The Home Reno Thread | GTAMotorcycle.com

The Home Reno Thread

shanekingsley

Curry - so nice it burns you twice
Site Supporter
Might as well keep it all together instead of asking separate stuff. I figure folks on here must do some interesting stuff.

One member here gave a great suggestion to go with Superior Hardwood flooring and after looking at lots of different brands, we are going with it.

Now looking for interesting bathroom vanities. Originally we were looking for a petrified wood vessel sink, but haven't found much we like. We were suggested to look at Native Trails which make some nice vanities, but thought I would ask here if anyone has suggestions on nicer pieces.

We are going to have this in our smaller main floor bath which is a 2pc. Vanity can only be 36" wide max.

Thoughts?

How handy are you Shane? My brother found a thrift shop cupboard/ oversized nightstand thing. He cut openings in the doors, mounted wire mesh, cut off the top and added a one piece sink/counter.
I'll ask for a pic.

Sent from my purple G4 using Tapatalk

What to go with is difficult especially if it's going to be pricey. If you tire of it quickly it hurts to dump an expensive theme room.

One also has to consider the contrast from room to room. I saw a gorgeous bathroom renovation in a house that hadn't otherwise had a touch of work in fifty years. It was like going through a time warp when you went into the loo.

My late brother un-did some renovations on a house to make it less peculiar.

High quality kitchen cupboards.........school bus yellow.

Living room floor was skid plate but I liked the bronze alligator emerging from the adjacent ceramics.

A high ceiling in the dining room was achieved by cutting an eight foot square hole in an upstairs bedroom floor. Ships railing installed for safety.

Main four piece bath was so over-stuffed the toilet had to be relocated to the adjacent closet. Toilet was wall hung, walls painted gloss red and lighting was via a chandelier. Not for the claustrophobic.

Exterior windows were shaped like the suits of a deck of cards. Hearts, diamonds etc.

Exterior paint was lime green, extra bright.

Just a few things you and the Mrs. may not have considered.

You did ask for suggestions.

XhaQhui.jpg

haha I thought you were describing a strip joint.

Sent from the moon!

Mrs FLSTC has a fetish for the Ikea Godmorgen vanities. Double drawers and can be installed 'floating'.

Here's the one I installed in our basement bathroom.

m6y69sG.png

Also did a wider one in the main floor bath - different color but similar sink, albeit with space on the sides. I'll try to find a photo.

Our master ensuite is currently demolished. Most likely will end up with a similar Ikea vanity, this time with double sinks.

Joe - I'm pretty handy, but I would rather spend my time on other things. This is just part of a larger reno and one of the final things we need to sort out for the contractor.

Thanks for the tips Nobbie - That house is something else!

I haven't been in Ikea for anything we are doing actually - I hate shopping to start with and that place sucks the life out of me for some reason. I have friends who have their full kitchens from Ikea and they like them very much. We recently redid our two other bathrooms and after looking at a lot of different places, we chose two different vanities from Lowes and Home Depot. They are also simple and slightly boring. For this bathroom we want to do something a little more interesting, but not red wall kind of interesting.

I've seen the transformation that my friends houses have gone through from their reno's and am looking forward to it, because until this year, everything was all original from 1976!

There’s a Mexican store in Bloomfield near Picton in prince Edward county that sells imported Mexican stuff including, bizarrely, these amazing hand painted Mexican sink units. They are pretty cheap too. Really colourful though so if you were thinking of something understated and muted this wouldn’t be it.

They are like these https://www.etsy.com/ca/listing/624...JwtDsLV3_WZHDDsjbjfQ0lpAGg3z3XNgaAsIcEALw_wcB

Do you know the name of the shop

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Joe - I'm pretty handy, but I would rather spend my time on other things. This is just part of a larger reno and one of the final things we need to sort out for the contractor.

Thanks for the tips Nobbie - That house is something else!

