Queen St and Coxwell. Damn left hand turners | GTAMotorcycle.com

Queen St and Coxwell. Damn left hand turners

A dash-cam captured a frightening collision between a car and motorcycle in Toronto’s west end on Monday morning that left the motorcyclist with serious but non-life-threatening injuries.

At-least the rider is alive and on their way to recovery! Hopefully there will be criminal charges seeing as how the Mercedes didn't even bother to stop or slow down when approaching the intersection

Even after hitting the rider... they just kept going with no signs of their break lights ever going off.

At-least the rider is okay and on their way to recovery! Hopefully there will be criminal charges seeing as how the Mercedes didn't even bother to stop or slow down when approaching the intersection

Even after hitting the rider... they just kept going with no signs of their break lights ever going off.
I believe the driver was trying to get off the road, maybe off to the side? As for not bothering to slow down or stop, the #1 excuse is "I did not see them coming". Ever since I got a new ride 2 months ago, I installed some LED headlights and I have been seen coming from far away. Maybe this rider had a weak headlight? Regardless, the driver has to try harder.

Any guesses as to the riders speed? It didn't seem excessive to me. He didn't appear to be wearing full gear but I'm not sure if that would be a big factor regarding injuries. He seemed to get about ten feet of air so the sudden change in direction being deflected from the car, a spin and ending up with the drop.

Distracted driving??? You don't have to be holding the phone, just involved in a deep conversation.

Any guesses as to the riders speed? It didn't seem excessive to me. He didn't appear to be wearing full gear but I'm not sure if that would be a big factor regarding injuries. He seemed to get about ten feet of air so the sudden change in direction being deflected from the car, a spin and ending up with the drop.

Distracted driving??? You don't have to be holding the phone, just involved in a deep conversation.
I think it's a simple "I didn't see him coming". He should have done a SMIDSY weave to make sure. I don't believe he was going to that fast. Also wearing shorts, ouch.

I see zero indication of braking on the part of the rider or the driver in the Bobo the clown car, lots of invisible happening there.

I see zero indication of braking on the part of the rider ....

Depends of if there was any indication of the cars intention. Did the driver signal, did they just pull a fast left either not seeing the bike or thinking they could make the left before the bike got there?

I see zero indication of braking on the part of the rider or the driver in the Bobo the clown car, lots of invisible happening there.

My feeling is that both were destination fixated. The mental processing time needed to react just wasn't there.

If one approaches every intersection with the assumption that someone is going to do something stupid the reaction time is shorter but it's not an enjoyable ride.

Depends of if there was any indication of the cars intention. Did the driver signal, did they just pull a fast left either not seeing the bike or thinking they could make the left before the bike got there?

Since a bike has a much smaller frontal area would it appear to be further away?

If one approaches every intersection with the assumption that someone is going to do something stupid the reaction time is shorter but it's not an enjoyable ride.
True but I don't know how to survive any other way.

Since a bike has a much smaller frontal area would it appear to be further away?
... only if the viewer totally lacks binocular vision.

The left turner actually started turning really early. I don’t see a turn signal either (only the four-way flashers after the accident occurred). There is another vehicle coming from the right which had to slam on its brakes to avoid getting caught up in the accident.

Wondering if the left turner fixated on the white on-coming SUV and didn’t see the motorcycle.

GWS Rider

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is harder to judge distance on a single point than two points (basically your mind knows headlights are ~5' apart and can much more accurately judge distance that way than triangulation on a single point of light). I'm not sure if your mind always assumes further, or if it could go either way.

Rider first comes into view at the right side of the video frame very close to 7 seconds into the video. At 8 seconds into the video, the rider's front wheel is very close to crossing the first streetcar track, and scaling from the video image, the bike has covered around 8 times its own length (which is about 7 feet) in that second, so 56 feet per second. Scaling from the white SUV (appears to be a Nissan Rogue), which we will presume to be around 15 feet long, there's around four and a half SUV-lengths from the right edge of the video frame to that first streetcar track, so 67 feet, less a little bit because at the 7 second mark, the bike is partly into the video frame. A fair estimate is 60 feet per second. That is about 66 km/h.

That's not a blistering pace, but it's too fast for conditions when there is a visible potential left-turner coming from the other direction. There is no discernible braking on the part of the rider.

Note the "40 begins" speed limit sign just on the other side of the intersection. I think it's a 50 zone on the approach to the intersection.

When this happened to me, years ago, my initial speed was around 60 km/h but the moment the car started turning I knew I was going to hit it. I hit the car with the front wheel locked, the rear wheel in the air, and in the process of low-siding. I probably knocked the impact speed down to 20 km/h. It did some damage to the bike, but I rode it away from the scene, fixed it and still have it to this day.

That's close to the ~54kph figure I calculated based on the bike's front wheel crossing the tracks (estimated at around 1.5m) and frame-by-frame timing.

It's certainly well within norms for city riding. Whether or not he was paying attention enough to see the situation developing and began taking defensive measures is unknown...

Even though there's no evidence of fork dive or rear wheel coming off the ground that would indicate hard braking, it's pretty likely that the rider at least shut the throttle and maybe did *some* braking in that second, so it is quite likely that we are both somewhere close.

Back
Top Bottom