Audi no longer offering manual transmission cars in Canada | GTAMotorcycle.com

Audi no longer offering manual transmission cars in Canada

Very sad, but a sign of the times.

Millennials must find it too hard to work the radio, text, drink a coffee, and shift gears all at once...

The dual-clutch automatic trannies have become so good these days that there's zero advantage (performance, fuel-efficiency, etc) to rowing your own gears.

Other than it's heck of a lot more fun, that is...

Yeah, sadly, other than initial purchase price and maintenance, the dual-clutch automatics quite handily beat conventional standard transmission in almost every other metric. From a manufacturer perspective the steep price for dual-clutch maintenance is probably an upside.

Millennials must find it too hard to work the radio, text, drink a coffee, and shift gears all at once...
Not all millennials are the same. I've been driving manual since I was 16. Bought a new car 5 years ago, also manual.

Loved driving manual when I was younger and I still do; the feeling is hard to match. Dual clutch automatics though are the way of the future. After driving an Evo X and a Golf R with those, there's no doubt in my mind that they're the way forward... they vastly outperform.

Not surprised to see Audi make this move.

Not all millennials are the same. I've been driving manual since I was 16. Bought a new car 5 years ago, also manual.

Fine... "most millennials". There. Happy now?

I remember being 17 and buying my 1st car which was a manual, having never driven a manual before.

My buddy went with me when I went to look at it and test drove it for me.

Getting it home during rush hour Scarborough traffic was the best crash course ever!

Took a few days to become somewhat proficient.

Looks like the used market with manuals will hold their value or increase in the later years, especially the special editions....

Watch them skyrocket in the next 5-10 years because you simply won't be able to get anything close enough if you want a manual AUDI.

Unfortunate that future generations will never be able to have a modern AUDI with manual gears.... although that might introduce tyranny swap kits xD

One thing that bugs me on non stick cars is the lack of tactile fell of what gear I'm in.

I hope kia/hyundai pucks up the slack and copies some nice AWD manual wagons.

Looks like the used market with manuals will hold their value or increase in the later years, especially the special editions....

Watch them skyrocket in the next 5-10 years because you simply won't be able to get anything close enough if you want a manual AUDI.

Unfortunate that future generations will never be able to have a modern AUDI with manual gears.... although that might introduce tyranny swap kits xD
I have the final year manual wagon. It was not much more expensive than an auto, but it took me a few months to find one that I liked. I been keeping an eye on the used market and manual a4 wagons don't go for a premium. They are rare because very few people wanted them and very few people want them now.

Yeah, I had one of the last C-Class manuals in Canada. Although they were hard to find, the dealership seemed more than happy to let it go at a discount. I assume they had trouble selling it.

Nobody was interested in it when I was trying to sell it myself.

I can see the same thing happening with Audi manuals.

People are generally lazy. Almost two decades ago my dad got a great deal on a Golf because it had manual windows and they were having trouble moving it. It's shocking how little it takes to turn many people off.

Standards are disappearing from premium cars as dual-clutch is "better" and if you get a cheap car with a standard and plan on getting any money on a sale, good luck. The last bastions where a used standard is actually perceived as a positive (or at least neutral) appears to be Subaru and VW. In almost every other case, the price spread between manual and auto exceeds the original spread. That won't last much longer.

Hell, this may be my last standard daily driver. My wife is capable of driving it, but hates it and refuses to. It would be much more convenient if either one of us could drive either car.

For my toy cars/bikes on the street, there really is no need to go faster or have slightly better fuel economy so those will probably stay standard for as long as possible.

we just bought a new BMW, with exception to an M2 there are no manuals on the lot. You want one they order it in and you wait months. Ferrari doesnt offer one, most manufacturers will go that route for NA shortly.

I tried my co-worker's zf-8 speed challenger and now I don't make fun of him anymore. Really impressive transmission. I'm already thinking my car will be a dsg. I believe underpowered cars like the miata still require a manual to be fun, though.

I think the only exception to this are the Civic Nation Ricers.

Honda will always offer a Civic with a stick. Forever.

Equipped with the CVT, new Civic gets better fuel economy over the Manual/Standard cars.

Don't know many millennials that could afford a new Audi. I am one, and drive a manual Jetta because it was literally the cheapest car at the dealership.

I've had a couple of manuals (Genesis 3.8 Coupe and Civic Si) and I do miss them...however...driving on the 401 daily back and forth b/w Mississauga and Yonge St I say good riddance. It was great in the morning but I hated every moment of the drive in the afternoon. The Volt gets rid of that issue and is a pleasure to just put it into D and go. Hell I rode the bike a lot last year as well to work and I hated the drive home so much I sold the bike...and now I can't make up my damn mind...dammit...now I'm sad again!

With the way the bank lends one money, buying a brand new AUDI thats 100K+ isn't so far of a stretch these days.

I do understand that manual vehicles will become more rare because we have more idiotic consumers that can't be bothered or the traffic (which is mainly due to people not knowing how to drive).

It really does come down to what you need the vehicle for... If you are commuting a lot and you have to deal with noobs on a daily basis, sure... a manual approach can become annoying..

However, if you are talking about a nice weekend car where you can just enjoy and have fun, there is no way that an auto will ever feel the same.

It's not like you really need to go any faster with the way cars are now so having a dual clutch really doesn't help unless you want to get into even more trouble. :p

Driving stick is just a different way of driving, you are more engaged with the vehicle and you are constantly thinking about how you are moving, switching gears and controlling the power.

I do have to say that the new auto's are still fun to drive and they can be very exciting, it's just sad that this is the way AUDI decided to go.

For all we really know, in the next 100+ years, most of the population will not even be driving anymore but will merely be passengers. I'd actually prefer that because I know all this idiotic behavior of hogging the left lane or blocking the roadway by driving parallel to slow moving vehicles will be a thing of the past and would allow for me to zoom by and enjoy the road. Of course, I'm going to be speeding past everyone, that's just the way I drive and ride and will until I can no-longer so having a manual transmission will always be something I'll want, regardless of how much farther we are into the future.

Back
Top Bottom