Audi no longer offering manual transmission cars in Canada | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Audi no longer offering manual transmission cars in Canada

Equipped with the CVT, new Civic gets better fuel economy over the Manual/Standard cars.

true, same with the Accord.

however, to add auto to an Accord is $1300 option, I could buy a lot of gas with that.

and its waaaaaay more fun

I have auto on my sporty SUV, and a manual on my family sedan. I choose the sedan every time for sheer driving enjoyment.

Last edited:
I've had a couple of manuals (Genesis 3.8 Coupe and Civic Si) and I do miss them...however...driving on the 401 daily back and forth b/w Mississauga and Yonge St I say good riddance. It was great in the morning but I hated every moment of the drive in the afternoon. The Volt gets rid of that issue and is a pleasure to just put it into D and go. Hell I rode the bike a lot last year as well to work and I hated the drive home so much I sold the bike...and now I can't make up my damn mind...dammit...now I'm sad again!
Shifting becomes second nature after a while. Been driving manual for so long that I don't even think about it, even in heavy stop 'n go traffic. I feel automatics make drivers lazy and more prone to using their phones while driving. Not to mention, auto is just so boring.

Sucks that rentals are all autos. Would like be to drive a manual on the icefields Pkwy.

Last edited:
true, same with the Accord.

however, to add auto to an Accord is $1300 option, I could buy a lot of gas with that.

and its waaaaaay more fun

I have dual clutch on my sporty SUV, and a manual on my family sedan. I choose the sedan every time for sheer driving enjoyment.
Accord V6 stick shift FTW. Just so much fun to drive. Sucks that Honda discontinued their V6 all together.

Shifting becomes second nature after a while. Been driving manual for so long that I don't even think about it, even in heavy stop 'n go traffic. I feel automatics make drivers lazy and more prone to using their phones while driving. Not to mention, auto is just so boring.

Sucks that rentals are all autos. Would like be to drive a manual on the icefields Pkwy.

Drove and skied a bunch along the icefields. That I get chills just looking at my pics from that trip. Hopefully no one totals my car this winter and I get to do it again.

In Italy auto rentals were 3x the price. Same car. Way to shaft the north Americans.

12742709_10153877238043815_3466907292257061371_n.jpg

Drove and skied a bunch along the icefields. That I get chills just looking at my pics from that trip. Hopefully no one totals my car this winter and I get to do it again.

In Italy auto rentals were 3x the price. Same car. Way to shaft the north Americans.

12742709_10153877238043815_3466907292257061371_n.jpg
Nice! Looks awesome. I love driving from Banff to Jasper on Icefields.

Certainly part of this is to advance the cause of autonomy and removing control from the driver. TBW, SBW, BBW, even keyless start/stop etc; the clutch and shift lever were among the last vestiges of manual control left to the sack of meat at the "steering wheel."

Another part is generational change. Used to be not so long ago that dad would spend a good part of Saturday under the hood of the car with his kid handing him tools or holding the light or whatever. Cars don't need that much anymore and kids don't care anymore. Nowadays if dad can't start the lawnmower he wheels it to the curb and buys a new one (even though all it needed was a carb cleaning or something...) Mechanical knowledge and intimacy is a thing of the past. People just want to be surrounded by luxury leather and fine stitching and expensive graining and a screen that mimics their phone. The dirty, icky business of stirring a gearbox or sensing the contact patches through a finely honed rack and pinion is a dying art.

It certainly hasn't helped that governments have made the cost of certifying multiple drivetrains so expensive for auto makers.

Some of these posts sound like they were written in 1940, complaining about the Oldsmobile Hydramatic

have to go back to the time of 3 speed autos with locking TC
to get more efficiency from a manual
autos trans have been more economical for a long time

my 2 offspring are gen Z and both are fine with a 6 speed manual
but they were blessed with advantageous genes :D

I'm just not a car guy, so auto car. For fun I ride, so changing gears is not even thought about, it just happens.

Anyone know when the RS5 Sportback is due?

Now that you mention it, it is kinda weird that you can't get the A5/S5/RS5 with a manual. Nobody would buy that car because they think it's fast, they would ostensibly buy it for entertainment

Automation came for your job and now it's coming for your fun, too.

Sporty cards = expensive cars = status symbols. Dealerships don't want slow selling status symbols. Where are you going to really drive them anyway? The GTA is surrounded by kilometers and kilometers of poorly planned, clogged suburbs. People are smart phone enthusiasts now. How many here are using one RIGHT NOW?

Buy a cheap Japanese car, make it a sleeper and turn the traction control off.

Do Audi drivers even care about that? lol... I'm actually surprised it wasn't Haldex already and that "Quattro" once referred to a specific technology
Other than Jon Olsson, some guys in the alps, jalopnik and I, no one will notice the loss of the greatest drivetrain for loose surfaces.

Rumor is the next Gen M3/M4 will be all DCT. I'm going to hold on to mine for another year and hope Porsche doesn't change it's mind soon.

"At the moment 85 percent of Porsche’s global 911 production comes equipped with the PDK automatic, although that figure is trending downward of late. But Mössle insists that, for as long as any sizable number of 911 customers want to buy a stick-equipped 911, the company will continue to offer one, a commitment that seemingly extends to Porsche’s other sports car offerings."
https://www.caranddriver.com/news/porsche-committed-to-manual-transmissions-for-as-long-as-possible

Back
Top Bottom