I haven't been in Ikea for anything we are doing actually - I hate shopping to start with and that place sucks the life out of me for some reason. I have friends who have their full kitchens from Ikea and they like them very much. We recently redid our two other bathrooms and after looking at a lot of different places, we chose two different vanities from Lowes and Home Depot. They are also simple and slightly boring. For this bathroom we want to do something a little more interesting, but not red wall kind of interesting.

I've seen the transformation that my friends houses have gone through from their reno's and am looking forward to it, because until this year, everything was all original from 1976!

The thing I hate the most about IKEA is having to circumnavigate the whole store when you just want to pick up one item. It's deliberate marketing.

If you like the IKEA concept but don't want to look like an IKEA sheep there is a place that professionally paints the doors other colours. You get all the IKEA nifty gadgets but the kitchen doesn't scream IKEA. Shopping elsewhere for door hardware can make a difference as well.

The thing I hate the most about IKEA is having to circumnavigate the whole store when you just want to pick up one item. It's deliberate marketing.

If you like the IKEA concept but don't want to look like an IKEA sheep there is a place that professionally paints the doors other colours. You get all the IKEA nifty gadgets but the kitchen doesn't scream IKEA. Shopping elsewhere for door hardware can make a difference as well.
I don't like the IKEA walkabout either.
Some friends of ours used a place that specializes in IKEA installs and detailing, for much less than the cost of custom cabinetry and their kitchen looks quite nice.

Any suggestions on electric fireplaces? Right now we are thinking of Modern Flames: https://www.modernflames.com/

JC100: I like that Mexican stuff and I think my wife will too! Reminds me of some of the bright and beautiful colours I've seen in the markets in the middle east.

I dunno how people deal with IKEA stuff. It stinks, literally, like sawdust and glue. I had to return a table top desk I bought because it reeked and was causing some allergic reactions. (dust allergy). I have office drawers and it still stinks when I open them, luckily I don't use it often. Can't imagine storing my cooking utensils and whatnot in their kitchen cabinets etc.

I don't like the IKEA walkabout either.
Some friends of ours used a place that specializes in IKEA installs and detailing, for much less than the cost of custom cabinetry and their kitchen looks quite nice.

Any suggestions on electric fireplaces? Right now we are thinking of Modern Flames: https://www.modernflames.com/

JC100: I like that Mexican stuff and I think my wife will too! Reminds me of some of the bright and beautiful colours I've seen in the markets in the middle east.

I'm seriously considering putting one in our downstairs bathroom. I looked at what to do online and it seems pretty straightforward. This is the smallest room in our house too so it would be good practice. I was thinking of making the sink surround out of old hardwood boards or something. Maybe with several coats of boat varnish.

I'm seriously considering putting one in our downstairs bathroom. I looked at what to do online and it seems pretty straightforward. This is the smallest room in our house too so it would be good practice. I was thinking of making the sink surround out of old hardwood boards or something. Maybe with several coats of boat varnish.

Be careful with spar varnish. It's made to not dry hard so it can withstand the shock of cold water on a sun baked mast or deck without cracking. It's also UV resistant which you don't really need inside. It also smells boaty forever. Depends on whether you want the marine air.

Almost everything is low VOC now which means water based. I don't like the flow out rate on large surfaces. Could be OK if you spray. Or try epoxy. It doesn't withstand UV but if it's inside should work.

Remodeled our powder room a few years ago. Sink was from Tubs (Samor Dr North York). Marble mosiac tile with a marble border and baseboard.

Not fully finished in this photo - added a light wallpaper for the upper half of the walls with a thin molding to separate. Mrs FLSTC got this design from a Sarah Richardson TV show I think...

4uJ6UDu.jpg

Just remember when renovating/ remodeling , your quirky chic is another's WTF? Someday you may have to sell and chandaliers in bedrooms and train sets running through cat doors isn't for everybody.
There is a reason some designers get on TV, and you don't. Its not your haircut.

Back
Top Bottom