Heck of a price for an empty can of beer | GTAMotorcycle.com

Heck of a price for an empty can of beer

Ppl collect all sorts of stuff. Sold some Coke cans from the middle east and China before. All sorts of "vintage" stuff gets sold that would have been thrown away. And it's not just old ppl buying vintage either.

Ppl collect all sorts of stuff. Sold some Coke cans from the middle east and China before. All sorts of "vintage" stuff gets sold that would have been thrown away. And it's not just old ppl buying vintage either.

Americans are loopy for their beer cans. I was walking around the infield of Unadilla at the USGP in 78 with a suitcase of Brador. They were all "OMG what is that? I NEED that can!" and were following me around asking me for them when I was finished.

Actual value $0.001 as scrap. The "Buy it now" price of $125 USD is for someone who either knows more about beer cans than me or is dumber.

The investment value people put on things of no use scares me.

I saw a set of fender skirts for a 64 Ford on eBay for About $450 USD, Buy it now. I had just paid $35 CAN for a set. I don't have or want the car but the skirts are going to be a man cave decoration after rust removal experimentation.

it's the whole collectable market. I don't get most of it....but Im not much of a collector, nostalgia does nothing for me.

I have 2 rare cans stowed in my basement - one is an original Coke Zero can from when it first came out and the cans were silver instead of black. I also have another one from when my wife had a H&S contract at a can manufacturing facility - it's a real Coke can but instead of a traditional pop top on it, it has a piggy bank style coin slot...but it's not a purpose built one, you'd have to destroy the can to get the money out as it's otherwise a real production Coke can.

These are my retirement plan.

Kidding about the last bit. They're just kinda cool and unique. I actually found a vending machine with the old silver style Coke Zero advertising on it a few weeks back...that was kinda cool as well.

I decided collections and stuff in general that I don't use actively, aren't going to do me any good when I'm dead and they are just taking up space now, so sold them off.

I have a pair of empty Coke cans from the BJs winning the World Series 25 years ago... a scan of Kijiji tells me it's gonna be maybe 100 years before they're worth anything

I have a pair of empty Coke cans from the BJs winning the World Series 25 years ago... a scan of Kijiji tells me it's gonna be maybe 100 years before they're worth anything

Ah yes, the “collectable” commemorative cans.

The cardinal rule about collectibles is that if it says “collectable” on it anywhere, it’s not. And it’ll never be worth more than what’s you paid for it. ;)

Ah yes, the “collectable” commemorative cans.

The cardinal rule about collectibles is that if it says “collectable” on it anywhere, it’s not. And it’ll never be worth more than what’s you paid for it. ;)

not necessarily true....just have to wait for the right buyer. ;)

not necessarily true....just have to wait for the right sucker. ;)

Fixed that for you.
HiHi.gif

I decided collections and stuff in general that I don't use actively, aren't going to do me any good when I'm dead and they are just taking up space now, so sold them off.

I once had three collectible wooden boats in my back yard but decided I didn't want to run a museum. If I enjoy having something that's fine but holding onto stuff with little chance of gain isn't for me.

A friend has a 2003 Harley. When does it become a big deal?

A friend has a 2003 Harley. When does it become a big deal?

Never, because everyone and their brother owns the same bike, and 50 years from now it'll still be in the same condition.

The Harley's that are worth big money today were 60-70+ years ago treated like todays Metrics - ridden hard and put away wet, never planned to collect it or to even keep it around. They weren't even taken particularly good care of. They were utilitarian. The ones that survived were more because of luck than any intentional effort to ensure such.

IMHO there's a far better chance of the less common metrics from the last 10-30 years being worth more than today's HD's simply because there won't be a lot of the metrics around, while in 50 years...everyones still gonna have their 80's, 90's, 2000++ HD's in their garage - they'll be like old Corvette's - only the actual rare ones will be worth anything, all the rest are gonna be cheap and plentiful.

Things like the Honda Rune, the CBX1000, old BSA's and BMW's and the more obscure but not intentionally collectible metrics from all the other manufacturers will be the ones to watch IMHO.

Never, because everyone and their brother owns the same bike, and 50 years from now it'll still be in the same condition.

The Harley's that are worth big money today were 60-70+ years ago treated like todays Metrics - ridden hard and put away wet, never planned to collect it or to even keep it around. They weren't even taken particularly good care of. They were utilitarian. The ones that survived were more because of luck than any intentional effort to ensure such.

IMHO there's a far better chance of the less common metrics from the last 10-30 years being worth more than today's HD's simply because there won't be a lot of the metrics around, while in 50 years...everyones still gonna have their 80's, 90's, 2000++ HD's in their garage - they'll be like old Corvette's - only the actual rare ones will be worth anything, all the rest are gonna be cheap and plentiful.

Things like the Honda Rune, the CBX1000, old BSA's and BMW's and the more obscure but not intentionally collectible metrics from all the other manufacturers will be the ones to watch IMHO.

One realistic point of view is if it wasn't popular when it was new it won't be popular when it's old. The 2003 HD has the usual HD popularity but the over emphasis on the 100 year mark may hold things back until the 2103 models come out and people want the pair.

Back
Top Bottom