Audi no longer offering manual transmission cars in Canada | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Audi no longer offering manual transmission cars in Canada

In the past when an automatic meant a slushbox, manuals were faster and they got better mileage, lots of power just created heat in a slushbox. There was a practical purpose...

Today when automatics are either CVTs or basically self shifting manuals (dual clutch...) the practical purpose of the manual is gone. Of course the computer can shift faster than I can, and make better shifting decisions...most of the time. Better mileage, faster 1/4 mile, etc.

What is missing is the fun, the journey so to speak. I enjoy cooking, so why buy a frozen dinner... Sometimes when something is better in every quantitative way, that is exactly why it is not as good. I for one (for now) will not buy an auto because my wife and I both enjoy driving manual. There is no "well lets get the auto and the next one will be manual" because odds are the next manual will not exist... I will get my enjoyment for now. We still have our Saabs, considering the Cadillac ATS, maybe a BMW as our next car, plus some others, I guess Audi is now off that list now.

One thing you guys have to remember is that the auto is not nearly as well tolerated in other countries. The manual is not going to disappear, just they may stop bringing it over here for a while for a given model. It has happened before.

Also look backwards on domestic offerings for the last fifty years. The "death" of the manual is not a recent phenomenon, only that it stopped being objectively superior. If the manual does truly disappear, I expect that by the time it happens most of you will no longer be in driving condition anyway

Back
Top Bottom