Mice/Mouse problem... | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Mice/Mouse problem...

Husband headed to Louisiana later this month to train with the dog. He'll be in gator area. I told him if he gets my dog eaten then not to come back home.

He says he's going to bring a couple of cats. Toss them in the pond, if they make it out then he will send the dog in!

Husband headed to Louisiana later this month to train with the dog. He'll be in gator area. I told him if he gets my dog eaten then not to come back home.

He says he's going to bring a couple of cats. Toss them in the pond, if they make it out then he will send the dog in!

What kind of training is he going all the way to LA for?

Method we use at cottage....
A bucket filled with water and anti freeze.
Put a rod through bucket with a can in the middle.
Smear peanut butter on can.
Put an accessibility ramp on bucket.
We do this during the winter months and it works like a charm.

What kind of training is he going all the way to LA for?

Dog trials. Acclimatized etc. Pretty much simulates a duck/bird hunt. It's the HRC Grand (5 days, 5 test setups,immediate elimination if she doesn't meet the standard). Our wee girl just rocked the CKC Master Nationals down in Nova Scotia.

Very proud of both of them. This will be her second Grand, and after that she will be titled as a Grand Champion.

giphy.gif

Wow! Congratulations, that is awesome. It really takes a special relationship to get your dog to work that closely with you.
Dog trials. Acclimatized etc. Pretty much simulates a duck/bird hunt. It's the HRC Grand (5 days, 5 test setups,immediate elimination if she doesn't meet the standard). Our wee girl just rocked the CKC Master Nationals down in Nova Scotia.

Very proud of both of them. This will be her second Grand, and after that she will be titled as a Grand Champion.

Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk

Since the thread has switched from mice to trained dogs can someone merge the thoughts with recommendations for a mousing dog?

Since the thread has switched from mice to trained dogs can someone merge the thoughts with recommendations for a mousing dog?

Can’t do that but how about hot dogs as bait in a mouse trap ???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My neighbour has an akita.There are never any pests in his yard.It's really cool to watch it when there is a mole under the lawn.Stalks it like a cat and then chomps down on the turf.Crunch!!!

Wow! Congratulations, that is awesome. It really takes a special relationship to get your dog to work that closely with you.

Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk

Thank you, this is our second Champion. They really do love it, as long as they trust you and have fun at it. Too much pressure can be harmful just as too little discipline can also be.

I used to have ferrets, they allegedly were great rodent catchers. I lived in an apt so they were just free roaming pets. I am also allergic to them I found out, but not nearly as bad as cats. As long as I washed my hands after contact I was relatively ok. Cats - I turn into a mess about 15 mins after walking through door. Or stay on Allegra.

Hmm. Mousing dog. We may be onto something...

Depends on the dog. Mine kills them on her own for sport. Grass, snow, kill rate is about the same. I find it interesting that she hunts them E/W-W/E in the snow like foxes. Listens then pounces head first.

43694980745_e0611c4e9d_b.jpg

29666528607_d09733b260_b.jpg

43694969265_071f4a5214_b.jpg

44605098251_b9a1273c56_b.jpg

Just a quick note, the pesticide laws changed in Canada a while ago. What you think you are buying is not normally what you are buying anymore. Wilsarin and Warfarin are now both corn cellulose. Yes, you give the rodents indigestion and hope they die. Ugh. Read the active ingredients before wasting any money on "poison".

Just a quick note, the pesticide laws changed in Canada a while ago. What you think you are buying is not normally what you are buying anymore. Wilsarin and Warfarin are now both corn cellulose. Yes, you give the rodents indigestion and hope they die. Ugh. Read the active ingredients before wasting any money on "poison".
Not quite. It was never a "poison", it was an anticoagulant. It still is an anticoagulant (using a different active ingredient which can be different between mft). They stopped using Warfarin because rodents were becoming tolerant of it.

Not quite. It was never a "poison", it was an anticoagulant. It still is an anticoagulant (using a different active ingredient which can be different between mft). They stopped using Warfarin because rodents were becoming tolerant of it.

As far as i know, the crappy corn cellulose stuff is not an anticoagulant.

I had a real bad mouse problem in my double detached garage for the last five years.I always had five or six traps set and got a mouse almost every day.I also had two little boxes of mouse poison set out.I started getting worried when I found a nest under the seat of my ST1300 next to the wiring harness.I went to get more traps this fall and they had a little kit made by Victor with six traps and two of the plug-in ultra sonic repellers.Since I plugged those two things in I have not caught one mouse and the bait in the traps has been untouched since October.Those things definitely work.The only concern is that I think my dog can hear them but it’s a detached garage and I unplug them when he’s out there with me.

I had a real bad mouse problem in my double detached garage for the last five years.I always had five or six traps set and got a mouse almost every day.I also had two little boxes of mouse poison set out.I started getting worried when I found a nest under the seat of my ST1300 next to the wiring harness.I went to get more traps this fall and they had a little kit made by Victor with six traps and two of the plug-in ultra sonic repellers.Since I plugged those two things in I have not caught one mouse and the bait in the traps has been untouched since October.Those things definitely work.The only concern is that I think my dog can hear them but it’s a detached garage and I unplug them when he’s out there with me.

A friend with a trailer that gets stored in a field would be interested if he knew how long they would run on a battery. The mice are making a mess of the interior.

How would a person know if the battery was dead and the repeller not working?

P.S. Found this so......................???

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZIy0lRxvPY

Skip to 1:45 for the experiment

Last edited:
How would a person know if the battery was dead and the repeller not working?

I can hear those bastard things. They drive me nuts, but my experience has been they did nothing for mice. It's good to know they are working for Bobo.

Edit:
It seems that youtube video agrees with my experience.

The first recommended video was this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-fJKdEL9XNg
wtf. vacuum mouse trap into a bucket of water? I don't want mice in my stuff either, but that thing is probably worse for the mouse than the old high bar of glue traps.

Last edited:
Cats caught a few last year. We could hear them in the ducts.

We haven't seen or heard anything this year, but the ducts are do for a good cleaning.

A neighbour had hundreds of them sucked out of their ducts last year.

Back
Top Bottom