that it won't be an issue if we use mats, but I've only ever had tile at the entrance - so do all my friends houses, so this is why I'm not sure how resilient hardwood is.

Going to look at tile today just to get a sense of what's what.

On getting the tile to flow nicely through the house, how bout something like this?

RxwG8cV.png

I’ve always found this kinda neat and would like to do it to my house one day if I ever got the chance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On getting the tile to flow nicely through the house, how bout something like this?

RxwG8cV.png

I’ve always found this kinda neat and would like to do it to my house one day if I ever got the chance

I'd only try that if all of he trades were superstars. Any screwups and that will look horrendous. I'd say put the tile first and then cut in the wood, but that makes fixing any height problems hard. If you put wood first and then the tile, getting the gap perfect would be a miracle.

Pretty sure that floor is tile and tile that looks like wood. Take a look at the grout lines. You wouldn’t have that with hardwood floors.

Do tiles come that long? The "wood" ones.

I might do a section of my kitchen with tile. Has wood all over the place now.

My 2 cents , if you decide to put 36" to 72" tile down, have a real tile setter do it or be really careful to get the adhesive mud layer really level, you can get 'bridging' really easy with the long tiles.

A winter rug on top of hardwood means you can change it out and change the look annually if you want, tile is pretty permanent. I have a rug inside the back door on hardwood where we come in from BBQ and hot tub all yr. Its been fine for years, ( 4 rugs in 10yrs)

FWIW I used to repair heated floors. On one job, not that old, the tiles at the bottom of the stairs were worn. They were the simulated wood type and the "Grain" was worn off. Flooring is rated by usage, light residential to commercial. There are trade off between cost, style durability.

Back
Top Bottom