Mice/Mouse problem... | GTAMotorcycle.com

Mice/Mouse problem...

perferd

So I either have a mouse or mice in my house cause I hear it/them in the drop down ceiling of my basement level. Also I literally saw one crawling in my laundry room wall. I could see it because there is no drywall up in that room just insulation and plastic stapled up.

I am wondering is it worth just calling a trapper to come take care of the whole issue or just set up some traps myself?

Thx

Had the same problem. Called one of those professionals after doing some research online. dude came over, did inspection inside and outside the house. Left around 8-10 baited posion traps all around the house and basement (small house). Haven't seen a single rat in the past 6 months.

Also he found several points of entry, which I sealed myself.

Cost was roughly $270. Well worth it IMO

That's what I was thinking. The biggest thing to me is finding the entry points and fixing those.

That's what I was thinking. The biggest thing to me is finding the entry points and fixing those.

huh? Just go looking/examining your house. Use a flashlight/something to poke at stuff. Might be a good for you to become familiar with your home.

So I either have a mouse or mice in my house cause I hear it/them in the drop down ceiling of my basement level. Also I literally saw one crawling in my laundry room wall. I could see it because there is no drywall up in that room just insulation and plastic stapled up.

I am wondering is it worth just calling a trapper to come take care of the whole issue or just set up some traps myself?

Thx

Depends if you want to trap them live or dead ;)

Figure out how to set snap traps, you're going to be doing it for a long time.
... put traps along the side of walls or on their established pathways, not out in the middle of the floor.
Want to see something really gross, fresh mouse pee is fluorescent under a black light :cool:

I'm prepared to go over the top to keep another one getting in. I've sealed any entry holes and plugged any interior holes that could give the critters a place to hide.

The other day I found where the last one was nesting and it had to climb six feet up a block wall to get to the box of rags on a shelf.

I'm looking for some gloss ceramic tiles to use as a baseboard. I figure they won't be able to climb the gloss surface.

I've plugged in one of those sonic deterrents and no longer throw old food wrappers into the garbage can I keep in the garage.

A few traps round out the system. If it keeps me from having to rewire a Goldwing it's worth the few bucks a year. It's also the last line of defense to keep them out of the rest of the house.

Rode my bike to work one day and just as I arrived somebody said 'something is leaking out of your motorcycle'
... I watched three more baby mice drop down onto the pavement :| must have been some ride for the poor little fellas.

Sat and watched a Mink chase down a mouse in my garage once, that was pretty cool! Mink are deadly mouse hunters! We need more Mink and less poison.

Bucket traps are very effective for large numbers of mice but nasty toxic dirty stinky if you don't keep them empty.

Sea-Doo's <- they have air vents for the hull, put screen over the air intakes or you will have destruction.

Last edited:
BTW: if you don't have a Mouse problem :| start watching for Rats, they eat the mice and if you see one you probably have lots of them.

I picked up some glue traps from Cdn Tire to go along with the standard mouse traps that I have set around the perimeter of the garage. Sometimes the mice are too small to set the trap off so I put one glue trap on each side of the garage door.

Anyways, I saw these on the shelf for those who may be interested:

$79.99 — sends alerts to your phone via wifi to let you know the trap has been triggered

e7f939884286af90e9554f3b521e6903.jpg

$29.99—similar product with no wifi communication

c9aaa7db0e5063a77d899fa98fb9e4a3.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Get a 5 gallon bucket fill it 3/4 with water, get a bag of whole sunflower seeds and pour in the bucket 2" depth on top of water then get a ramp 2 x 4 and sprinkle some seeds around your problems will disappear fast.

chipmunktrap6.jpg

Best way to get rid of mice in my opinion is to eliminate reasons they are there in the first place - block entry points and keep things clean/tidy so as not to attract them. Sometimes placing traps just makes things worse - they smell the bait and that's why they are there. For places like a cottage keep all food in air-tight containers (including oil, sugar, etc) and clean up well. If it's your primary residence that's a bit harder but the same holds true - if you have traps with bait set they will smell it and keep coming for it.

What about cats? I hear it's an old wives tale that cats keep mice away, but we have two house cats and have never had a problem with mice in the house... at the cottage that's another story.

mice problems in August indicate a bigger problem come winter
very difficult to keep the buggers out
old fashioned traps still work
a bit of peanut butter as bait
exercise caution if you have a dog :)

Best way to get rid of mice in my opinion is to eliminate reasons they are there in the first place - block entry points and keep things clean/tidy so as not to attract them. Sometimes placing traps just makes things worse - they smell the bait and that's why they are there. For places like a cottage keep all food in air-tight containers (including oil, sugar, etc) and clean up well. If it's your primary residence that's a bit harder but the same holds true - if you have traps with bait set they will smell it and keep coming for it.

Hadn’t seen mice around for ages up until a week ago. One walked across the front of the garage.

Next day I noticed one around the barbeque. Got it with my flip flop.

I put a trap with PB underneath in the back beside the drip tray and got 4 more. Nothing this morning though.

I hope they keep coming for it...I’d prefer to limit the population and keep them outside.

Next door has a vegetable garden which is a primary food source for rodents. Not much I can do about that.

Holy crap, summer mice?

This winter is gonna suck, i guess i'll start setting the traps right away and do a huge cleanup of my basement. I did use some steel wool to block the main entryway they couldve gotten into...

But yeah my neighbour across has 2 cats and she still had mice in her walls earlier this month. So cats mean nothing really.

Although my OTHER neighbour's cat goes outside so might have a better hunting instinct. Might also try the bucket one. Didn't try it the first time around. But i hate the glue traps.

One of them resulted in finding a mouse arm in the trap (it chewed it off) to then find it hidden and rotting somewhere else in the basement and the other one resulted in me drowning the damn thing cause i couldnt bring myself to hit it violently. Snap traps or nothing. I have an electric one but havent had the chance to use it yet.

The glue traps in the garage are for if they make it past the snap traps nearest the door.

I'd have an (outdoor) cat in an instant, if I didn't live on a highway. As much as dislike cats.....I don't hate them THAT much.

With a house built in 1870(ish), mice are a problem.

Poison. Put it out now. Make sure pets and your children can't access. Little buggers are headed in for the winter.

Fair warning.

Cats are free, get a new one every week till you get one with some road sense. Maybe nail the dead ones to the fence as a warning to the others.

Back
Top Bottom