Bike can't shift after new clutch plates installed. Any Ideas? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Bike can't shift after new clutch plates installed. Any Ideas?

The clutch was slipping on my 1987 Kawasaki 250R so I decided to replace it. I disconnected the cable, turned the release cable counterclockwise 90 degrees, then the clutch cover, then the spring plate, then the plates. I then replaced with new ones soaked in oil for 24 hours and put everything back in order of what the service manual said. I then adjusted the cable so when I pull the clutch there was only 3mm of slack. But now when I start the bike and try to put it in first gear I can hear it engage but when I release the clutch nothing happens. It's like the bike was still in neutral. Do you guys have any idea what might be the issue?

OEM Parts was purchased

All springs are in properly as stated in the service manual

I put all 4 steels and 5 friction plates as stated in the service manual and that was what originally in the bike

The clutch release arm isn't engaging properly with the push rod. Take the cover off and try again.

Remove the cable, if you have no clutch engagement now you definitely have it together wrong and when you are bolting everything up, the casing bolts must be working against your clutch springs :| Before you bolted it up did the engine casings mate together easy or did the bolts have to squeeze everything into position against the pressure of the clutch springs?

Whatever is wrong, you're going to have to take it apart anyway to fix it, so you might as well take it apart now to find out what the problem is

Whatever is wrong, you're going to have to take it apart anyway to fix it, so you might as well take it apart now to find out what the problem is

I'm certain it must be something with the clutch release lever not engaging properly. I will open and try again. If you guys have any ideas feel free to keep sending them my way :eek:

Did you check that the marks are lined up? I believe it’s on the basket and last plate that holds it all together.

I'm certain it must be something with the clutch release lever not engaging properly. I will open and try again. If you guys have any ideas feel free to keep sending them my way :eek:

Sounds like you are on the right path here... I've watched a few apprentices struggle getting that cover back on correctly with the pull lever set to the correct spot.

Back
Top Bottom